Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 2nd May 2008, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Bramwell View Post
Okay - Why is there an aircraft marked Z in the construction zone?

Looks nice, when do they start construction?
errr..its the North marker.

Next Flights:
MEL-HKG-HND-HKG-JFK-HKG-NRT-HKG-MEL/CX
Old 2nd May 2008, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montague S View Post
errr..its the North marker.

Okay - I'll get back to the end of the line..........
Old 2nd May 2008, 03:27 PM

Will be interesting however it pans out. At peak times you have 6 intl aircraft, 5 QF domestic (another 4-5 intrastate) and virgin blue with 3 aircraft. Thats just the main domestic.

Intrastate
Skippers 22
National Jet (146/dhc8) 10
National Jet 717 6
Network 7
Skywest 14
Maroomba 5
Alliance 3
Ozjet 1

Total 68 (if I have counted the correct amount aircraft and I should go around one night and count them all)

Not to mention the 5-6 B737-800's that overnight here in Perth.
Old 2nd May 2008, 03:43 PM

I fly out for work once every 2 weeks and its a regular occurance to get a ATC delay of 30 mins at Perth around 6am these days. You know your in trouble when your getting atc delays in Perth! Then when we finally get the ok to head off we end up sitting on the tarmac for another half hour waiting for the 10 regional/domestic and a couple of internationals to leave aswell as arrivals in between.

Cheers

Tim
Old 2nd May 2008, 04:03 PM

well if they can't fit 68 a/c in during a 24hr period with that new plan then they never will, looks like plenty of space to me...

Next Flights:
MEL-HKG-HND-HKG-JFK-HKG-NRT-HKG-MEL/CX
Old 2nd May 2008, 04:10 PM

Interesting to note there plans to be two hotels at the airport...

Would there really need to be 2 hotels at YPPH?
Old 2nd May 2008, 04:24 PM

Probably could handle two hotels, one I should think is plenty....

I like the idea of the rail link though - bout bloody time!
Old 2nd May 2008, 06:11 PM

Hi Grant

Perth is desperately short of hotel rooms at present due to the booming economy so one and better still, two new hotels will be most welcome as I believe that Observation City at Scarborough Beach is earmarked to be converted into luxury apartments thereby seeing another couple of hundred hotel rooms disappear.

Bruce, I guess the rail link will only be welcome if you can use it without travelling all over Perth to get on a train to go to the airport.

I'm not sure of the planned route and I presume it won't cater for Fremantle or the southern or western suburbs. Perhaps the planners need to look at an integrated rail/bus system where people all over Perth have the option of using convenient public transport to get to the airport.

Brenden, I've also been wondering about the many aircraft that would use the new complex, particularly the WA terminal where I guess Qantaslink will also base at least 8 B717s or their bigger replacements. It will awfully busy from about 0500, then from about 1500 into the early evening.

Surely WAC wouldn't expect props to operate from the existing facilities whilst jets move over to the new WA terminal - that would kill some operators.

So do we expect to see everything move over -Metros, Cessnas, Dash 8s, Brasilias etc as well as the jets and F50s from Skywest, National Jet, Network, Alliance, Ozjet and probably Skippers by then as well as whoever else might join in.

And we're talking about today's fleets - who knows what they will be in seven years time !

And then there's another question - what happens to the existing National Jet, Skippers and Network Aviation terminals ? Will they be demolished ? And of course what about all the new tarmacs and rumoured hangars being built at the regional precinct at present ? What will they be used for after 2015 ?

And the existing domestic terminal ? Will that be demolished and can we expect to see a commercial/industrial development spring up there ?

Will the engineering facilities, Maroomba Airlines, general aviation operators etc and Perth Flight Centre remain where they are ?

Interesting times ahead for Perth.
Old 2nd May 2008, 08:51 PM

They mention in another article that all the airlines have agreed to move into the new facilities.
Out of Network, Skywest, Alliance, Skippers and National Jet, only Skippers I believe have agreed.

What about the access road to the Terminal 1 right now? From memory 6 roundabouts? And the size of "Terminal WA" will not be big enough.

NJS Alone on a Tues-Thurs have nearly 1000 pax in the morning, and the same coming back at night. No room for engineering facilities, or GSE either.

Well it will be an interesting few years coming up.

On another topic, NJS has now started renovations on the area immediately outside it's terminal. When complete, it will have the taxi rank on Valentine Road, like Skippers have, and a entry and exit lane to the terminal, with drop off lanes only. Just like outside T2 and T3.

Will post some photos later on tonight.

Cheers

Carsten

Numloxx's Flightlog
jetphotos.net
Old 3rd May 2008, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby C View Post
Hi Grant

Perth is desperately short of hotel rooms at present due to the booming economy so one and better still, two new hotels will be most welcome as I believe that Observation City at Scarborough Beach is earmarked to be converted into luxury apartments thereby seeing another couple of hundred hotel rooms disappear.
Bobby,

I wouldn't say Perth is "desperately" short of hotel rooms. There are currently in excess of 4300 rooms in the Perth area. Having looked at the month by month statistics for the peak period (summer) 100% occupancy across the city wasn't recorded on any day from December through February.

I don't see the point in flooding an area with accommodation when there isn't the figures to back up such decisions. 1 hotel at Perth airport would IMO be suitable.

Granted, the addition of 2 hotels is by no means "flooding", but I think that any hotel developments in Perth would be better focused on being in the city.