View Single Post
Old 26th November 2011, 11:38 AM

Reading that article reminded me of defence project that went horribly wrong regarding a certain helicopter that could not handle the software that was being installed in it. There is no way this F-22/ Evolved F-111 option would work. Regarding the PIG, the airframes were getting to old structural fatigue, availability when called upon and other issues meant the time was right for them to go, although I wish they didn't.

It's interesting that in another article on that particular web-site stated that legacy airframes for the USAF such as the F-16,15/ A-10 and so on were now to old for modern day Russian Jets/ missiles/ and radars, they were developed early 70's. The F-111 was developed from 1960 when a requirement was issued from SAC to replace the F-105 Thundercheif as a nuke capable aircraft. The F-105 took up too much runway when operating with a particular ordnance.

So it's a 60's aircraft and if the 70's aircraft are to old for modern day defence's then a 60's era aircraft is to old....and don't get me started on the F-22 for the RAAF....