Sydney Airport Message Board

Sydney Airport Message Board (http://www.yssyforum.net/board/index.php)
-   Australia and New Zealand Industry (http://www.yssyforum.net/board/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   United Airlines to replace B747-400's with B777-200's to Australia from 1/4/14 (http://www.yssyforum.net/board/showthread.php?t=9415)

Ash W 19th August 2013 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe Frampton (Post 84406)
And I was just looking at United's new 8 across sardine business configuration on their refitted 777's... 8 across - seriously? WTF?

Jamming 8 across in business class with people facing each other just isn't the thing... I hope this doesn't start some stupid trend among airlines, I mean they can shove more seats in economy, but 8 across in business? They just have zero respect for their business class pax doing this.

How is the new business class different to what is on the 747 today in particular in relation to facing each other? I mean to say on the 747 the seats face each other, but of course have the barrier in the middle where the TV's are located so it's not like you are looking at them or sharing space. Flew them last year LAX-SYD and had no issue in this regards.

Michael Cleary 20th August 2013 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kelvin R (Post 84408)
BA have 8 across in business and this works OK.

Really though you are flying UA because it is cheap, not because it has the best trans-pac business. If you are wanting cheap then often DL offer a better fare, product, and Velocity points and status credits. If you are looking for best product this would be QF or VA depending on personal preference.

The BA 8 across - at least as I have seen in their 744,s is offset, and one facing forward, one facing back.

UA on the other hand are simply 2-4-2. Shoulder room on par with PE in Qantas.

Kelvin R 21st August 2013 07:05 PM

I can very easily sleep on my side on the UA seats, so haven't found a shoulder room issue. The footwell is a little tight but that's about it. On par with BA in terms of space and better that QF as you don't have the seat shell around you.

Trevor O 21st August 2013 10:37 PM

:p Better than Qantas! Hysterical!!!

Ash W 22nd August 2013 07:10 AM

The discussion is about the seat not the package. Package wise Qantas wins hands down, seat wise I agree with both the comments above.

The UA width is on par with Qantas PE (which is pretty generous and a great product) and that the space on the UA seat feels better as there is no shell enclosing you which can make the Qantas seat claustrophobic.

Kieran Wells 20th February 2014 11:25 AM

Sorry to bring this back up.
United have now announced they will be de-linking SYD-MEL and will do LAX-MEL directly with new B789's effective 26/Oct. B772 service to sydney from SFO/LAX will remain.

http://airchive.com/blog/2014/02/19/...-announcement/

Ryan K 20th February 2014 11:55 AM

Don't be sorry, this is pretty big news. So, there will now be three carriers operating MEL-LAX non-stop. Will the A380 be too big for QF to operate with this extra competition? Perhaps switch it back to a 744ER and re-direct the A380 MEL-SIN-LHR... Although, I'm not sure if there are the spare aircraft to do this and if the Emirates deal allows Europe traffic through Asia.

Stuart Trevena 20th February 2014 11:59 AM

Hi All,

So why don't United still ops the SFO flight down to Mel?

This would give the US Passengers a chance to visit Melb, but also give us Melbourne passengers, a chance to fly to SFO.

We will now have to fly domestic in to Sydney before transferring and going through Customs.

Stuart

Justin L 20th February 2014 03:07 PM

Or MEL passengers could fly to LAX and transfer to a domestic UA connection to SFO from there, or vice versa.

Stephen Brown 20th February 2014 07:18 PM

Though LAX is an absolute ****hole to get through. Best to go into the US some other way.