Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Spotting and Movements > Spotting and Movements
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11th March 2014, 01:31 PM

Default Whatever happened to the official spotters ID card?

I never thought much of the idea myself, but whatever became of plans to introduce official spotter ID cards at YSSY?

The problems with the idea were multiple. What happens to random or occasional spotters without the ID? There's heaps of those people, including me.

Why pay for an ID when everything is currently free?

How often do you expect to under-go an ID or security check?

Who apart from people on this forum even knew about the card's existence?

I'd say normal security and ID procedures (which are already in place) would've been sufficient.
Old 11th March 2014, 02:28 PM
YSSY Forum Administrator

Hi Robbie,

There have in the past been some good discussions between this forum and the AFP about an Airport Watch program and how other airports around the world have successfully introduced such programs into their communities, but unfortunately this program from a Plane Spotters perspective or benefit has never ever successfully been executed at YSSY.

At that time there was only ever loose discussion about what might comprise an Airport Watch program as such at YSSY, and that a possible ID-like card may be included in some capacity, but it was never ever a confirmed deal.

You can read more on the initial Airport Watch program here:
http://yssyforum.net/board/showthread.php?t=4055

But even before the above thread was initiated by Scott there were more ongoing discussions between myself and AFP. These have been going on for over 9 years and unfortunately have always been repetitive and non-fruitful, mainly due to the fact that the people in the roles required to introduce such awareness programs and interact with the community were always in short-term temporary roles, and so were never in their roles long enough to get anything off the ground.

However, back in July 2012, Airport Watch was officially launched at YSSY, but unfortunately the extent of that program has not yet been extended or exposed to Plane Spotters as such. I attended the launch and from memory, at the time it was anticipated that there would be a phased approach with the launch of the program. The first phase was for the major companies working at Sydney Airport, where there would be briefings to the company managers and supervisors before speaking to the majority of the workforce. Phase two or three included loose ideas to include "Aviation Enthusiasts" in future planning, however unfortunately nothing more has come from the following two Media Releases:

http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/transport/security/aviation/watch/index.aspx

http://www.afp.gov.au/media-centre/news/afp/2012/july/see-it-hear-it-report-it-airport-watch-new-program-launched.aspx

Even more so disheartening is the fact that recent contact in 2013 with the Team Leader for Crime Prevention and Liaison for Aviation at AFP has fallen on deaf ears. This was even after the actual Airport Watch Program launch in Sydney. I have made numerous attempts to organise a round-table to discuss the maturity of the Airport Watch program and to promote our existence and inclusion but I can't seem to gain any interest or reply.

So the saga continues.

The only thing I can encourage at this stage is the ongoing collaboration between SACL and Aviation Enthusiasts in Sydney, as this seems to be the most current and fruitful relationship we've yet to experience, at least in the 10-15 years or so that I've tried to play an active role on behalf of the Plane Spotting community through this forum and at the Airport.

The benefits of this particular relationship will continue to be shared amongst the members of this forum and as things develop you will read about them in the various forums.

You can read more about those developments and the relationship with SACL here:
http://yssyforum.net/board/showthread.php?t=9837

Rest assured, I will continue to reach out to find more information on the Airport Watch program and whether or not future phases will be rolled out and if they will include Aviation Enthusiasts, but in specific reference to ID-like cards, it can safely be assumed that these will not be considered in the near future. If and when I have more information I will share it with the community.

Cheers
Kurt.