Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry

Old 12th October 2017, 12:53 AM

Default Emirates cease Australia-Auckland flights from March 2018.

Morning all,

Emirates announced yesterday that they would axe Melbourne and Brisbane to Auckland A380 flights from March 2018. Emirates will still fly Sydney-Christchurch.
https://www.ausbt.com.au/emirates-ax...tas-takes-over

Qantas introduce and reshuffle its flights to Auckland from these destinations using a mixture of A330’s and B737’s.
https://www.ausbt.com.au/here-is-qan...le-to-auckland

My Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/53284949@N05/
Old 12th October 2017, 08:59 PM

That's a shame. It was nice catching the very comfortable A380 even if only a short flight. Now most flights will be in Qantas matchboxes!!
Old 14th October 2017, 12:01 PM

Agree. At least out of Sydney I have can use the AirNZ widebodies that have extra legroom and soft seats compared to the QF pencil cases!
Old 14th October 2017, 07:12 PM
Prolific Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.Greaves View Post
Agree. At least out of Sydney I have can use the AirNZ widebodies that have extra legroom and soft seats compared to the QF pencil cases!
You do realise QF have two A330 flights to Akl, same as NZ when it comes to wide Bodies?

Old 15th October 2017, 08:30 AM

Yes. However I find the seating in Y on the AirNZ widebodies is much more comfortable with a bit more legroom and "cushier' than the QF A330, probably because the 787 are also used on the long haul routes. Even the AirNZ A320s are a bit more comfortable. Big bonus for QF on the route is the quality of meal, which I find appalling on AirNZ, even after you paid extra for it. So I don't anymore! Bottom line for me is that EK offered a better level of service and comfort and I often scored an upgrade to Business.
I felt EK offered some good competition on the routes, however with the direct Middle East services it probably doesn't make commercial sense. Seemed like they had good load factors on my flts but I don't know how profitable, plus a later arrival into Sydney from DXB could have a knock on effect for the return.
EK like QF interlines with Jetstar over here and that is bad news for the business traveller, well any traveller really! I moved to purchasing separate EK and AirNZ tickets for int and dom sectors and it worked out about the same$. I thought it was worth hauling your bags between terminals on the way out.
So now I go AirNZ all the way. Cheaper because I don't pay for lousy food service, more comfortable, bags transfer on way out of AKL and more reliable connections.
Old 15th October 2017, 09:15 AM

Default A shame forsure

Indeed, I used to fly business on the EK 380s every now and then when holidaying across the ditch. Surprisingly, not too pricey and the product was super.
I have strong doubts that QF will be able to match it on their 330s let alone their 737s!
Old 16th October 2017, 06:45 AM
Prolific Member

Apart from the bar there wasn’t much difference between the A380 option and QF options, in fact some would argue the soft product is better while the A330 J cabin is great.
Old 16th October 2017, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkR View Post
Apart from the bar there wasn’t much difference between the A380 option and QF options, in fact some would argue the soft product is better while the A330 J cabin is great.
Seating is massively better (more comfortable) on Emirates as are the staff. Qantas aren't a scratch on them.
Old 16th October 2017, 04:01 PM
Prolific Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg McDonald View Post
Seating is massively better (more comfortable) on Emirates as are the staff. Qantas aren't a scratch on them.
I like the QF J and have had excellent staff as well, I travel once a month on the routes. Anyway since it will be soon be gone for all bar Christchurch options its all rather academic.
Old 17th October 2017, 06:32 AM

What will be interesting to see is what happens to the prices once EK goes.