Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 29th October 2008, 05:44 AM

Default Air NZ - DIY Check-in System at Airport from Monday

How is it NZ can get this up before Aus?

I love e check in. I hate the fact you then have to line up to put your bag on. The mobile phone boarding pass os cool too. Bring it on here in Aus please.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/aviation/n...ectid=10539847

Quote:
4:00AM Wednesday Oct 29, 2008
Marika Hill

Air New Zealand's new self service check-in machines will help speed up processes.
Air New Zealand domestic travellers will from Monday be able to print bag tags, drop their luggage directly on to a conveyor belt, and get their boarding pass using their mobile phone.

The new self-service approach, designed to speed up the check-in and boarding process, will see almost 40 check-in kiosks replace many traditional service desks at Auckland airport.

Air New Zealand domestic airline general manager Stephen Jones said the $30 million streamlining project should see the average queue time drop from 15 minutes to one minute.
...continues
Old 29th October 2008, 11:50 AM

I hope they make it ridiculously obvious you have to put the baggage tag onto your bag...if not, that could create some serious trouble!
Old 1st November 2008, 12:38 AM

I remember reading that Alaska Airlines tried a full self-service check-in years ago and passengers liked everything but putting the bag tag on. They seemed to want someone else to do it just because they wanted to make sure their bag ended up in the right place.

It will be interesting to see if any other airlines adopt a full self-service check-in.

One question--how will overweight bags be monitored?