Sydney Airport Message Board

Sydney Airport Message Board (http://www.yssyforum.net/board/index.php)
-   Admin and Feedback (http://www.yssyforum.net/board/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Using the "Quote" function correctly (http://www.yssyforum.net/board/showthread.php?t=169)

Craig Murray 30th March 2008 01:42 PM

Using the "Quote" function correctly

This is something that's bugged me since the function was incorporated into the previous board and it is again rearing its head here.

Can we see some restraint from users and positive moderation from the site admin in relation to quotes?

Please do not quote an entire message but rather quote only the relevant text. All you have to do is delete the non essential information between the "Quote" tags in your reply.

Your views on this would be welcomed.

Craig Murray 30th March 2008 01:43 PM

For example, rather than do this

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craig Murray (Post 995)
This is something that's bugged me since the function was incorporated into the previous board and it is again rearing its head here.

Can we see some restraint from users and positive moderation from the site admin in relation to quotes?

Please do not quote an entire message but rather quote only the relevant text. All you have to do is delete the non essential information between the "Quote" tags in your reply.

Do this

Quote:

Please do not quote an entire message but rather quote only the relevant text.

You'll note that next to the user name in the above quote you are given the option of seeing the post being quoted which renders the need to re-quote the entire post completely useless.

Lukas M 30th March 2008 01:50 PM

Thanks for the advice;);)

Rod Sloan 30th March 2008 09:51 PM

Quote:

Great idea.

Mark D 31st March 2008 08:52 AM

It's not a problem limited to discussion boards either, the number of emails I get from varying sources that quote the whole of a previous message to reference one line is a pain.
Back when I started on dial-up (2400 baud even) & BBSes that was very bad etiquette due to the time they took to download! now everyone is on broad(er) band that's not considered a problem I suppose....
So I'm a dinosaur :-)

Nigel C 6th April 2009 08:19 PM

Another thing that's been selectively 'moderated' recently (presumably due to the sheer weight of time involved to do every 'offending' post) is quoting the message that appears immediately above the reply post.

Nigel C 6th April 2009 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nigel C (Post 25903)
Another thing that's been selectively 'moderated' recently (presumably due to the sheer weight of time involved to do every 'offending' post) is quoting the message that appears immediately above the reply post.

So here's the reply to the post that appears above.
Personally I don't see the point in quoting the post immediately above, and not even part of it; if you read down the page the reply should make sense like you're reading a (hopefully) sensible book, or a fine magazine like Australian Aviation.

Perhaps we can all make the effort to not just quote every post that appears immediately above where we're replying. This might also help remove the appearance of 'selective' moderating.

Craig Murray 6th April 2009 08:57 PM

Couldn't agree more Nigel. Put simply, it isn't necessary.

There are some that think this method of posting is modus operandi however by following the correct procedure to alert the moderation team to these posts we can hopefully gain a neater, more efficient and legendary forum.

The correct procedure for reporting "Quote abuse" is the "Report Post" icon, click on it and offer forth a clear and valid explanation as to why the post should be edited/removed. This is the preferred method to the time honoured tradition of marinating the user in flammable material, firing up all four burners on the Webbebberkew and dishing out a whopping great grillin' :D

I'm sure, and don't quote me (couldn't resist the pun!), the moderators will agree.

Philip Argy 6th April 2009 09:39 PM

Superfluous quotations

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nigel C (Post 25905)
So here's the reply to the post that appears above.
.... if you read down the page the reply should make sense ....

The Board offers the option of displaying threads with newest first, which is what I do, so that the latest contribution is at the top rather than the bottom, and the thread reads from bottom to top. So I only have to scroll down a few contributions to pick up the sense of any thread I've not previously followed. It probably saves me a few minutes per visit = 5 mins per day = 35 mins a week .... But I agree with the criticism of superfluous quoting.

Kurt A 7th April 2009 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nigel C (Post 25903)
presumably due to the sheer weight of time involved to do every 'offending' post

Hi Nigel, you are quite right in fact, when on occasions there could be anywhere between 30 and 60 new posts to read each day.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nigel C (Post 25905)
This might also help remove the appearance of 'selective' moderating.

Nig, great again, as it's certainly a valid observation. And thank you for pointing it out. As whilst we'd like to be able to 'fix' every post so it appears without the aforementioned "quote"; purely by coincidence, a Moderator may have missed some posts during their read. Everyone's understanding here is greatly appreciated as it's certainly not selective moderating we're applying, or any anti-favouritism at all.

In any case, the below solution should help alleviate any concerns.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craig Murray (Post 25907)
The correct procedure for reporting "Quote abuse" is the "Report Post" icon, click on it and offer forth a clear and valid explanation as to why the post should be edited/removed. This is the preferred method to the time honoured tradition of marinating the user in flammable material, firing up all four burners on the Webbebberkew and dishing out a whopping great grillin' :D

I'm sure, and don't quote me (couldn't resist the pun!), the moderators will agree.

Thanks Craig. That's twice for you in one week :)