View Single Post
Old 28th April 2008, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Leadenham View Post
And I never thought I'd see the day when a lens cleaning discussion ran to three pages of posts . . . . .
Me either!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Leadenham View Post
There is no right or wrong answer where the use of protective filter is concerned. More a case of personal preference and risk assessment. And as these messages prove, the pros are as much divided on the issue as us mere amateurs.
I used to follow the put a UV filter on everything theory... after 15 or more years of serious SLR use I've yet to scratch a filter. However I have had shots in low or extreme light mucked up by the filter providing un-wanted internal reflections between the front of the lens and the back of the filter.

So now I don't use a filter 80% of the time, only if I'm in high glare or adverse conditions (sand / salt spray) where the filter can help the lens protection.

As to cleaning the lens (back to Nige' original Q) - a clean microfiber cloth is good, I also use the cleaning fluid I got to clean the sensor. BUT I don't apply the fluid directly to the lens, but to the cleaning cloth / paper.