Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry

Old 3rd April 2008, 08:02 PM

Default Jetstar to singapore deals from Melbourne

Hi All,
Just doing my daily play around the airline websites looking for specials and i notice JQ have a Mel to Sin sale on $199 each way so i put in some dummy dates and got the fares $395 return, i was so tempted to book at that price, it is unbelievable, but my wife wasnt too keen on me leaving her at home in june with a couple week old baby. (ok fair enough)
But it got me thinking, what sort of business would JQ get on this route if they put the A330 on it direct from melbourne? At similair prices i think they would make a bundle considering the closest fare i could find on a full service airline was over a thousand bucks for the same dates, direct.

What do others think?
Old 3rd April 2008, 09:54 PM

Jamie, at those rates they probably get heaps of business, thing is though there probably isn't all that many seats at that price. Its all about yield management for any airline, full service or LCC. As the cheap seats sell the more expensive seats come online to cover costs and make the money.

A shame (sort of...) that you couldn't take up the seats though, that is a bargin.

Cheers

M
Old 3rd April 2008, 10:02 PM

That Jetstar fare I believe is the Jetlite fare, meaning you can only take hand baggage for the flight. Add $20 and you get the jetsaver one, which allows you to check in 20kg of baggage.

JQ wouldn't be operating the A330 (which they are quite stretched for already) on this Melbourne - Singapore route. Jetstar established this route to compete directly with Tiger Airways who offer a one stop Singapore service via Darwin. Jetstar are doing exactly the same. Routing would be Melbourne - Darwin - Singapore and I believe the flight connects with the one from Cairns in Darwin before heading to Singapore.

I wouldn't travel on a A320 for 10 hours if I could avoid it.

Alex.
Old 4th April 2008, 09:03 AM

Not to mention its carry-on baggage only too..
Old 4th April 2008, 09:40 AM

Jetsaver Light= $355 return (return taxes cheaper)
Jetsaver= $395 return

Ok, unless you are good at stuffing a bag full of stuff, Id pay the extra for Jetsaver

BUT, none fo these deals even comes close to Tiger's $350 return sale( few months back, and that INCLUDED baggage )

Old 6th April 2008, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Lui View Post
Routing would be Melbourne - Darwin - Singapore and I believe the flight connects with the one from Cairns in Darwin before heading to Singapore.

Alex.
No. DRW-CNS is twice daily. Same aircraft for MEL-DRW-SIN.
Old 6th April 2008, 12:00 PM

Surely they cant make profit of these fares?, could they??

Old 6th April 2008, 12:38 PM

I think they would treat it as a "marketing expense"... by having these sorts of fares it creates awareness of the route. So in future when Melbournians are thinking of flying to Singapore they will remember that Jetstar flies there.
Old 6th April 2008, 12:39 PM

True, I guess they have plenty of money to burn. Would Jetstar be about the third or fourth most profitable "low-cost airline" in the world?? Just curious

Last edited by Lukas M; 6th April 2008 at 12:53 PM.
Old 6th April 2008, 01:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukas Mahoney View Post
True, I guess they have plenty of money to burn. Would Jetstar be about the third or fourth most profitable "low-cost airline" in the world?? Just curious
GOL of Brazil, Ryan Air and Virgin Blue are the three most profitable airlines in the world in that order.

http://www.crikey.com.au/Business/20...the-world.html