Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry

Old 10th January 2010, 07:38 PM

Default 'Drag queen' flight uniforms fail to take off

'Drag queen' flight uniforms fail to take off
January 10, 2010 4:09PM

Quote:
AIR New Zealand's new uniforms have come under fire, with one flight attendant saying the candyfloss pink colour scheme makes them look like drag queens.

The national carrier revealed the new uniforms, being introduced next year at the same time as a new fleet of 777-300 aircraft, the Dominion Post reported.

Airline spokesman Ed Sims described the new uniforms, created by New Zealand fashion designer Trelise Cooper, as “contemporary”.

However one flight attendant said it was more like the look used on the airline's annual flight to the Sydney Mardi Gras.

“'The flight attendants look like drag queens off the Air New Zealand 'pink' flight,” the attendant said.

“I haven't worn that colour since I was five.”

The uniform would not suit a range of body shapes and would show up spilt food and drinks, she said.
Old 10th January 2010, 08:26 PM

The current uniform was only launched about 2 years ago ?? I can't understand why they are changing again already.

It looks awful !

What about Virgin Blue - 10 years in the same uniform ! Time for a freshen up !
Old 10th January 2010, 09:04 PM

I don't mind the current Virgin Blue uniform, even though it's rather simple

My favourite by far is the Qantas uniform. I hope they keep it for as long as possible
Old 11th January 2010, 04:50 PM

Priscilla Queen of The Skies !!!!
Old 12th January 2010, 05:28 PM

For those that haven't seen the new Air New Zealand uniform...... here it is. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/ar...ag-queens.html

Personally, my favourite crew uniforms are those which either reflect the carrier's national heritage or look very smart/professional. The new NZ's female flight attendants pink uniform don't fulfill either criteria. QF on the other hand, fulfill both criteria very well (which is why they are also one of my favourites).
Old 12th January 2010, 06:39 PM

Flight attendants will be given the option to wear a green coloured dress if they don't like the pink. In my opinion, the design on the dress (ignoring the colour) does reflect the local culture with the Maori koru design being the main feature. I personally really like it. I don't however like the waistcoat for the men.

The timing of the new uniform is to coincide with the delivery of the new 777-300 aircraft which will have a new interior similar to the uniforms (not in pink)
Old 12th January 2010, 10:25 PM

The green looks better. Cheers for the info about the Maori koru design..... its something I didn't know. Found a site which displays all the Air NZ unifrom, and people may be interested in this: http://tvnz.co.nz/national-news/phot...3326779/photos

Yeah I agree about the waistcoat. They probably put a bit too much effort into it.....and it it looks a bit too complicated. But credit to Air NZ in trying to think outside of the square.....

The men's ground crew uniform looks simple but effective.

Last edited by Nick G; 12th January 2010 at 10:49 PM.
Old 13th January 2010, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick G View Post
But credit to Air NZ in trying to think outside of the square......
That seems to be NZ's thing right now. They are challenging the staus quo on how things are done in a lot of ways and avoiding the me-too syndome so many airlines revert to. I guess someytimes it falls for them and sometimes it doesn't. All credit to them.

By the way. Nice title "'Drag Queen' flight iniforms fail to take off" making a reference to ANZ's now famous advert where the "uniforms" are painted on. I assume it was intentional.

Last edited by Mike W; 13th January 2010 at 06:33 AM.