Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Spotting and Movements > Spotting and Movements
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 19th February 2014, 06:08 PM

Well said Justin - even the airside ones are being restricted, with more objects and building works blocking the views even more and more.
Old 19th February 2014, 08:06 PM

Sorry guys, but to me it's all dribble.
Whilst the deck might need some repairs to render it safe, I accept and have no issue with a closure, whilst this occurs.
However, to close it permanently and then tell us all that the Rydges is available, when it clearly is not without booking a room, is nothing short of disgraceful. I, for one didn't come down in today's rain and am offended that they are taking me for a fool.

Whilst their competitions are great, you have to enter, and win. It is for a very small minority, without catering for anyone else.
This so called solution with a runway view, that they are supposedly working on, I doubt we will ever see. We have enough problems with the supposed spotting locations that the airport promotes as such, now. Parking problems, restricted views, security and so the list goes on.

I'm sorry to sound negative, but for me, this is just about the final straw and I am seriously thinking about whether or not, a trip out to the field is even worth it any more

Jim
Old 19th February 2014, 09:02 PM

It's all spin.

The observation deck is needed for income generating purposes. They need to maintain something that does not generate an income.

They are only half serious at being genuinely supportive of an aviation community. Unless it makes huge margin, they are not interested. Just look at the parking prices.

The hotel is nice, but it's hardly within reach of a spotter or the punter who wants to show the kids the planes before nana takes off. The other areas are dumps.

The "unique experience" will have a cost, make no mistake.

Bring on Badgerys creek and don't let Max and Macquarie Airports anywhere near it.
Old 19th February 2014, 10:03 PM

Just go to the Rydges Plaza, tell them Sydney airports sent you, and to send the bill to them...
Old 20th February 2014, 07:20 AM

My parents didn't take me on a commercial flight until around 1975, but we'd fairly regularly go onto the T1 observation deck. I have strong memories of just how loud planes were in those days. Both my kids have been to the now closed observation deck as well.

I can see the difficulties with maintaining cleanliness and security (there clearly wasn't the bar and cafe demand), but well respected airports encourage aviation tourism. Surely a small investment and active promotion can generate income?
Old 20th February 2014, 08:34 AM
Administrator

Some airports even charge a nominal fee for entry to the observation deck.
ABQ ABX ACV ADD ADL AKL ALB AMA AMS ANC ARN ATH ATL AUA AUH AUS AVL AVV AZA BCN BDL BFL BGO BGR BHD BHM BHQ BIL BIS BKI BKK BLD BLI BLV BNA BNE BOG BOI BOJ BOS BSB BTR BUF BUD BUR BWI BZE BZN CAI CBR CGK CHC CHS CLE CLT CMH CNS CNX COS CPH CPT CTG CTS CUE CUN CUZ CVG CXF CZM DAL DBO DCA DEN DFW DLH DOH DRW DSM DTW DUD DUR DXB ECP ELP EUG EWR EYW EZE FAI FAR FAT FCA FCO FLG FLL FNL FNT FRA FRS FSD FU'K FWA GCN GDL GDN GEG GGW GIG GJT GOT GRI GRR GRU GSP GTF GUA GVA GYE HAM HAN HBA HBE HEL HHH HKD HKG HLZ HND HNL HOU HRL HSV HVB IAD IAH ICN ICT IDA IND INV ISP IST ITM ITO JAB JAX JFK JNB JNU JOG JTR KEF KGC KIX KMI KMJ KMQ KOA KRK KTN KUL LAS LAX LBB LBE LEJ LFT LGA LGB LHR LIH LIM LIN LRD LST MAD MAF MAO MCI MCO MCT MCY MDE MDT MDW MEL MEM MEX MFE MFR MHU MIA MID MKE MNL MOB MOT MQL MRY MSN MSP MSY MTJ MTY MUC MVD MXP MZT NAN NAS NRT NTL OAG OAK OGG OKA OKC OMA OME ONT OOL ORD OSL OTZ OUI PAE PBG PDX PEK PER PHL PHX PIA PIT PLO PLZ PNH PSC PSG PSP PTY PVD PVG PVR PVU RAP RDD RDM RDU REC REP RIC RIX RNO ROC RSW SAL SAN SAT SAV SBA SBD SBN SBP SCK SCL SDF SDU SEA SFO SGF SGN SGU SHA SHV SIN SIT SJC SJD SJO SJU SLC SMF SMX SNA SOF SSA STL STS SUN SYD SYO SYR TIJ TLL TMW TPA TPE TSV TUL TUS TWF TYS VAR VIE VNO VPS WAW WDH WGA WLG WRG WVB XIY XNA YEG YHM YHZ YKM YOW YQB YQG YQM YTZ YUL YUM YVR YWG YXE YYC YYJ YYT YYZ ZRH

Next Trips:
29APR SYD-LAX-LAS AA
02-05MAY LAS-ATL-LIT-LAS WN
11-12MAY LAS-DEN/CYS-DEN-LAS UA
18-19MAY LAS-DFW-BRO/HOU-LAS AA/WN
25-27MAY LAS-GEG/MSO-LAS WN/G4
31MAY-03JUN LAS-JFK-LAS DL/B6
08-09JUN LAS-PDX-LAS AS
21-24JUN LAS-GJT-LAS G4
04-08JUL LAS-SEA-ANC-ADQ-ANC-SEA-LAS AS
17-18AUG LAS-SEA-KTN-SEA-LAS AS
29AUG-03SEP LAS-MSP-TVC-DFW-LAS SY/AA
28-29SEP LAS-DEN-LAS UA
08-11NOV LAS-EWR/BTV-ORD-LAS UA
Old 21st February 2014, 12:46 PM

Re open the radar field I say.
Old 21st February 2014, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin L View Post
Some airports even charge a nominal fee for entry to the observation deck.
Deck at Frankfurt had a fee of 5 euros, which I thought was acceptable.

Viewing park at Manchester was something like 2-3 pound to get in.

My Stuff on the web
http://www.ryanhothersall.net/
Old 21st February 2014, 07:24 PM

Agree with Matthew Chisholm,Jim M,Scott 's comments. I am sure charging a 'nominal' and I mean nominal not like the car park, fee to visit the viewing deck. This would also keep the yahoo's off the area also. Serious aviation enthusiasts I am sure would pay a fee for the use of the area. The fee charge could be used for maintenance and cleaning of the deck. It is not only 'local' aviation enthusiasts that use the deck, but interstate and INTERNATIONAL enthusiasts look forward to using when is Sydney. Perhaps SACL should look at the Perth area - and find a area like that and make it into viewing area. Also the
Sheps Mound area - if they got rid of the multitude of lamp poles around the fence line would make it much better for photographers getting decent images without all the lamp poles in front of them. [I think the amount of lamp poles is a bit of an overkill by SACL].
Old 23rd February 2014, 04:06 AM

Maybe they are trying to deter the spotters from there as well.