Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry

Old 20th October 2020, 08:13 AM

Default Qantas international flights resume July 2021?

Qantas has advised that they hope to resume international flights in July of 2021, but at present they are offering no international journeys.

They also state that a firm decision will not be made until then (July '21), at which point their no-flights policy may be extended even further.

At some point after all the COVID changes and lockdowns, I think we'll all be needing a vacation. (Tahiti is nice.)

What are your feelings on Qantas resuming its international flights? Does July '21 sound about right to you?
Old 20th October 2020, 09:14 AM

Very selfishly, I’d be happy for tomorrow... ��
Old 20th October 2020, 11:22 AM

Just my view - Covid is not forever. The first thing I'll be doing is 'travelling' along with everyone else I know.

So once it is safe to travel, what are the chances of a massive influx of passengers and a major shortage of aircraft (scrapped, returned etc).

Maybe that will pave the way for new start up carriers.

Don't shoot me down - I'm just looking long term into a world that loves to travel.
Old 21st October 2020, 01:14 PM

I would have expected NZ to start up before July next year - or is that not considered international?
Old 21st October 2020, 02:00 PM

Qantas already had a flight flying Kiwis from NZ to Australia, which I'd say is still happening. As the flights from NZ to Sydney (not too sure if there is any NZ direct to Darwin) are flown by Air NZ, Qantas and Jetstar.

Beyond the bubble, I don't think there will be a return to International travel until late 2021 or early 2022. Not with the high levels of infection still happening in Asia, Europe, South America and the US.

Flightradar24 feeder (F-YSWG1 & T-YSWG2)
FlightAware feeder (YSWG/6482)
Old 21st October 2020, 04:13 PM
Prolific Member

July 2021 is based on how long it is expected to have a COVID vaccine tested and disseminated to the population and the borders can be reopened.

There maybe a requirement that all international inbound visitors be vaccinated (x) number of weeks before their inbound flight.

No vaccine no flight.

If a vaccine is found, tested and disseminated earlier then I expect the borders to be opened earlier.

Likewise, if no vaccine is found then all bets are off
Old 22nd October 2020, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Hyde View Post
No vaccine no flight.
The fastest vaccine developed to date has been for mumps, and that took four years.

The current influenza vaccine has been 45% effective overall against 2019-2020 seasonal influenza A and B viruses.

Good luck with that.
Old 22nd October 2020, 08:14 AM

... so, July next year is a little optimistic then?
Old 22nd October 2020, 08:23 AM
Prolific Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie J View Post
... so, July next year is a little optimistic then?
The July date was created in July this year based on best guess.

It is all contingent on a vaccine and/or workable solution (face masks, quarantine, ...).

I wouldn't bet (or book a flight) assuming that it will be all sorted by July 2021.
Old 23rd October 2020, 12:23 PM
Prolific Member

Not good news Robbie

Quote:
Qantas to chase new Asian routes, with flights to UK and United States unlikely for another year

Australians are unlikely to fly to the United States or UK on Qantas for another year, with its chief executive outlining that this could "potentially" happen "by the end of 2021".

"For some of our big destination like the United States and the UK, it's going to need a vaccine given the high prevalence of the virus in both of those locations," Qantas Group boss Alan Joyce said at the company's AGM in Sydney on Friday.

"But we are getting more and more confident about the opportunities and the potential for a vaccine in helping getting those operations up by potentially by the end of 2021."

He said it was "going to take some time to recover international travel back".

Mr Joyce had previously said he did not expect that international flights, except for New Zealand, would resume before July 2021.

It was also revealed that the company, which owns both Qantas and Jetstar, is expecting a further $100m in losses for the first quarter of this financial year, as border restrictions drag on due to COVID-19.

"The unexpected closure of several domestic borders in July meant our recovery has been delayed," Mr Joyce said.

"We had expected group domestic to be operating at about 60 per cent of pre-COVID levels by now. Instead, the continued border closures mean capacity is now below 30 per cent.

"This delay resulted in a $100 million negative impact on earnings for the first quarter of FY21, and will have an impact on Q2 as well."

The flying kangaroo recorded a $2 billion loss for 2019-20, with the coronavirus pandemic slashing its full-year revenue by 21 per cent.

The company's chairman Richard Goyder used the AGM to criticise ongoing domestic border closures.

"Even as numbers in Victoria come under control and New South Wales shows how small clusters can be managed, there is some frustrating inertia around the Queensland and Western Australian borders," he said.

"This inertia that doesn't seem to be based on the actual health risk.

"And that seems to ignore the broader economic and social risk involved with staying shut — especially as Federal income support winds down."

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-10-...s-agm/12806048