Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry

Old 2nd October 2008, 04:15 PM

Would Boeing have to pick up the tab on that?
Old 2nd October 2008, 04:19 PM
Banned

http://www.vaustralia.com.au/about-u.../P_005714.html

Old 2nd October 2008, 04:35 PM

They would probably accommodate them on UA which would be the closest aligned partner out of QF,NZ or UA. if they preferred to go on a different flight.
Old 2nd October 2008, 05:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhys Xanthis View Post
Would Boeing have to pick up the tab on that?

More than likely there would be some sort of compensation from Boeing.
Old 2nd October 2008, 07:22 PM

Not new news but look who got their name in the article:

Quote:

V Australia launch postponed
By staff writers October 02, 2008 05:02pm
In an email to those who have booked tickets for the airline’s first services, V Australia blamed a strike at an aircraft factory for the cancellation of all services between December 15 and January 16.
About 64 flights would be cancelled, affecting “thousands” of customers who had already booked tickets for the first month of services, an airline spokeswoman said.

“As you may be aware from media reports, Boeing has ceased assembling aircraft at its Seattle factory due to the fact that 27,000 members of the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers have been on strike since 6 September 2008,” V Australia executive Scott Swift said.

“V Australia has three Boeing 777-300ER aircraft in advanced production at the factory.

“It is in these circumstances that we feel we have no choice but to delay our V Australia launch and have nominated a revised V Australia launch date of 28 February 2009 to protect the interests of our guests.”

'It was a shock," said Tania Cammarano, who with her partner was booked on a V Australia return flight to LA just before Christmas for a three-week stay in the US.

"We had spent a lot of time putting together our travel plans and the domestic US flights are non-refundable

"However the email seems reassuring and we trust V Australia will do the right thing."

Another customer, Shameel Kumar from Sydney, was booked in to fly to the US with his girlfriend to be with her family after Christmas.

“I was just going over for a holiday… my girlfriend lives over there, so I was going to spend some time with her,” Mr Kumar said.

“If (the tickets) are going to be refunded, I’ll probably try to book another flight.

“The fare’s are probably very high (around Christmas)… it probably will be quite costly.”

Customers who had booked flights in December and mid-January had the option of changing their booking to a later flight or a full refund, the email said.

The airline also said it would try to “secure an alternative flight on another airline” if the customer requested it.

“We will be contacting everyone in departure date order, so please be patient as it will take us a little time.”

Other Virgin airlines would not be affected by the strike, Mr Swift said.
Geez Shameel...I think they'll name their first plane after you
Old 2nd October 2008, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhys Xanthis View Post

This is something VAustralia do not need, if its true. One would've thought getting into the market ASAP is top priority.
Yep this will hurt them BIG time, as Dec/Jan is PEAK PEAK travel time for people heading to the USA to ski.

I know of at least 20 people with bookings on V Australia, that are waiting to hear from V Australia.

One person has and they were offered flighs on Hawaiian airlines, which didn't suit them due to the extra time needed
Old 3rd October 2008, 06:38 AM

Having spoken to VAustralia after a 2 hour wait, can confirm that they have an agreement with QF to get everyone between now and launch date on a QF flight if they want the flights shifted to another airline.

I have been told that I should receive a response in the next few days as to whether they have confirmed it or what the options are.

Yep, QF A380 here we come!!

Alex.
Old 3rd October 2008, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg McDonald View Post
Geez Shameel...I think they'll name their first plane after you
Hahaha... a nice Business Class ticket would be enough of a recognition.

Well, now due to these changes I won't be able to fly V Australia at all. My circumstances are such that after my flurry of upcoming flights I won't be doing an international flight for another 2 years, so there goes all my excitement about flying V Australia and their 77Ws.

But as Alex has just said, looks like us VA passengers might get to enjoy QF's A380s if we're lucky. That's a fair trade-off I guess.

Ah well.. watcha gonna do aye.

As for that news article featuring me... I get home from work and I get a call, and it's a guy from News.com.au. I hadn't heard anything about the VA delays, I first heard it from him, so I was a tad skeptical about it all (mainly in a bit of disbelief and disappointment). I guess all my VAustralia ranting and excitement got me somewhere.
Old 3rd October 2008, 05:15 PM

Check out this photo from Matt Cawby's PAE website:

http://paineairport.com/images/kpae4163.jpg

Looks like all the 777s sitting there in the parking lot have got engines covers and cockpit window shades applied.

What a sad sight...
Old 6th October 2008, 09:13 AM

Default Boeing strike in Seattle now affecting Southern California travelers and businesses

Quote:

New airline V Australia cancels some flights because it doesn't expect to get the jets it had ordered any time soon. Layoffs loom at local aircraft parts suppliers that aren't receiving new orders.
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...,1467232.story