Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Technical > Trip Reports

Old 31st December 2011, 02:01 AM

Default Trip Report - Concorde

As a kid I remember watching on TV as Concorde touched down in Sydney. I was fascinated with its speed, its sleek shape and the awe it cast over all whom saw her. Never ever did I think that I would ever see one. Today, I have touched it, walked around it, preflighted it, and sat in it. Here is the story.

I am in Surrey in London for a Christmas holiday with the family, flying QF9 from Melbourne to London via Singapore. My three year old has a fascination with aviation, something that I use to every advantage where I can. I jumped on a website called dayoutwiththekids.uk and found a local museum that had some aircraft, cars, buses and bikes, and thought I would take her there. Clicking on the website took me to a fascinating world of transport and history.

The Brooklands museum is a large indoor and outdoor hands on museum. When it comes to buses and aircraft, you touch it, you climb in it, you learn all about it by helpful and knowledgeable volunteers. It also was a production line for Concorde fuse components. It was a major site for the automotive industry, with a banked track and long straights for high speed testing.

The website for the museum is http://www.brooklandsmuseum.com and will give you a greater history. It has a fantastic Grand Prix, motorbike, bus and engine museum as well as the flightline.

Taking two visits to the site, the aircraft on display is very large and covers a full range of middle age commercial, private and military. The full list is here (http://www.brooklandsmuseum.com/inde...kpit-sections/) but some highlights include Vickers Viscount, Wellington, Hurricane, BAC One Eleven, Vanguard,Varsity,VC10 plus a Harrier and of course Concorde. There are other Concorde frames around, but this (I am told) is the only one globally you can touch, feel, and enter. In addition there is a fully functional static simulator which can be flown upon arrangement and cost.

G-BBDG was Concorde #3 of the UK line and used extensively as a testbed and flight training bed for some time. She was handed over to the museum some time ago, which included being cut into several sections and transported to the museum, then rebuilt.

Walking around this beauty gives you a strange sense. It is high off the ground, long, sleek but it just looks fast. From the massive reverse buckets to the long and slender main gear, and the manta ray type wing, it is truly a unique piece of aviation history.

An additional entry fee gives you a guide tour outside and onboard. The tour starts in a shuttle bus, talking about how it came to be, construction and other basics. It then takes you up an external stair to the rear starboard galley door, where the galley and rear luggage area is removed. You then go through a display with internal panels removed, various parts and pipes visible. There is a short video about the construction of Concorde, the demise and the donation of the frame to the museum, and the major works to relocate it to the museum. You then move forward into the main cabin with real seats and controls. Each seat costs the museum $3000 pound, so they have removed the ability to recline. After the video you move past the toilet and coat locker, forward to the cockpit door and the forward doors. The cockpit on this frame is nearly complete, but glassed off. The photos in the link below are from the simulator in the tour after the main aircraft walk through.

I have taken a few photos and placed them on my Fotki site
http://public.fotki.com/agb06/concorde/
The quality is average due to wrangling a 2 y/o, 3 y/o and an 8 year old, associated bags and a D90 with external flash.

If you do go to London, make sure you visit this museum.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0085.jpg (67.0 KB, 30 views)
Old 31st December 2011, 08:13 AM

Thanks Adrian. Must be one of the only Concordes that you can actually sit in. Ive seen/been in 3 - Yeovilton, Toulouse and Seattle and you can't sit in any of these.. Very interesting, and my next visit to England ill go to this museum.. Also must be one of the only ones in the old BA Livery...

Photos at: http://flickr.com/kieran380747 and https://www.facebook.com/Windsweptaviation/

Carriers flown: QF, VA, EK, NZ, BA, KA, CX, AS, BE, JQ, TR, SK, LH
Types flown: 744, 738, 737, 743, A380, A340, DH8, A320, ERJ190, 736
Old 31st December 2011, 08:29 AM

Definately worth a day out here. I believe that the Barbados frame is being prepared for tours, but no idea of details.
Old 31st December 2011, 11:17 AM

There is another Concorde at the Imperial War museum site at Duxford,near Cambridge. This also is worth a visit especially when they have their frequent air displays. Be prepared for traffic delays at the end of the show.

Forthcoming flights
To be advised.
Old 31st December 2011, 02:10 PM

There is also a Concorde at Sinsheim Auto & Technik Museum in Germany. It was Air France F-BVFB. It is mounted on the roof and you can climb inside it however the majority of the seating has been removed and what is left is enclosed in perspex, the cockpit is also sealed off with perspex. Still it is a great experience to go inside.

The best part about Sinsheim is that right next to Concorde is a TU-144 that is also open for viewing so you can compare just how similar they are.
Old 31st December 2011, 09:52 PM

I got a private tour of the interior of the Concorde at Duxford in 06 including the flight deck...might have had something to do with flashing my media credentials though...
Old 1st January 2012, 01:36 AM

Smile Great aircraft

I'm old enough to have flown trans-Atlantic on Concorde a few times in the 1980s. My initial and lasting impression was of a super fast Fokker Friendship based on seat dimensions and window size but with a Mach meter and better catering! Sounds odd I know but if you've flown on both you'll know what I mean.

Basically it was a long lunch to go from London to New York, working half a day in London then flying to New York and finishing the working day there. The return trip was much less cost effective, as you had to stay the night in a hotel instead of on the aircraft if you'd flown in a subsonic plane. OK if you lived in the UK but not as a traveller.
Old 1st January 2012, 09:44 AM

There is one (G-BOAD) at the Intrepid Museum in New York, I was there yesterday.

Again you can't go inside it, though.
Old 1st January 2012, 09:55 AM

David, Id heard that one was in pretty bad condition.. Is that correct or have they cleaned her up?

Photos at: http://flickr.com/kieran380747 and https://www.facebook.com/Windsweptaviation/

Carriers flown: QF, VA, EK, NZ, BA, KA, CX, AS, BE, JQ, TR, SK, LH
Types flown: 744, 738, 737, 743, A380, A340, DH8, A320, ERJ190, 736
Old 3rd January 2012, 01:33 AM

Went to the Le Bourget museum last week and I can agree with Chris that this is one of the best Concorde displays out there with ir France "sierra Delta" as well as the Concorde 001 testbed. Interesting to note that the airframes are diferent on both types and this is reflected by the window sizes where SD has the trademark small windows of Concorde whilst 001 has larger windows. Would love to see the ones in UK also maybe next visit. Le bourget also ha an excellent walkthrough of AF's first 747 include cutouts of various compartments a real eye-opener. The museum also has numerous aircraft outside where you can walk around and have a look including the mighty Caravelle and Mercure. It also has a great early days of flying section. I really recommend if in Paris and have enough time go to this museum.