Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Spotting and Movements > Spotting and Movements

Old 4th June 2014, 04:03 PM
Prolific Member

Default Foreshore Drive spotting location

Hey all,

How do you, as spotters, describe this location to new spotters in terms of how to get there (legally - i.e. no dangerous and illegal U-Turns on Foreshore Drive), what you can see, when it's best to be there, what camera gear is suffice etc?

Thanks for any responses.
Old 4th June 2014, 08:05 PM
Prolific Member

Location: Sydney's Eastern Suburbs - View From Bondi To Jibbon Point And Bravo 10 South

Back in March this year I visited Foreshore Road and did a quick test shoot from the jetty indicated on the map
below. It was a beautiful day, although a little hot, so the heat haze was a bit of an issue. Typical aircraft seen
on Runway 34R from this location are B737, B767, A320, E190, ATR and Saab 340 etc, and just occasionally a
larger aircraft.

Directions: When you turn off General Holmes Drive into Foreshore Road (Red Arrow), you will need to continue
through to the boat launching ramp (Green Arrow), turn into the car park, then exit back onto Foreshore Road
and head back towards General Holmes Drive. About 500m down the road you will see sign posts into another car
park (Yellow Arrow), and this is where the jetty is located. From the car park it is only a short walk out to the end
of the jetty.

Camera Setup: I have indicated the camera settings on the images below, however 200-300mm is probably ideal.
From the end of the jetty it is around 340m to the centreline of Runway 34R. Shooting in the morning is best.

Other: This is an exposed location weather wise, so you will need to Slip, Slop, Slap. Also take something to eat
and drink, as there are no food outlets on site.

155mm F/10 1/320sec

280mm F/13 1/320sec

150mm F/11 1/320sec

Last edited by Grahame Hutchison; 4th June 2014 at 08:26 PM.
Old 4th June 2014, 08:23 PM

Yeah I do the same as Grahame, turn around at the boat ramp.

I know the location as 'The Mill Pond'. Thats what the sign says at the turn.

You see all sorts of Nuffies over there.

Nige_MillPond.jpg

Whens the BBQ in Brisvegas Muzzdog??

Soon..
No where. Where should I go?

Last edited by Stephen Brown; 4th June 2014 at 08:33 PM.
Old 4th June 2014, 08:27 PM
Prolific Member

Perfect, thanks Grahame. It's the one location that's really not covered on your www.16right.com website.
Old 4th June 2014, 08:30 PM
Prolific Member

Location: Sydney's Eastern Suburbs - View From Bondi To Jibbon Point And Bravo 10 South

Nigel, I have Foreshore on the web site, however the images and information are from 2008 - how time flies. I was only thinking recently that I should do a drive around the locations again and do an update. Quite a bit has changed since then on Foreshore Road in particular, and some of the other sites as well.
Old 4th June 2014, 08:35 PM
Prolific Member

Yes indeed....the whole airport has changed significantly in the last 6 years! There was no Ikea car park, T2 has changed significantly and continues to do so right up to this day, new southern stand-off bays are in operation, my old office is gone, stop bars, RGL's, Cat II ILS, HIAL's 34L, running rabbit strobes, Brindabella, Vincent and Aeropelican gone from the local landscape. And that's just to name a few things! Oh, and the SACL Airfield Operations vehicles are currently undergoing a livery change from the current black/yellow chequered pattern.

And although I've been around the airport for some time, I really am like a fish out of water when it comes to the spotting locations!