Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 8th April 2010, 12:30 PM

Double post

Last edited by Adam G; 8th April 2010 at 08:18 PM.
Old 8th April 2010, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Zweck View Post
Once you have waded through all the rubbish and tripe, you find Qantas is still the world's safest airline.
Have you got a source for that comment? Not being picky but I'm not sure if that would still be accurate?
Old 8th April 2010, 02:35 PM

Why would you even think of saying that Adam. Qantas and all other Australian airlines are right up there for safety. Are you trying to say that other airlines around the world dont have issues or maintenance problems. Its just a media beatup, obviously there isnt much noteworthy news items at the moment and Qantas are taking the wrap for it.
Old 8th April 2010, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony R Haynes View Post
Its just a media beatup, obviously there isnt much noteworthy news items at the moment and Qantas are taking the wrap for it.
I'm sure that the union hasn't got anything to do with the minor incidents getting out either. But it's a little surprising that it's only QF taking the rap atm, given DJ is getting into negotiations too....
Old 8th April 2010, 02:48 PM

Here's a question that's not been asked yet ... is there another airline in the world which is subjected to more media scrutiny on a permanent basis than Qantas?
Old 8th April 2010, 06:23 PM

I think what we have to remember here is that most of what has been happening with Qantas has been incidents , not accidents , I think the media are just a bit trigger happy having a slow news week !!

When accidents start happening then that's a different story !!
Old 8th April 2010, 07:35 PM

I think DJ throw a better party than QF.

Best not to bite the hand that feeds you.
Old 8th April 2010, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent Broadhead View Post
I'm sure that the union hasn't got anything to do with the minor incidents getting out either. But it's a little surprising that it's only QF taking the rap atm, given DJ is getting into negotiations too....
I think if you look back through history you will see the moment Qantas is in negotiations with the maintenance unions that every little glitch with their aircraft tends to make it into the mainstream media, along with a comment from said union leaders about the importance of keeping maintenance on-shore etc. I certainly don't think it is a co-incidence.

A good case in point is the issue with the cracked 737 windsheild a few weeks back, followed by the cracked windsheild that delayed a 747 flights a bit later.
Old 8th April 2010, 08:08 PM

I agree Ash - I was being tongue in cheek re. the unions......
Old 8th April 2010, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony R Haynes View Post
Why would you even think of saying that Adam. Qantas and all other Australian airlines are right up there for safety.
Actually it was quite a legitimate question - I'm not denying Australian airlines are very safe but are any of them the safest?

Australian airlines by world standards have relatively small fleet sizes and internationally at least fly relatively long sectors (especially QF throughout their history) which decreases the risk.

Take an airline like Southwest for example - a fleet size of 540ish, a lot of very short sectors and in almost 40 years of operation still hasn't had a fatal event occur.

If you're measuring by no fatal accidents (which is a whole lot more accurate then day to day maintenance issues) there is quite a comprehensive list here: http://www.airsafe.com/events/nofatals.htm#uscan