Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Technical > Flying and Technical Discussion

Old 9th February 2017, 08:37 PM

Default History of Australian ICAO designators

G'day all I just reading a couple of articles about OJA's record delivery flight in August 1989. On the attached flight plan Australia seemed to be using ICAO codes beginning with "A" at the time ie. ASSY for Sydney and AMML for Melbourne. I just wondering of anyone can shed any light as to when we changed to the currently used ICAO codes beginning with"Y"?

Also unrelated to the above question when did we close the the SY and PH FIRs?

http://www.aussieairliners.org/b-747...hojastory.html

I can't seem to find any information with a google search.

Thanks,
Old 10th February 2017, 05:27 AM
Prolific Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Carruthers View Post
On the attached flight plan Australia seemed to be using ICAO codes beginning with "A" at the time ie. ASSY for Sydney and AMML for Melbourne. I just wondering of anyone can shed any light as to when we changed to the currently used ICAO codes beginning with"Y"?

Also unrelated to the above question when did we close the the SY and PH FIRs?
Jason, your questions are related and the answer is because of tarts.

Tarts being the abbreviation of TAAATS, https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_...Traffic_System

I am not sure what the precise dates of closure were, but TAAATS was introduced in 1998 and commissioned in March 2000. Prior to that each FIR had its own control centre. TAAATS saw Australia go from six to two FIRs.

The Sydney control centre looked after ASSY and was located at Kyeemagh underneath the old tower. As you drive along General Holmes drive looking at the building you will see some windows and a fire escape towards the right end of the building, that's the old Area Approach Control Centre. In the AACC the airspace was divided into 7 areas or sectors for enroute control, sectors 1/2 for north, sectors 3/4 for south, sectors 5/6 for Oceanic/West and Sector 8 for RAAF/Military mainly Richmond and associated areas. There was also an arrivals north/south position and an approach/departures section as well. Controllers were also in the tower and located in a secondary tower at the ITB, called the SMACA.

Along with the move to TAAATS, Australia's airspace underwent significant changes in uncontrolled areas as well, with the demise of flight service which looked after traffic advisories and SARwatch. Operational control and pilot briefing also went, Sydney OPs control was located in between the two domestic terminals adjacent to what used to be the regional terminal for Eastern etc. If you look closely you will see a roller door (I think it's still there), that's not a garage but was in fact a store for search and rescue equipment, as the search and rescue coordination centre was also located in the same building. AMSA took over this around the same time as OPs control shut down, and the coordination centre went to Canberra.

The airways museum at Essendon is worth a look if anyone has an interest in Aviation, although as an ex controller I find it somewhat amusing to see consoles that I worked on now part of a museum exhibit! They also have some good exhibits on navaids and the like. Australia historically has led the way for the world in Aviation safety, and the people behind the museum have done an excellent job in preserving a lot of that history that we all should be proud of.

http://www.airwaysmuseum.com
Old 13th February 2017, 08:30 PM

From a now sadly-missed instructor when I went through the ATC college:

Quote:
They should come up with a new name for TAAATS... it's no longer Advanced!
Old 14th February 2017, 06:55 PM
Prolific Member

Henty House or elsewhere?
Old 15th February 2017, 02:42 PM

Elsewhere, I'm not that old!!
Old 17th February 2017, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkR View Post
Jason, your questions are related and the answer is because of tarts.

Tarts being the abbreviation of TAAATS, https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_...Traffic_System

I am not sure what the precise dates of closure were, but TAAATS was introduced in 1998 and commissioned in March 2000. Prior to that each FIR had its own control centre. TAAATS saw Australia go from six to two FIRs.

The Sydney control centre looked after ASSY and was located at Kyeemagh underneath the old tower. As you drive along General Holmes drive looking at the building you will see some windows and a fire escape towards the right end of the building, that's the old Area Approach Control Centre. In the AACC the airspace was divided into 7 areas or sectors for enroute control, sectors 1/2 for north, sectors 3/4 for south, sectors 5/6 for Oceanic/West and Sector 8 for RAAF/Military mainly Richmond and associated areas. There was also an arrivals north/south position and an approach/departures section as well. Controllers were also in the tower and located in a secondary tower at the ITB, called the SMACA.

Along with the move to TAAATS, Australia's airspace underwent significant changes in uncontrolled areas as well, with the demise of flight service which looked after traffic advisories and SARwatch. Operational control and pilot briefing also went, Sydney OPs control was located in between the two domestic terminals adjacent to what used to be the regional terminal for Eastern etc. If you look closely you will see a roller door (I think it's still there), that's not a garage but was in fact a store for search and rescue equipment, as the search and rescue coordination centre was also located in the same building. AMSA took over this around the same time as OPs control shut down, and the coordination centre went to Canberra.

The airways museum at Essendon is worth a look if anyone has an interest in Aviation, although as an ex controller I find it somewhat amusing to see consoles that I worked on now part of a museum exhibit! They also have some good exhibits on navaids and the like. Australia historically has led the way for the world in Aviation safety, and the people behind the museum have done an excellent job in preserving a lot of that history that we all should be proud of.

http://www.airwaysmuseum.com
Spent 3 great years (89-92) working as a Flght Data in SYD TWR, the Control Centre and over at OPS/briefing office ( next to the TAA terminal).
Old 18th February 2017, 09:54 AM
Prolific Member

We must of worked together at one stage, I checked out on Sydney Sector 3/4 after training in 89, having done 5 years as a FDO, initially in Sydney and later in Melbourne. Di Dickens was the check controller that checked me out, very talented person.

Last edited by MarkR; 18th February 2017 at 06:11 PM.
Old 2nd May 2017, 08:51 PM

Di! She was my manager before Kin M. Transition, good times.

But YSSY etc existed at least since mid 90s. Must have been tied in with the consolidation of Melbourne and Brisbane FIRs to their current size?

Only a few years left of those, then we'll probably be back to the Australian FIR. YAAA to assume YMMM and YBBB?