Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11th December 2009, 08:18 PM
Lukas M

Some of those Aviation experts have said these moves are more strategic than anything else, being two steps ahead of Tiger before they take delivery of many A320s next year. Alot of these new Gold Coast flight start around the time Tiger are meant to start another base mid/late next yr- guessing OOL here.

I guess they could at least make something by sending the A320 to NTL and back than having it sit on the ground at OOL or adding another Sydney flight which just might be a little overkill...

Quote:
OOL-HBA
whether its Virgin/Jetstar or Tiger that hits this one, will be interested to see how it goes. Mabye JQ couldn't fit it in, that would close to 7-8 hour aircraft utilization, so mabye not far off. They did start the OOL-CNS flight, so you never know.
Old 12th December 2009, 06:24 AM

Yes, I'm sure that there are more factors behind some of these than I am privy to! Are all five new aircraft A320, or a mix of 320,321,332?
Old 12th December 2009, 11:54 AM

I'm also suprised that JQ don't start a OOL-HBA service. There will soon be nearly 2,500 seats each week on JQ's BNE-LST-BNE service, but less than 1,500 on DJ's BNE-HBA-BNE service. I remember back in the 1980's both AN and TN flew seasonal flights to OOL from HBA via LST.
Old 12th December 2009, 01:07 PM

Guys,

The schedules past end of MAR 2010 have not been updated yet. The new flights have just been added, none of the existing flights have been updated yet.
Old 12th December 2009, 01:19 PM

That would make sense Brad. Any idea how long it will take to do the full update?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan K View Post
I'm also suprised that JQ don't start a OOL-HBA service. There will soon be nearly 2,500 seats each week on JQ's BNE-LST-BNE service, but less than 1,500 on DJ's BNE-HBA-BNE service. I remember back in the 1980's both AN and TN flew seasonal flights to OOL from HBA via LST.
Reminds me of the mid to late 90's when LST-SYD always had more flights and seats than HBA-SYD, despite HBA being the stronger port. I guess it just comes down to what is available. If they had added for example an extra BNE-TSV and BNE-CNS, then they would have an aircraft available to viably re-instate BNE-HBA.
Old 12th December 2009, 01:46 PM

A Jetstar spokesperson told the Cairns post that CNS-PER and CNS-ADL will both become daily eventually. NTL has a bigger catchment population than HBA but I reckon they could start like 3 a week HBA-OOL to get a route established like they did with TSV-MEL then move up to daily over time too.
Old 12th December 2009, 02:43 PM

OOL-HBA-OOL might work if the service departed at a reasonable hour. JQ could not make their BNE-HBA-BNE route work as it arrived in BNE at just before midnight! I never chose this flight over DJ's HBA-BNE flight which departed in the early afternoon.
Old 12th December 2009, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarden S View Post
A Jetstar spokesperson told the Cairns post that CNS-PER and CNS-ADL will both become daily eventually. NTL has a bigger catchment population than HBA but I reckon they could start like 3 a week HBA-OOL to get a route established like they did with TSV-MEL then move up to daily over time too.
As Jetstar has just done with BNE-LST. This started at four flights a week and is now being upgraded to daily. Apparently loads a very good on this route.
Old 12th December 2009, 02:52 PM

Let's not forget that when DJ launced HBA-BNE in 2003 they started with a daily 73G. When JQ launched HBA-BNE in May 2005 they started with a daily 717. JQ's HBA-BNE only got dropped because of the ridiculous time as Ryan said. If you are going to have midnight flights, at least do it on a high frequency route that gives people the option of travelling at other times too. The midnight flights can then be cheaper if need be. HBA-BNE or HBA-OOL could easily be launched with a daily service in my opinion.
Old 14th December 2009, 05:58 AM
Lukas M

And here's another one. Purely aimed at Tiger this one..
Quote:
Jetstar opens new route to Brisbane
Quote:
BUDGET airline Jetstar is opening another front in the battle for seats against Virgin Blue and Tiger Airways with a new Melbourne-Brisbane service. Passengers booking a Jetstar flight north will be able to fly from both Tullamarine and Avalon for the first time from July 1 next year and at much cheaper prices. Jetstar begins selling the Melbourne-Brisbane flights from today, offering a one-way launch fare of just $49 and $89 one-way for a regular ticket.
The best deal Virgin had advertised yesterday was $149 one-way while Tiger charged $148 for Melbourne-Brisbane ticket.
Jetstar chief Bruce Buchanan said the plan is for two Melbourne-Brisbane flights a day and two Avalon-Brisbane services.
The new service is the next phase of the carrier's plan to ramp up its domestic operations next year with the delivery of new aircraft.

Last week Jetstar announced that it was embarking on its biggest capacity increase since it launched in 2004, with 77 extra return flights a week to key holiday destinations from Melbourne and Sydney.
Jetstar will have the ability to sell an extra 700,000 seats a year under the plan to up its domestic operation.
Mr Buchanan said the 128,000 extra seats a year provided by the new Melbourne-Brisbane service will allow the airline to carry an extra 828,000 passengers a year.
Operating from both airports provided a competitive edge which allowed the carrier to offer lower fares, he said.
The new arrangement will complement the existing Qantas full -service CityFlyer offering between Melbourne and Brisbane.