Sydney Airport Message Board

Sydney Airport Message Board (http://www.yssyforum.net/board/index.php)
-   Australia and New Zealand Industry (http://www.yssyforum.net/board/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   QF 744 retirement. Where is it at? (http://www.yssyforum.net/board/showthread.php?t=7947)

Jim M 20th September 2012 11:49 PM

If anyone obtains details of OJH's exact departure details when they become available as well as whether she is headed to VCV or Marana,I'd be grateful if they would post.

Thanks
Jim

Jim M 29th September 2012 11:16 PM

Found a flight departure listed on the Sydney Airport departures list for the 03/10/12 at 1230 QF6019 to Los Angeles.

Anyone know if this is OJH 's departure,or some other repositioning flight?

Cheers
Jim

Todd Hendry 30th September 2012 03:30 AM

Jim.

As usual you are correct.

OJH leaves on the 3rd of OCT to LAX.

Then after 24 hours in LAX goes to MZJ.

Keep up the good / sad work.

Todd.

Jim M 30th September 2012 10:08 AM

Todd

Thanks for the info and the complement. Its quite funny actually,because when I posted it I had a feeling that you would be right up on the info with this - and you were!

I will continue to keep up with the 744 retirement because for me it is a very sad and also significant time,not only for QF,but for aviation in Australia.
This aircraft has been and still is the backbone of the QF International Fleet for over two decades and that cannot be disputed.

Thanks again

Jim

David Heath 30th September 2012 02:38 PM

I will be saddened by VH-OJA eventually going to the metal jaws. I think it's more significant than the fleet that VH-EBQ represents at Longreach, plus it was named after that town and the revolutionary capability it provided for long haul high capacity transport; plus the world record endurance.....etc etc.

Dave Dale 30th September 2012 04:31 PM

David, am I reading too much into your post about OJA? Do you know when she is leaving the fleet?

Dave

Brad Varney 30th September 2012 08:24 PM

Hopefully she will go into the QF museum!
I understand that OJA and OJD are the only two QF 747's RB-211 that are owned?

Dave Dale 30th September 2012 09:51 PM

After OJH goes, I think nearly all of the 747s are owned now. The exceptions are OJH, OJG & OJJ which are owned by RIL aviation.

I note four ex BA 767s are now owned too. (ZXA, ZXE, ZXF, ZXG) Purchased at end of lease. ZXB, ZXC & ZXD are still leased.

Dave

Jim M 30th September 2012 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Dale (Post 78140)
After OJH goes, I think nearly all of the 747s are owned now. The exceptions are OJH, OJG & OJJ which are owned by RIL aviation.

Dave,

Once OJH departs,do you have any idea of an order of which are the next to go and when that might be?

Cheers
Jim

Ash W 1st October 2012 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Heath (Post 78131)
I will be saddened by VH-OJA eventually going to the metal jaws. I think it's more significant than the fleet that VH-EBQ represents at Longreach, plus it was named after that town and the revolutionary capability it provided for long haul high capacity transport; plus the world record endurance.....etc etc.

Actually -OJA is and has always been named City of Canberra. Sure the word Longreach appears on the side but that was a marketing name that was applied to the entire -400 fleet. Whilst it may well be a play on words from the town name it actually refers to the distance the a/c can fly.

-OJI is the actual a/c named after the town.