Sydney Airport Message Board

Sydney Airport Message Board (http://www.yssyforum.net/board/index.php)
-   Radar Spotting (http://www.yssyforum.net/board/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   YSSY Radar broadcast online? (http://www.yssyforum.net/board/showthread.php?t=1203)

NickN 4th August 2008 06:59 PM

YSSY Radar broadcast online?

I was searching around today to try and find a live broadcast for a Sydney radar but had trouble locating one that is active. Does anybody have a link to a site that broadcasts live radar?

I saw first hand on the weekend one of those Kinetic Avionics SBS transponders linked to a laptop tracking real-time but haven't found anybody sending that data live to the web for the public to view.

Rhys Xanthis 4th August 2008 07:32 PM

There is the 16right.com acars google maps, but its not as good as a radar would be.

Incidentally...

QF don't seem too worried about fuel prices:p

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...this/lolqf.jpg

David C 4th August 2008 07:32 PM

There is a site called Planeplotter that broadcasts via the web real time radar returns . It can be found at http://www.coaa.co.uk/planeplotter.htm..

Here is a screen shot taken just a few minutes ago of the YSSY area . Not very busy though .

http://img355.imageshack.us/img355/2...8193502po9.jpg

Dave C

Grahame Hutchison 4th August 2008 08:27 PM

Hi Rhys, now and then the ACARS transmissions are corrupted by weather conditions etc. and an aircraft appears in strange locations.

This example would be a great flight from Sydney to Brisbane at 500ft.

Rhys Xanthis 4th August 2008 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grahame Hutchison (Post 9995)
Hi Rhys, now and then the ACARS transmissions are corrupted by weather conditions etc. and an aircraft appears in strange locations.

This example would be a great flight from Sydney to Brisbane at 500ft.

Thanks for the clarification Grahame :)

NickN 5th August 2008 09:12 AM

Planeplotter is exactly what I am after. It will do until I can spare the $1,000 to buy my own transponder from Kinetics.

David C 5th August 2008 09:38 AM

Glad I could be of help... Planeplotter is fantastic , I guarantee that you won't bother spending your $1000 when you can fully use PP . Enjoy ..

Dave C

NickN 5th August 2008 12:05 PM

I am just trying to get my head around how to get Planeplotter to work. Not quite sure where to start........ I think I need to download maps of Sydney etc and I have no clue to to connect it to an online source. Lots of reading coming my way.

Noel White 5th August 2008 02:29 PM

Hello NickN, the Kinetic SBS-1 unit processes the ADS-B and ModeS radio transmissions from those aircraft so equipped and places the info into a Kinetic software program called BaseStation. BaseStation then displays the aircraft's position, altitude, direction and speed on an outline of the area of your interest. You can download or draw up outlines and waypoints to suit your own needs. Theres are a number of SBS-1 users located around Australia who, I'm sure, will be willing to help you out with maps of your area.

PlanePlotter is a separate program that takes that same info from the SBS-1 and again displays the information on a satellite image or Google Earth. There is no real advantage running BaseStation along side PlanePlotter because you see the same details. However, what is so great about PlanePlotter that you can share your plots with other sharers around the world and in turn see their plots.

While the SBS-1 unit is not cheap, BaseStation is free and is under further development with many add-on program which makes it a fascinating hobby. PlanePlotter costs a one off fee of 25 Euros and the developer, an Australian, working from Portugal is constantly updating the program 2 to 3 times a month.

There are group of Australian PP sharers feeding their plots covering the populated areas from far North Queensland right around the coast (including Tassie) all the way to Perth. Depending on their locations and how high their antennas are, could have a range as good as 200nm. The ADS-B transmissions are in the 1090Mhz band and are very line of sight so hills, trees buildings etc., tend to block some of the data.

So if you don't want to part with your hard earned dollars for a SBS unit, you only need to download PlanePlotter, pay your licence fee and watch the world's sky open up from of the comfort of your lounge room.

NickN 5th August 2008 07:54 PM

Noel awesome info!!

I am just trying to figure out how to get my PlanePlotter to receive other peoples data relays and get the right maps set up.

Jason Carruthers 5th August 2008 08:29 PM

Hmmmm

From the screenshot provided by David C does anyone else wonder what VYH is doing at FL450 near YSSY on a LAX-HNL flight. :p

Nigel C 6th August 2008 07:19 AM

Trying to work out where the next fuel stop is...;)

David C 6th August 2008 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason Carruthers (Post 10114)
Hmmmm

From the screenshot provided by David C does anyone else wonder what VYH is doing at FL450 near YSSY on a LAX-HNL flight. :p

:):)... Yes looks like FL450 , but it was actually FL150 and decending . We have to thank the poor quality of the screen shot for that !! ... As for the LAX-HNL routing , well that seems to be a quirk in the system , it's a very common occurance .

Dave C

Noel White 6th August 2008 05:25 PM

[QUOTE I am just trying to figure out how to get my PlanePlotter to receive other peoples data QUOTE]

Nick, unfortunately you have to pay the 25 Euros to be able to do that. The fee gives you access to the COAA server and the key to the front door. BTW if you are into ACARS you can use PlanePlotter to process your own ACARS data. What I didn't mention before, is that PP also works with AirNav's RadarBox as well as the Kinetic SBS box to process the ADS-B info.

There is a very active PlanePlotter forum that can be more than helpful if you want to know the finer details. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/planeplotter/

Rhys Xanthis 6th August 2008 06:22 PM

So with the COAA server, there is other peoples data from just about anywhere in Australia as well as some other countries?

Rhys

David Wilkie 6th August 2008 06:39 PM

The green areas are the areas covered by PP at the moment

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/f...cars/pp2-1.jpg

Rhys Xanthis 6th August 2008 06:41 PM

Thanks heaps David!

Looks like Perth is well covered!

I might have to buy planeplotter on friday arvo!

Is there a guide or is it pretty easy to connect to other peoples feeds?

NickN 6th August 2008 06:44 PM

I just got PlanePlotter up and running full scale today and its awesome. I have the map for SE Australia which is basically VIC, NSW and SE QLD lots of traffic to view.

David Wilkie 6th August 2008 06:56 PM

Perth is well covered but i think there is only one person sharing so it's
not always up.

Rhys Xanthis 6th August 2008 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Wilkie (Post 10172)
Perth is well covered but i think there is only one person sharing so it's
not always up.

Oh well, i can always look elsewhere! Theres a whole world out there;)

NickN 7th August 2008 08:45 AM

Rhys,

For the small price for the program it would still be worth having. If Perth goes offline you have the entire eastern seaboard to gawk at.

NickN 7th August 2008 09:11 AM

Here is one from this morning.....

Dave Parer 7th August 2008 11:24 AM

Here is what Oz looks like now at 11am. I provide one of the feeds for North Qld from Townsville.

By the way, anyone out there living in Darwin that wants to part with $1,000? Having coverage in DRW would complete our Aussie coverage as watching traffic in & out and the internationals flying over Darwin would be great to watch.

Dave Parer 7th August 2008 11:36 AM

Here is hopefully a better pic, my last pic seems too small.

NickN 7th August 2008 02:04 PM

I just noticed a Korean B744F reg HL-7600 which appears to be on climbout from Sydney f/n KAL581. Does this regularly come to Sydney?

NickN 7th August 2008 02:08 PM

Also noticed this one....

Reg A32-439
Flight No. RDBK39
A/craft type BE35

Currently tracking 002 at FL250

Any ideas? Obviously military?

Nigel C 7th August 2008 02:32 PM

Army Kingair 350

Michael Mak 7th August 2008 02:48 PM

Can someone please confirm this before I make €25 purchase.

I downloaded PlanePlotter and at the moment I do not have my own transponder. From what I have read previously, if I pay for PlanePlotter, I'd have access to the server which allows me to access other people's data without the need of my own equipment?

NickN 7th August 2008 03:59 PM

Michael that is correct, once you register you can receive other peoples data from the PLanePlotter server which is what I do... Hope you enjoy.

NickN 7th August 2008 04:00 PM

And just out of curiosity, QF 752 VH-VYL performed this 360 degree loop prior to continuing into Sydney, anybody know why?

Noel White 7th August 2008 05:05 PM

Nick, most likely put into a holding pattern due to a line of thunderstorms passing thru Sydney at that time and a need for a bit more ATC separation due other traffic.

Noel White 7th August 2008 05:13 PM

Nick, BTW my PlanePlotter sharer's code is (eW) and from my location in Sydney have coverage beyond CBR almost to the Vic border but not so great in other directions due to terrain.

Dave Parer 7th August 2008 05:15 PM

Nick,
I actually have another of the Army Kingair's on it's way into Townsville now. A32-437 which I am tracking on my SBS radar.
Cheers,
Dave.

NickN 7th August 2008 07:46 PM

Awesome stuff Noel, I don't know how to separate individual signal senders but appreciate having you guys around so we can keep our eyes on the airspace!

Do you guys know of any good calibrated maps for eastern australia? I have some from www.mantma.co.uk but I'd appreciate something a little better.

Michael Mak 13th August 2008 08:18 PM

Finally got PlanePlotter up and running, an awesome program!

Does anyone know where I can download maps of Australia? I found some from the site Nick mentioned but I'm looking for maps of Perth and Queensland.

PS it seems Brisbane and Melbourne are down tonight, I could only get flight data of Sydney.

SteveW 16th December 2008 03:57 PM

Hmm, you guys prompted me to purchase this. I have a registered version, but can't seem to connect to any sharers. I have the same maps as NickN (from matma) and I've tried UK / Aus maps - all with no traffic.

My timezone is correct, I am on a standard ADSL2+ connection - can't seem to find anything else wrong. The screenshots on the wiki are different to my version, but I basically have I/O set to receive UDP/IP Data from net and anything 'sendy' I have unchecked.

Anyone else encounter dramas when setting it up?

andrew evans 16th December 2008 06:17 PM

Help Please

I have just paid the money for plane plotter and all i have is blank radar screen from what i can follow is i have to down load maps of the area that i want(sydney).What site do i get them from if anyone knows.thanks

SteveW 16th December 2008 06:55 PM

Hey Andrew,

Try http://www.mantma.co.uk/pp_support.html, I got my maps from there. I now have a blank screen with a map ;)

andrew evans 16th December 2008 07:21 PM

Thanks Steve i have the map and a blank screen too.If you want i cam private message my number and we can try and work it out over the phone if you want.

andrew evans 16th December 2008 08:00 PM

If anyone could help me with getting my plane plotter going i would be greatfull.I can give you a contact number so we could try and work it out over the phone or in person if i could get to you.I am in sydney Campbelltown.