Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 9th April 2008, 03:33 PM

Default Another pathetic News Article

Jetstar blamed for missed reunion with dad

9:59a.m. 9 April 2008

Never again. That’s how Trish Henderson feels about booking a flight with Jetstar after a few minutes standing in a queue prevented her from being reunited with her father for the first time in 20 years.

Trish is still seething after being told her $270 return ticket from Maroochydore to Melbourne was worthless when she reached the front of the line on Friday night.

Her family had been planning the reunion since December and she had been looking forward to seeing her father and meeting her half sisters for months.

The Buderim woman said she arrived at the terminal at 5.55pm for the 6.45pm flight and joined the sole Jetstar queue just before 6.10pm.

“There were two people behind the Jetstar desk but only one check-in counter was open and about six people in line,” Trish said.

Trish said that after waiting their turn: “I gave (the ticket counter staff) my ticket and he said, ‘This ticket is no good – you’re four minutes late’.

“I could understand if I had got there late but not when I had been standing in line.

“After the way I was treated I’m never flying with them again, that’s for sure.”

Jetstar said its policy was that passengers must check in 30 minutes before departure. It said Trish had had even more leeway than usual because the flight was unexpectedly delayed.

Airline spokeswoman Simone Pregellio said the check-in was left open for an extra 15 minutes and staff made an announcement to passengers and combed the queue for anyone still waiting to check in before closing the flight.

Ms Pregellio said she understood Ms Henderson arrived 15 minutes prior to the scheduled time of departure, and by then the flight had closed, paperwork was completed and staff were preparing to board passengers.

“Our check-in staff, whilst sympathetic to Ms Henderson’s situation, were unable to assist her to meet this flight due to her very late arrival,” Ms Pregellio said

The Media in Australia Really do make me wonder!
Maybe the woman should use the Web-Check its so easy! And maybe get there on time, Some people are just lazy just rock on up to the desk when they feel.
I fly JQ all the time! They call people up when there is large queues.
Old 9th April 2008, 03:45 PM

Its Jetstar - they make news for everything. The media just love reporting any bad stories about them but no positive ones make the news.

If the same thing happened on DJ it wouldn't make news
Old 9th April 2008, 03:49 PM

I know that is so dodgy, the media are so anti JQ.....
But come on its almost to the standard of.......

'Oh No Old Lady Missed the Bus This Morning'
Bus Operator should be ashamed for being on time!
Old 9th April 2008, 03:55 PM

Maybe we should also have the headlines "Person from YSSY Board finds article they don't like".

As much as we don't like the media, the continual media bashing on this board seems to go on and on and on like a bad record.

Paul
Old 9th April 2008, 03:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah C View Post
Its Jetstar - they make news for everything. The media just love reporting any bad stories about them but no positive ones make the news.

What makes you come to that conclusion? Think before you type Sarah
Old 9th April 2008, 04:15 PM

Quote:

There are 2 factions on this board as there was on the old one. One is pro QANTAS/Jetstar, the other is pro DJ. Three guesses which one Sarah belongs to (and always has)

I personally don't like Jetstar for a number of reasons (now I've declared my faction!!) but in this case I can't see that they've done anything wrong at all. Those that know the Maroochy airport and area will know that it's not normally a congested traffic area and therefore there is really no excuse for personal tardiness. I know a number of people that have been denied access to flights because they were late for booking in when they have all known Jetstars rules. It's REALLY simple folks...allow a decent amount of time to get to the airport.
Old 9th April 2008, 04:21 PM

Quote:

The same thing wouldn't happen at DJ Sarah, because DJ don't have ridiculous no-leeway cutoff times for their flights. Their flgihts close at 20 minutes before departure and even still, we are often accepting Last Minute Customer's.

It's a ridiculous policy, but obviously Jetstar think its fine as its something they haven't budged on since day 1.
Old 9th April 2008, 05:13 PM

And then there is another faction known as the pragmatists who fully understand that the media publish stories that will be read, raise hackles, controversy and even sometimes debated in forums.

The legitimacy of the actions of the parties involved in the story has no bearing on the decision to air the report. The primary goal is to get the greatest number of people to view the advertising. A very simple and incredibly successful concept.
Old 9th April 2008, 05:19 PM

Talking

You could use airport security footage to verify the pax story.
Old 9th April 2008, 05:28 PM

I would change the title of this thread to "Another pathetic customer, who expects the world for a $270 return ticket arrives late at the check-in and wonders why they missed their flight"

So we will assume the article is correct, she arrived somewhere between 15-35mins before the flight was meant to depart ?

The customer only has themself to blame

Simple as that

Seeing at the customer will never fly JQ again they will proabably never fly again, as its these type of people who purchase the cheapest fares possible, arrive late to the airport and then whinge to the media about it.