Sydney Airport Message Board

Sydney Airport Message Board (http://www.yssyforum.net/board/index.php)
-   Flying and Technical Discussion (http://www.yssyforum.net/board/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   The "What Camera Should Darren Butterworth Get?" thread! (http://www.yssyforum.net/board/showthread.php?t=2552)

Nigel C 21st February 2009 05:52 PM

The "What Camera Should Darren Butterworth Get?" thread!

Ok, I'll start...

Canon!

Grahame Hutchison 21st February 2009 06:27 PM

From a lifetime Nikon man, definitely Nikon. Never had a problem and the D300 is a gem to use.

Raymond Rowe 21st February 2009 06:32 PM

Canon all the way.

Sarah C 21st February 2009 06:36 PM

I say Nikon. 2 all.......:p

Andrew P 21st February 2009 06:55 PM

what about Sony?

Nigel C 21st February 2009 07:08 PM

Who?:p

As per the JP.Net thread, he's choosing between Canon and Nikon, hence only 2 options were given here for the poll.

Ian Knight 21st February 2009 07:23 PM

You Can on a Canon!

Nikon - Nikoff!

Grant Smith 21st February 2009 08:03 PM

Bollocks.. The Pentanonikonanmaxipad is the way to go!

Craig Murray 21st February 2009 08:32 PM

I'd also suggest the Canon.

Realistic Colours, Realistic Prices and Realistic Pictures!

To be a Nikon user you must also be a Photoshop professional!

Save time, save heartache, save for a Canon.

This message proudly brought to you by broadcast sponsors, Canon and Pentoltamax

Owen H 21st February 2009 10:36 PM

Canon.

D Chan 21st February 2009 10:43 PM

I have Nikon and Canon cameras. In my opinion in terms of colours Nikon tends to be a bit on the blueish side and Canon on the yellowish side. Canon's colours tend to be closer. A friend of mine who works in a photo printing business told me that colours from Canon are a better.

Having said that I really don't think the difference is really big.

Jason Mac 21st February 2009 11:43 PM

Holden V Ford !!!! Nikon V Canon........

Have a look at the Australian photographic forum. Some great info re both cameras.

http://www.photoforum.com.au/

phil.l 22nd February 2009 06:58 AM

Canon....... Ford

Montague S 22nd February 2009 07:34 AM

http://i42.tinypic.com/wu55if.jpg

Krzysztof M 22nd February 2009 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Montague S (Post 22628)

Means nothing.

Nigel C 22nd February 2009 08:34 AM

Means Canon!

Andrew McLaughlin 22nd February 2009 08:47 AM

Seriously though Darren, although I personally use Canon, it's because I was put onto the brand by our magazine's photohrapher who has used both brands and is now a died in the wool Canon user.

But from what I hear, both brands are pretty much equally excellent. The pros tell me Canon has offered better after-sales service in the past (although $50 for a sensor clean isn't what I would call good after sales service!), but I also hear they have 'restructured' (i.e. significantly downsized!) at Canon North Ryde recently so that it remains to be seen if the service will continue! Canon is also said to produce better lenses, but they haven't released a new L series lens for many years (in my price range anyway!), so I'm sure Nikon has done some catching up.

As Grahame said, I hear the new Nikon D300 is awesome, and I've seen some fantastic results from the D300 from members of this board.

I suggest you establish what features you want from your camera, what lenses you want for it, and then shop around for the best deals on either Canon or Nikon...I doubt you'll be disappointed with either.

That said, I selected Canon in the poll! :D

Cheers

David M 22nd February 2009 10:06 AM

Canon - Boeing
Nikon - Airbus

The battle rages for eternity!

Darren Butterworth 22nd February 2009 10:19 AM

EOS 50D?
D300?

I've started the proverbial spreadsheet.

Soo many hours this morning spent on the Nikon & Canon sites, I think I'll go across the road to the pub for a while.

Stephen Brown 22nd February 2009 10:21 AM

I drive the Nikon D300 myself and have no problems in highly recommending it. There are numerous examples around from both types and ultimately it will be what you feel happy and comfortable with.

I must say that it was mentioned earlier that you need to be a photoshop professional to use Nikon. Actually these days I'm finding the reverse is true, as since going to the D300 I find I have to do less to what is coming out of the camera, and even then it is usually just a crop and straighten.

But don't forget the glass. It's the cameras combination with the lens that will decide on how your pictures look. You can have a great camera body, but if you have crappy glass then that will degrade the picture (softness, fringing etc).

It also depends on the photographer themselves. So many people lash out and buy an expensive camera and lens, then don't RTFM and use the camera to its full potential. I guess some people expect the camera to do it all for them.

The best suggestion is to do your research, and to find which camera you are most comfortable with.

Try www.dpreview.com for a good place to start. They have reviews and forums for all the major brands and you can usually find what you want over there.

As a screener on Jetphotos.net I have seen the best and worst of both major brands of camera. There are more factors at play than just the brand, but it's whats going to make you happy that counts.

Darren Butterworth 22nd February 2009 01:21 PM

Thanks Stephen DPReview is a great site.

Daz

Krzysztof M 22nd February 2009 11:14 PM

Darren,

There's another aspect, in my opinion more important in planespotting than colour (though as Mr Browneye said the D300 doesn't really require any adjustments in Photoshop. Same goes for skin colour rendition, the blueish cast of old models is long fixed). I'm talking about speed.

The Nikon D300 in high-speed mode with AA batteries can get you 9fps with 100pics burst at full 12.3MP (tried and timed myself to find mine can do 9fps while Nikon advertises 8-8.5fps in high-speed).

Now compare this with 3.9fps from Canon 5D Mk II with max 78pics, or 6.3fps at high speed from the 50D. D300 is nearly 50% faster than 50D, which matters.

But obviously the lens will be the ultimate factor. Basically only 4 serious telephoto zoom lenses really exist, Canon's 70-200 2.8 L IS vs Nikon's 70-200 2.8 VR which are on the same highest level. On the longer side, Canon's 100-400 IS is equivalent to Nikon's 80-400 VR. While optically both are same, Canon is USM so focuses instantly while the Nikon is a pig and is slower.

Hope this helps.

Edit: Oh, about that photo. Canon has produced 30 million lenses while Nikon has sold 40 million. See, the way they make their promo shots really means nothing.

NickN 23rd February 2009 09:48 AM

Pentax.

David M 23rd February 2009 05:59 PM

Quote:

Canon has produced 30 million lenses while Nikon has sold 40 million. See, the way they make their promo shots really means nothing.
Maybe Canon lenses don't break as much?

*ducks from all Nikon users*

David.M.

Grahame Hutchison 23rd February 2009 07:36 PM

Today I was shooting some product pack shots in our refrigerated warehouse, it was -5 degrees C and the D300 with Nikon's 70-200 2.8 VR and SB-800 Speedlight functioned perfectly. Fortunately it only took 20 minutes for the shoot as I was wearing a short sleeved shirt.

The D300 specification says Temperature: 0-40C/32-104F, Humidity: under 85% (no condensation)

Andrew McLaughlin 23rd February 2009 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David M (Post 22741)
Maybe Canon lenses don't break as much?

*ducks from all Nikon users*

David.M.

Looking for a high five emoticon...!:D

Steve V 23rd February 2009 09:02 PM

Considering that the general consensus appears to be Canon, this means that you probably have a greater pool of people to borrow lenses from :)

Nigel C 23rd February 2009 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew McLaughlin (Post 22755)
Looking for a high five emoticon...!:D

Will this do?
http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x...eusa_dance.gif

Or this?
http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x...sa_whistle.gif

Or maybe?
http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x82/Kiska2/023.gif

This might be the one?
http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x...usa_clap-1.gif

Darren Butterworth 22nd March 2009 01:14 PM

:D:DI Got the 50D:D:D

Very happy to say that I wend with the 50D. Thanks everyone for their advice. I think I got a good deal, but it's too late now.
50D with 18-200 lens, 5yr warranty, Inca tripod, Sandisk ExtreemeIII 8gb card, spare battery and Lowepro slingshot bag on 3yr interest free for $2700.

I've got a mate who is a pro with abot 9 lens' that he says I can borrow until I can afford my own.

Thank you again for your help and i can't wait to get to the mound to get some tips.

Thanks

Daz

Nigel C 22nd March 2009 01:55 PM

Sounds like a nice buy. Congrats on the Canon!

See above post for appropriate emoticons!

Craig Murray 22nd March 2009 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darren Butterworth (Post 24679)
I went with the 50D

Great choice, as a 30D (the D is for Dust) owner I'd give plenty for a 50D with some degree of dust protection via in camera sensor cleaning.

All you need to remember now is:

Quote:

You can with a Canon
Go forth and use it's pixels, often!

Raymond Rowe 22nd March 2009 06:14 PM

Nice choice Darren.Just point and shoot away.They are only pixels as others say.Enjoy it.

Stephen Brown 22nd March 2009 09:07 PM

Yeah Chris, I have a serious amount of camera envy. The D700 is on my list for the future.

The 300/f4 on the D300 sparkles and produces some great shots (see the jetphotos link in my signature, the pics are labeled with which ones were taken with the 300mm). I can only imagine how it looks on the D700.

Although I'd love to have the 300mm/f2.8 or 400mm/f2.8 on the front of it.;)

Something to look forward to.

Mike S 22nd March 2009 10:28 PM

I got a 50D today as well :)

Stephen Brown 23rd March 2009 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris d (Post 24753)
I spent my first afternoon using the D700 - I think I can get more out of it as I learn more of the intricacies. Given I've only had it since Thursday, I'm reasonably impressed with my first efforts - especially since I decided to stay late into dwindling light (I really wanted to test ISO400 and beyond). The images at ISO400 are still quite clean, dark blue sky has only very slight grain, pretty close to what a D80 does at its lowest ISO setting.

I spent some time looking through your photos on jp.net - I really liked the Air Tahiti Nui A343 image. You used Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8 G (IF) VR + TC17EII combination for that image according to your remarks. How much editing did you do to the image (in terms of sharpening)?

It looks very crisp, more than I was expecting with a TC being used, especially for the quite high resolution of the image.

It appears that the 70-200G and the 1.7x TC is a good combination - right?

Chris,

The 70-200/f2.8 is an outstanding lens to begin with, so adding the TC only slightly lessens the overall quality. I use both the 1.4 and 1.7. Its having a good base lens, the 300mm/f4 as well also likes the TC's, and shooting within the confines of the lens (i.e. shoot at a reasonable f stop and shutter speed). I only use the 70-200/f2.8 and the TC's when I need a bit of versatility, I much prefer the 300mm/f4 when working at long lengths. That particular day with the Tahiti Nui we had the taxiway right infront of us as well as the runway, so I needed the zoom function.

Also I must note that I shoot in RAW. The post processing is usually done in Nikon Capture. The RAW file obviously doesn't make the picture sharper, but it does give you more scope for adjustment around exposure and colours.

If you use that D700 right I've seen some great noiseless pictures all the way up past ISO1000.

Oh and you can add the 200mm/f2 to my LLL (Lens Lust List)

Darren Butterworth 23rd March 2009 02:51 PM

MikeS - Great to hear, share your tips with me as you discover them.

I've already done something wrong I think. When I review pics on the lcd screen, the image has the red focus dots over it. I'll need to dive into the manual.

Darren

Greg McDonald 23rd March 2009 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darren Butterworth (Post 24838)
MikeS - Great to hear, share your tips with me as you discover them.

I've already done something wrong I think. When I review pics on the lcd screen, the image has the red focus dots over it. I'll need to dive into the manual.

Darren

Using the manual is cheating!!!!

Andrew McLaughlin 23rd March 2009 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craig Murray (Post 24691)
Great choice, as a 30D (the D is for Dust) owner I'd give plenty for a 50D with some degree of dust protection via in camera sensor cleaning.

I've also found the 30D is susceptible to dust, but I suspect it's related more to the general lack of sealing around the camera body/buttons/battery grip/lens join.

The sealing on my 40D is much better (hence the different battery grip model number from the 30D), but it's still not great, and I'm sure not convinced the sensor clean function on the 40D does any good at all!

Hopefully the 50D has improved upon the sealing even more, and has a sensor clean worth *****!

I would be interested in a report on it after you've used it a few times Darren, as my 30D is coming due for replacement (or handing down!) and I'm considering whether to go with the 50D or to stretch to the 5D MkII.

Cheers

Andrew McLaughlin 23rd March 2009 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darren Butterworth (Post 24838)
I'll need to dive into the manual.

A man? Using a manual???

That's...that's...that's like stopping and asking for directions!!! :eek::eek::eek:

Philip Argy 26th March 2009 06:45 AM

Sometimes only the manual will do!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg McDonald (Post 24840)
Using the manual is cheating!!!!

Depends on the context, Greg:
http://yssyforum.net/board/showpost....98&postcount=3
:D