Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry

Old 9th April 2008, 05:34 PM
Prolific Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg McDonald View Post
There are 2 factions on this board as there was on the old one. One is pro QANTAS/Jetstar, the other is pro DJ.

Then there's those of us who really couldn't give a toss, buy whatever is the cheapest of most convenient ticket, and abide by its terms and conditions at the time of purchase.
We're the ones who turn up with ample time spare, are more interested in just getting to our destination than critiquing the aircraft/airline/service provided, and are just happy when we arrive in one piece. We aren't really interested in comparing full/partial/low service airlines because we understand the simple principle of you get what you pay for.
Old 9th April 2008, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel C View Post
Then there's those of us who really couldn't give a toss, buy whatever is the cheapest of most convenient ticket, and abide by its terms and conditions at the time of purchase.
We're the ones who turn up with ample time spare, are more interested in just getting to our destination than critiquing the aircraft/airline/service provided, and are just happy when we arrive in one piece. We aren't really interested in comparing full/partial/low service airlines because we understand the simple principle of you get what you pay for.
That is me
Old 9th April 2008, 06:36 PM

what did she expect getting into the queoe at 6:05pm? You need ample time! And what time was scheduled departure then if she was given more leeway?

I agree with Nigel here.
Old 9th April 2008, 06:40 PM

OK here is my 2 cents wort, and a solution (havent seen any of those around....)

I understand the reasons for, and agree with the principal of closing a flight 30 mins before departure. I also understand that people need to take some responsibility for their own actions, and get in early.

That said I here that there are instances where people have been in line for 'some time' and waited to be served, only to miss out because the service desk has been busy.

Here is the solution. 1 queue per flight. at 35 minutes, close the queue, not the service desk. It is up to the service desks to ensure that any pax who is in the queue prior to closure is checked in. If there are multiple desks, they should help to clear the queue for the next departing flight. In Sydney, I saw an Avalon queue with 10 ppl, and a Brisbane(?) queue with no one, yet the service desk did not take pax from that queue. I made a comment and the agent walked away.

However

If you arrive late, and you do not acknowlege calls from the check in team when your flight is called, then it is your own problem and not that of the airline.

There are times when people need to stop whinging and accept that they did the wrong thing, however the airlines should also be fair, firm but fair.
Old 9th April 2008, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel M View Post
The same thing wouldn't happen at DJ Sarah, because DJ don't have ridiculous no-leeway cutoff times for their flights. Their flgihts close at 20 minutes before departure and even still, we are often accepting Last Minute Customer's.

It's a ridiculous policy, but obviously Jetstar think its fine as its something they haven't budged on since day 1.
Hmmm... Maybe thats the reason DJ has such high operating costs....

The Late $50 passenger isn't worth waiting for in the eyes of a LCC....

And anyway DJ aren't a LCC anymore, they really don't try to be the cheapest anymore, they run a good business however with loyal customers.
Old 9th April 2008, 07:42 PM

No matter what the lady turned up far too late. If she was that keen to meet her dad after 20 years and her half sisters she should have done the sensible thing and turned up well in advance.

15 mins prior to the scheduled departure is asking for disaster.
Old 9th April 2008, 07:59 PM

Where does it say she turned up 15mins prior to departure??

In the article it says she arrived at the terminal at 1755 for an 1845 flight (50mins prior), then joined the Jetstar queue at 1810. My maths makes that 35mins prior to departure.

Floody
Old 9th April 2008, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Waters View Post

Maybe we should also have the headlines "Person from YSSY Board finds article they don't like".

As much as we don't like the media, the continual media bashing on this board seems to go on and on and on like a bad record.

Paul
Haha sounds to me to me this is a case of:

"Paul Walters, National Nine News."

You arent a journo by any chance are you Paul?
Seattle - Las Vegas
Las Vegas - New York
New York - Buffalo
Buffalo - New York
New York - Orlando
Miami - Los Angeles
Los Angeles - Sydney
Old 9th April 2008, 08:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg F View Post
Hmmm... Maybe thats the reason DJ has such high operating costs....

The Late $50 passenger isn't worth waiting for in the eyes of a LCC....

And anyway DJ aren't a LCC anymore, they really don't try to be the cheapest anymore, they run a good business however with loyal customers.
How did you come to that conclusion?
Old 9th April 2008, 08:17 PM

Might help if you get my name right first Matthew.

I'm actually a pilot, however I have noticed over the several years that I have been looking at this board, that all you all do is bag the media out for their reports.

They're not going to change their techniques, so I suggest you all just get over it.

Paul