Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Spotting and Movements > Radar Spotting

View Poll Results: I am interested and would like to attend and participate in the Open ADS-B Workshop:
I am an ADS-B/ACARS/Mode-S/HFDL sharer and I feed a Public Radar Network 10 62.50%
I am interested in starting my own Radar setup at home and potentially become a Radar Network sharer 3 18.75%
I am just interested in all things Radar Spotting and would like to come to learn more 4 25.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 16th November 2012, 11:11 AM
YSSY Forum Administrator

Brad you're more than welcome, was waiting to hear from you. Keep us posted.

Cheers.
Old 16th November 2012, 10:44 PM

will do mate, work is crazy right now! no time for anything! but I will try to get there!
Old 18th November 2012, 01:48 PM

I may have missed it earlier, but are there any plans to record the presentations or provide any material used on-line for those of us that are unable to attend?

I'm still getting my setup configured here in Alice Springs and although I think I'm close, some things are not quite coming together (such as auto updates of database tables, and the correct combination of apps to achieve this properly). If I was still living in Sydney I would definitely attend.....

Cheers,
Geoff
Old 20th November 2012, 10:27 PM

sorry i cant make it now too busy.
KG-HFDL
PC-HFDL 2.0.42
Dell Laptop with 3 hrs battery
GNS 5890
MicroADSB
QTH-Booval QLD Australia
Old 25th November 2012, 05:47 PM
Prolific Member

Location: Sydney's Eastern Suburbs - View From Bondi To Jibbon Point And Bravo 10 South

Thanks to all who attended today, it was great to be able to put names to faces, the content presented was useful and informative (thanks to Bob from Canberra, Phil and Scott from Tamworth, and Mike via Skype from Hawaii, the location was perfect (Panorama From The Balcony), and thank you Kurt for another excellent job with the organisation. Definitely worth considering another meeting at some stage.

Click on the Panorama image to expand to full size.
Old 26th November 2012, 11:47 AM

Just want to add my thanks to Kurt for organising yesterday's event. Great to catch up with the old hands and meet the new faces.

Thanks Bob for your presentation, it filled in a lot of gaps about ADS-B and the future of this system in Australia. Looks very interesting and exciting as more and more a/c will be required to upgrade in the coming years.

Thanks also to Phil and Scott for your display, wishing you every success with your system development.

Mike's talk on static electricity had us thinking seriously of our home setup and how to protect our gear.

Overall a very informative day.

Noel White
Old 27th November 2012, 12:33 AM
YSSY Forum Administrator

Thanks Noel and Grahame.

Just to echo your thoughts, I'd also like to thank Bob Peake, Phil Henry, Scott Pepper and Mike Scott for the fantastic presentations they prepared for the day. It really gave the day some solid structure and I'm sure we all came away much more educated about the technology and our hobby in general. I'm really grateful for their attendance also, driving from as far as Canberra and Tamworth to attend. We were also privileged to have Mike Scott dial in from Honolulu via skype to deliver his presentation. Thank you all again!

It was a picture perfect day, albeit slightly hot outside, but there was certainly great aircraft viewing and radar tracking from the top deck of the Novotel Hotel. It was lovely to meet new faces and to learn a little bit more about everyone's interests. We spent all of about 9-10 hours together sharing knowledge, thoughts and experiences with each other whilst certainly setting the foundation for future meet-ups to occur.

Thanks also to all those who attended the workshop, as without you the day wouldn't have been as successful! For those who were unfortunately unable to come at last minute, we certainly look forward to seeing you at the next one.

Here's some photos from the day.

Cheers,
amsy

Old 27th November 2012, 06:08 AM

Hi Kurt

Thanks again for organising a great day. It was wonderful to meet everyone and thanks to Bob, Scott and Phil for their presentations - sorry to miss Mike's but maybe I can catch that one later.

Thanks also for the photos - still sorting through all of mine, but there are a couple in the JP queue, (waiting for the heat haze rejection notice )

Cheers
Mark
Old 27th November 2012, 06:20 AM

some nice pics guys!

Man a shame i couldnt make it..simply too much on!
Id love to see the powerpoint slides and what ever else was shown!
Old 27th November 2012, 08:00 AM

We were worried that the people in the adjacent unit might have called ASIO when they spotted all the antennas out on the balcony. Thankfully manage to get through the day without a knock on the door from the AFP.

Noel White