Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10th May 2008, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Tully View Post
Airlines will go bust if it gets to that.
Airlines will always find new and improved ways to go bust, and have been doing so for decades...
Old 10th May 2008, 05:51 PM

Thumbs up

I've probably got a conflict of interest as a Qantas shareholder and a QF platinum frequent flyer, but I think it's a pretty difficult juggling act to keep the shareholders, staff, and passengers all happy most of the time whilst looking to the future to make sure that you don't lose a competitive edge.

As a shareholder right now the two things that most concern me are fuel prices, which can usually be covered at least to some extent with a fuel levy/surcharge, and the delay on the A380 deliveries which I hope will entitle Qantas to sufficient liquidated damages. I can't deny wanting to travel SQ when I get a chance and I am beginning to hate the old 767 fleet with increasing passion.

I also think DJ is going to hurt Qantas on the Canberra run as the Embrauers will be more popular than the Dash 8s, especially if they get the aerobridges all the time. Walking across the tarmac in Canberra in winter and waiting in the cold for "Premium" hand luggage quickly loses its attraction.

I don't begrudge the staff fair wages for fair productivity, and I certainly don't want to see safety compromised, so right now I'd have to say Dixon's team is juggling OK with the task ahead only getting harder.
Old 10th May 2008, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex G View Post

Ok maybe i should have worded it better to get my point across.
Umm if you are quoting someone you use THEIR words, not your own, unless of course you are trying to turn the words around to make your own but different point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Argy View Post

As a shareholder right now the two things that most concern me are fuel prices, which can usually be covered at least to some extent with a fuel levy/surcharge, and the delay on the A380 deliveries which I hope will entitle Qantas to sufficient liquidated damages. I can't deny wanting to travel SQ when I get a chance and I am beginning to hate the old 767 fleet with increasing passion.

I also think DJ is going to hurt Qantas on the Canberra run as the Embrauers will be more popular than the Dash 8s, especially if they get the aerobridges all the time. Walking across the tarmac in Canberra in winter and waiting in the cold for "Premium" hand luggage quickly loses its attraction.

I don't begrudge the staff fair wages for fair productivity, and I certainly don't want to see safety compromised, so right now I'd have to say Dixon's team is juggling OK with the task ahead only getting harder.
Pretty well summed up, it is a jugling act and I know for one I wouldn't want to be doing it.

As for Canberra-Sydney it will be interesting to see how it all goes for Virgin Blue and Qantas. I tend to agree that the space in the dash-8's will be a killer and as for this premium hand luggage what a joke. I recently purchased a cabin bag that conforms to Qantas link standards (think it is 105cm vis 115 on mainline), it fits in the frame but everytime I fly they insist it gets put in the hold as premium hand baggage.

I also heard that the Department of Finance has recently sent a directive to all Government departments that they are to give at least 25% of their business to Virgin Blue on the CBR-SYD run, athough oddly still mainting best fare of the day policy. Doesn't make sense to me as to how you can have a best fare policy AND a quota system.
Old 10th May 2008, 08:59 PM

Sounds like the consensus is that a differing opinion is not warranted.
Looks like I'm not all that fantastic at emphasising my point in text.... Oh well.

Maybe i should go to the pub- whose shout?

Last edited by Alex G; 10th May 2008 at 09:06 PM.
Old 10th May 2008, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Sounds like the consensus is that a differing opinion is not warranted.
Looks like I'm not all that fantastic at emphasising my point in text.... Oh well.

Maybe i should go to the pub- whose shout?

I don't think anyone has an objection to a differing opionion, but altering a quote to push your argument is stretching it a bit far.
Old 10th May 2008, 09:31 PM

So, selective emphasis appears to be out the window.
Ill keep it in mind next time i quote- ill quote the absolute full text, every last little single bit..

Well SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY YYYY for not throwing my hat into the ring for 'most politically correct quote of the year'

Last edited by Alex G; 10th May 2008 at 09:41 PM.
Old 10th May 2008, 10:11 PM

Quote:
So, selective emphasis appears to be out the window.
Ill keep it in mind next time i quote- ill quote the absolute full text, every last little single bit..

Well SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY YYYY for not throwing my hat into the ring for 'most politically correct quote of the year'
If you are going to quote, quote properly. You can cut words out of a quote but you should show that words are missing and it is not an exact quote. If you change the words to suit your argument then it is no longer a quote. In fact your quote with the addition of the word as changed the whole meaning.

As for the subject what would you want Qantas to do? Not re-invest in fleet renewal? Look at some of the airlines where the share holders didn't bother to re-invest in fleet renewal when it was really needed, Ansett under News Corp for eg and you will see what happens.

As for pay rises for staff, no one would disgaree that staff are entitled to be paid a fair rate, but profits in a company are no reason for it. Profits should be shared through bonuses not wage rises, afterall if the company started to loose money no employee would put their hand up for a pay cut would they?
Old 11th May 2008, 12:06 AM

Now let me think back to 2002 when I first started at Qantas, and it was hard and difficult times back then, and somehow every time a group would like a pay rise to keep up with inflation the CEO always comes out "oh were in a tough time and were bleeding money". We worked out the other night that the fuel surcharge that Qantas is charging a full load of pax that the pax pay for all the fuel, and then some. Go figure!
Old 11th May 2008, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenden S View Post
We worked out the other night that the fuel surcharge that Qantas is charging a full load of pax that the pax pay for all the fuel, and then some. Go figure!
That won't be for every flight though. The domestic fuel surcharge is the same regardless of the distance of the flight so of course there will be some sectors where a profit is made, but some where they will make a loss.
Old 11th May 2008, 01:10 AM

Default AFR Article 10 May 2008 re Geoff Dixon retirement/successors

Who best to pilot Qantas through headwinds?
10 May 2008 | The Australian Financial Review | Katrina Nicholas SINGAPORE

For those that haven't seen the report, it suggests that the three top contenders to succeed Geoff Dixon when he retires (probably in August) are internal candidates Peter Gregg, John Borghetti and Alan Joyce.

Any comments?