Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Technical > Flying and Technical Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 25th May 2011, 05:25 PM

Default Fear of Flying

A quick article from the Sydney Morning Herald on severe turbulance. Doesn't go into a lot of detail on which flight it is or when this occured, but sounds like a Air Tahiti Nui AKL-PPT service and presumably recently.

http://www.smh.com.au/travel/blogs/t...525-1f36r.html.

I presume no one on this board as a fear of flying, but I am sure many of us fly more often then most people so have experienced more turbulance then others.

What is the worst you have experienced?

There are probably two for me;

1. Boxing Day, 1998. EZE - SCL in a AR 747 (200 I think) flying over the Andies in the very back row of the aircraft. The plane was bouncing/rolling/diving in just about every direction. Knowing that we were over a rather high mountain range mentally made it more difficult I think! Lasted the entire flight.

2. Early October, 2000. SFO - SYD, UA 744. Just after take off when cabin crew were just hoping up, hit some clear air turbulance, only lasted a few minutes but we were seated adjacent to the galley and a male flight attendant came running past us close to tears screaming "oh my god, oh my god" and into the galley to be consolled by his co-workers. I remember thinking for about 30 minutes after the turbulance that the captain was going to come on to say we were turining back to SFO due to an injured flight attendant. That didn't happen and to this day I'm a little surprised as to how one was not injured.

Cheers

M
Old 25th May 2011, 06:26 PM

mine....

QF11 - Feb 2006 - Mid Pacific. Were cruising along at 36,000ft, a nice smooth flight, i am on the toilet when unexpectedly we hit a HUGE patch of turbulence.... Long story Short, the cubicle was closed for cleaning afterwards...

DJ88 - Jan2011 - Approaching NZQN - We had a smooth flight on this 1/2 empty 737 from Sydney. however things got a little less smooth over Lake Wakitipu on 20-40 mile final. the plane was yawing, rolling and pitching constantly, next we do the classic turn around the mountain and to land on 05, the plane was still moving a lot, we landed, and there were claps all around. After the flight i went into the flight-deck to meet the Captain (lovely chap, sadly forgot the name). I asked him why it was so rough, he said 20kt crosswind.

Also, my parents were on this, not me, buut on a QF flight from YBBN-YSSY they encountered severe weather on approach in YSSY. They were holding for 30 mins over Sydney before the dared an approach, they had 2 missed approach's and a runway change. Eventually they landed safely, but were as white as Ghosts when they got back home

John
Old 25th May 2011, 09:51 PM

Worst I've had was on VH-VOU (I think) MEL-SYD a few months back. Cabin Crew were released to start the service when the aircraft suddenly did the notorious couple-of-metres drop that feels like 100 feet. Flight Attendants stuck awkwardly in the rear galley trying to support the cart and themselves, woman across the aisle gripping the arm rests for dear life (we've all seen that I'm sure) - and over in about 30 seconds!

Made the flight a bit more interesting I thought!!
Old 25th May 2011, 11:14 PM

The two worst I have had were about two weeks apart:
First was on JAL flight from SYD-NRT on JA706J in September 2009, from Cape York onwards was just non-stop turbulence at times pretty rough. Landing was the worst I have ever had, touched with the left, bounced up down with the right, up again and down before braking really hard on the wet runway, stopped just in time. Usually in this situation I would be okay but the chick next to me was screaming which doesn't help!

Second was on the return leg of that on board JA707J, turbulence from NRT to somewhere close to Australia (I eventually fell asleep). Wasn't that bad except for one lot that shook the plane violently causing the overhead locker above me (which wasn't closed properly) to open and spill its contents everywhere. Also caused a minor head injury to someone in the toilet.
29/3/24 QF2078 (TQH)
29/3/24 QF945 (VXA)
17/3/24 QF1268 (X4A)
17/3/24 QF1267 (X4A)
1/3/24 QF1274 (X4A)
1/3/24 QF1269 (X4B)
Old 25th May 2011, 11:23 PM

Worst was in a Saab 340 from Sydney to Canberra with Rex (Ahhhh I miss Rex flying in here). Flight attendant was doing her rubbish collection when we hit a pocket and dropped a bit. The tray of rubbish was promptly thrown into the toilet when she ran back to her seat to prevent injury.
Old 26th May 2011, 07:45 AM

I used to have a fear of flying, got over it and now I am training for a pilot's certificate

Can't remember much but I think the worst I've had would be a flight form CFS-SYD on a VB/VA 737. Bumpy flight with several instances of random dropping from air pockets
Old 26th May 2011, 05:15 PM

I can never get used to it. Never know what mother nature is up to up there.

Although I do feel better with an aussie aircrew and airline. I'm sure aircrew around the world meet the same critera however an aussie crew does add some comfort.
Old 26th May 2011, 06:09 PM

Interesting topic.

My worst is from KUL to FRA, back in late 90s on MH.

Going across the sub-continent, late at night (of course) we jumped and bumped all over the shop! For hours....... The light show outside made up for it, totally amazing storms that were a LONG way below us.

2nd worst:

On TG from BKK to SYD, similar to has as has been mentioned in earlier posts, wonderful flight, we were in Central Aust about to get breakfast and we dropped HUNDREDS of metres (no we didnt, but gee it sure felt like it)
15 mins later what was all that about? Continued on with a great flight into Syd.

Kind regards,

Geoff