Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 28th November 2012, 12:34 AM

Thanks Ash.
So there isn't much of a legitimate risk of someone tampering/putting something in your unlocked luggage?
The main reason people lock their luggage is to secure their personal items?
Or is it a case of little of both scenarios?

As for the TSA locks thanks, that was the direction I was going to go from the research I have done. Yet the same research has suggested the TSA locks are in some cases a complete waste of time. Stories of passengers who collect their luggage only to find their TSA lock has been cut off with the TSA apology letter in their bag saying something along the lines of "your lock needed to be cut" with no further explanation given.

Apparently some US airport workers have blown the whistle on their co-workers of just being 'lazy' or loosing their master TSA key, so when screening passengers luggage, the security staff simply just cut the locks off to open up and check through the luggage.

I would think this is a very rare occurance - staff cutting locks out of lazyness, however many passengers who have used TSA locks in the past have reported airport security cutting their locks off.
Old 28th November 2012, 06:20 AM

Locking and wrapping luggage is, at the end of the day all about making the passenger feel better. I would say the chance of someone putting something in your bag is basically next to zero, although if Corby had an account here she may well disagree.

The chance of someone stealing is real, but ultimately lock or no lock if they are going to steal they will, hence why anything valuable should be carried onboard.

With the TSA locks again they are all about making the passenger feel good. Never heard of them being cut, but don't doubt it either.

Personally I use luggage seals similar to the ones below, because I know you cannot stop someone who really wants to get in, so I really just want to know if someone has been in. The only reason, as mentioned is it makes me feel better.

http://www.luggagelock.com.au/index.php
Old 29th November 2012, 11:08 PM

^
Thanks for that Ash, appreciate it.

Cheers