Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Technical > Trip Reports

Old 25th March 2011, 06:31 PM

Post Trip report: Virgin Blue syd-mel/mel-syd

5:30am, Tuesday the 22nd of March saw me, red-eyed and yawning outside my house awaiting a taxi to Sydney Airport for my short holiday down to Melbourne. Like always, I would be making this trip on Virgin Blue, for many reasons I always fly with them.

But anyway, back to Tuesday morning, taxi came around with any trouble and we were off to the airport at about 5:40ish. Not a long drive to the airport as I only live about 3km away in Eastlakes, so before I knew it we were pulling up outside the terminal. Today I would be traveling with my mum only, dad was to stay home and look after our dogs!

I had already checked-in the night before but I had accidently closed the browser before printing it so all we had do was to go to the bag drop counter. Five minutes later we were in the food court watching the early morning movements of Sydney airport. We bought some breakfast from Maccas (with a much needed caffeine boost) and before heading off to the gate, I purchased a copy of “Australian Aviation” to read on the flight as I knew I was about to board an aircraft with no Live’2’air.

DJ814

Date: 22nd March 2011.
Aircraft: Boeing 737-8FE
Aircraft Name: Ruby Blue
Seat: 21F

We boarded the aircraft about 5-10 minutes late but it didn’t really matter. Once everyone had boarded the aircraft, the captain announced that Sydney’s ATC had advised him of heavy fog in the Melbourne Area, so we would have to wait a further 10 minutes at the gate. He turned the seatbelt sign off and told us we were free to use mobile phones. I took this chance to check my facebook and take a few quick snaps before pushback!

A few minutes later we had pushed-back and the crew were performing the usual safety demonstration. As we began our taxi to 34R, we took an unusual left turn out of the tarmac and headed for runway 25. The captain lined us up on 25 and rolled forward abit and stopped. He advised us once again that we were to hold here for a further 10 to 20 minutes. Slowly the minutes crept by and finally we turned into taxiway Charlie and were on our way again. Not long later, we were rolling down runway 34R.

Just after rotating into some low level clouds.

Jetphotos.net
Airliners.net
Old 25th March 2011, 06:33 PM

Post trip report cont.

Performing the MARUB departure.

As we began to make our way down south again, I saw a lot of aircraft flying downwind for runway 34R, just a few thousand feet below us and also a V Australia 777 performing an over-flying left circuit for runway 34L.

That little red dot is a DJ 737 going downwind for 34R.

We were cruising way above the clouds heading south west and off to Melbourne. The cabin crew came around with the usually food trolley but I didn’t purchase anything as I was too busy reading my magazine as seen in the picture below. Leg room was pretty good, with Jetstar I couldn’t even sit straight.

As we approached Melbourne we began to circle. The captain advised us that we would be just doing one big circle around then starting our descent.

circling past the moon.

Landing video can be found here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCw2GNNhF4Q

After the flight I went into the cockpit, had a little chat with the captain but didn’t take any photos. We discussed the upcoming aircraft for DJ such as VH-YFC.

As soon as we collected our bags, we jumped in a taxi and were on our way to Sunbury Road, to do a little spotting. Just a few shots are seen below…

Note one of the taxi lights is out. VH-VGQ

B-6500

VH-TQL

Jetphotos.net
Airliners.net
Old 25th March 2011, 06:36 PM

Post continued.

The purpose of going to Melbourne was to see the penguin parade and to visit the Twelve Apostles. A few shots of views along the Victorian south coast are seen below. When we finally got to the apostles, I took a helicopter ride on VH-ZVX for a quick trip around. Some pics can been seen below.

The Twelve Apostles.

London Bridge.

Zulu victor x-ray is the aircraft I went on.

Overview of the heliport.

DJ861
Date: 24th March 2011.
Aircraft: Boeing 737-82R
Aircraft Name: Alluring Alice
Seat: 26A

So on Thursday we were to head back to Sydney on DJ881, leaving the whole day for me to go spotting! But because, Melbourne being Melbourne, it rained the whole day so no chances for me to spot. We arrived at the airport several hours early in the hope that the rain would pass so I could go spotting, but when this seemed increasingly unlikely we opted to check-in very early. The Virgin Blue check-in girl offered us an earlier flight at first, but I declined and asked if I could come back later. I literally sprinted around the airport looking for internet, when I found some I looked everywhere for signs that a special scheme aircraft would op a MEL-SYD flight, even posting a thread on this forum itself but when I was 100% sure that nothing was coming our way, I choose DJ861 (which ended up being VH-VOV). As we waited we got some lunch and I used my ipod touch to check to see what gate we would use, I found out that our flight was delayed for 30 minutes. We went to our gate and saw that our inbound flight from Maroochydore was delayed at least 20 minutes (ended up being 40). When she finally arrived we hurried to board the plane and within 20 minutes of her arrival, “Alluring Alice” was ready for the flight up to SYD.

Our plane had to wait about 15 minutes to push-back, waiting for VH-VUX and VH-VBC to pushback behind us, and finally we were on our way to runway 16. As we got there, not 9, not 10, not 11 but 12 aircraft were waiting for us to depart! The captain announced that the wait for our turn to depart would be 25-28 minutes (stupid 27/09 runway works!).

So half an hour later we were on our way up to SYD, bumpily climbing through the overcast Melbourne weather and a short time later, cruising. In my seat I was facing the sun so photo opportunities were limited however I got a few.

Starting our descent.

I settled with watching my free Live’2’air (I watched the Cricket world cup quarter finals) and before I knew it we were descending into the Sydney area, tracking direct to a runway 34L base. The sun was just setting as we were on a very windy final approach so any photos I got were blurry.

Sunset on finals.

Strong crosswinds.

We took the rapid exit and wouldn’t you know it, VH-OEJ was parked at a bay, tucked away by another aircraft so no photo there  As we taxied to gate 39, I snapped a couple of pics, including VH-VUY.

On the way past the Jetstar terminal.

VH-VUY

Once outside the aircraft I took a couple of pictures of planes at several gates including VH-ZPQ .

VH-ZPQ

DJ737-700 with a certain person chilling on the back!

After these, I collected my bag, and jumped in a taxi home, concluding my trip down to Melbourne

Thanks for reading if you made it this far and any feedback would be great! this was my first trip report so be kind!

Jetphotos.net
Airliners.net
Old 25th March 2011, 07:22 PM

Awesome trip report Andrew. Look forward to reading more. The last photo is probably my favourite
Old 25th March 2011, 08:50 PM

Great report, and its good to see that there is another member BUSTED in a photo!!

Really love the shades of blue when 'Circling the moon' photo...

My Flight Diary

My Photos Flickr Images
Old 25th March 2011, 09:10 PM

thanks bernie!! if you wanna see Jayden working some more, check his facebook photos!!

Jetphotos.net
Airliners.net
Old 25th March 2011, 09:40 PM

Great trip report Andrew!

JetPhotos.net (1381 Photos)
Old 27th March 2011, 09:43 AM

Nice one! Funny beacuse i flew on VH-VUV and that same day and would you believe in 21F also!
Old 27th March 2011, 09:49 AM

Nice report. It's a shame Virgin no longer operate any of their 737 series from my local airport to Syd, I used to like flying on them.
Old 27th March 2011, 10:46 AM

wow nathan that's really weird! i shouldve left my magazine in the seat pocket for you you were probably on her when she operated down to LST later in the evening right?

thats a shame jake, but if where you live get E90s/E70s then its still good. The embraer is a very good aircraft in my opinion!

Jetphotos.net
Airliners.net