Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11th May 2008, 03:29 AM
Prolific Member

Yes. I prefer the larger fonts, especially at 0330 in the morning!
Old 11th May 2008, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash W View Post
If you are going to quote, quote properly. You can cut words out of a quote but you should show that words are missing and it is not an exact quote. If you change the words to suit your argument then it is no longer a quote. In fact your quote with the addition of the word as changed the whole meaning.

As for the subject what would you want Qantas to do? Not re-invest in fleet renewal? Look at some of the airlines where the share holders didn't bother to re-invest in fleet renewal when it was really needed, Ansett under News Corp for eg and you will see what happens.

As for pay rises for staff, no one would disgaree that staff are entitled to be paid a fair rate, but profits in a company are no reason for it. Profits should be shared through bonuses not wage rises, afterall if the company started to loose money no employee would put their hand up for a pay cut would they?

If im going to "QUOTE" ill hit the quote button. If im going to emphasise my point, im not going to put in the whole lot and then go deleting all but the half a dozen or so words i originally used.

I did show that words were missing by them not being there! I did clearly display that the original post of mine was not a full direct quote. The way it is written, with my subsequent question at the end of the first line reinforces such. Should i maybe have used the ' instead of " button????

Abviously the way i write is lost on some........... Even if i did put every single word in, and then put in my subsequent remark, i think people would still be picky.

Bugger me, i did say that maybe i should have written the first one a little better...

[BTW, did i quote correctly in this post?]
Old 11th May 2008, 08:51 AM

Default Style guide

Whilst not wanting to encourage pedantry, could I encourage people to at least peruse this abbreviated style guide that reflects current usage in Australia:
http://www.uow.edu.au/wupa/files/rhizome/stylesheet.pdf

Under the heading "QUOTATIONS" it explains the use of ellipsis points [...] to signify deleted text. For the purists, a three point ellipsis means that omitted material is within the one sentence whereas a four point ellipsis [....] signifies the omission of more than a sentence.

Having said that, the style guide in question is for a particular magazine and doesn't apply to YSSY. I just thought it was a useful reference point in the context of some of the [off topic!] contributions in this thread.
Old 11th May 2008, 01:33 PM
Senior Moderator

Back on topic please. Quoting suggestions to cease. Thank you.
Old 14th May 2008, 03:53 PM

Default QF in for some employee turbulence soon

Looks like the industrial action is to hot up this week with Bans from Thursday and a 4 hour stoppage on Friday by the Australian Licensed Aircraft Engineers.

I don;t actually know why Mr D. is going in with such hard ball on this one. I would have thought 3 v 5 points a little in the middle might have found peace.

Andrew

Quote:
QANTAS chief executive Geoff Dixon has appealed to the airline's staff to help keep disruptions to travellers to a minimum as it shapes up for what could be a protracted pay dispute with its engineers.

The Australian Licensed Aircraft Engineers Association will introduce ongoing overtime bans from midnight on Thursday and stage a four-hour stoppage on Friday, with a second the following Friday, in support of a 5 per cent wage claim. Mr Dixon said the action, which came after the union had reneged on a previous deal, would cause significant disruption to customers and financial losses to Qantas.

"The ALAEA has every right to take this protected action during EBA negotiations. That is the system we work under," Mr Dixon said. "Qantas also has every right to resist such action and to take any action to ensure our customers are not unduly disrupted. This is what we intend to do."

Mr Dixon reiterated his stance that Qantas would not change its 3 per cent wages policy or negotiate on the issue. He said the policy had allowed the company to invest more than $30 billion in new aircraft and add 6000 jobs at a time other carriers were reducing employment.

"Our industry is always difficult. No more so than now, with the price of crude oil reaching a new all-time high of $US126.25 a barrel on Friday night, double what it was a year ago," he said.

The ALAEA wants a wage increase that reflects rises in the cost of living and has warned it could introduce 48-hour stoppages if Qantas does anything to hurt its members. It has accused the airline of employing strikebreakers.

ALAEA federal secretary Steve Purvinas last night dismissed Mr Dixon's appeal to staff.

"It sounds to me that he just wants to keep delays down so he can keep wages down," he said.
Old 14th May 2008, 04:08 PM

About time they stand up. Looks like I am going to be in for a interesting 2 days at work!
Old 14th May 2008, 07:13 PM
Banned

The rest of the QF Group accepted 3% so why will the engineers not accept it?

Disappointing.
Old 14th May 2008, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Statement on Engineering Industrial Action
Sydney, 14 May 2008

Qantas said today it had put in place measures to minimise the impact on customers during the Australian Licensed Engineers Association's (ALAEA) four-hour stop work meeting on Friday.

The Chief Executive Officer of Qantas, Mr Geoff Dixon, said while Qantas did not expect any significant issues as a result of the proposed overtime bans commencing tomorrow, there would be delays as a result of Friday's action between 2pm and 6pm.

"To address this, we have cancelled a limited number of domestic services during that period. We have begun contacting affected customers and re-booking them on other services and everything will be done to get them to their destination as quickly as possible."

Mr Dixon said the ALAEA was, as it always did when in dispute with the airline, raising questions about safety.

"Of course, it is no coincidence that when the union is on a crusade for more money it decides to play the 'safety card'," he said.

"Safety is our top priority - we never have and never will compromise this."

Information on schedule changes will be available on qantas.com.

Issued by Qantas Corporate Communication (3759)
Email: qantasmedia@qantas.com.au
http://www.qantas.com.au/regions/dyn...008/may08/3759
Old 14th May 2008, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Argy View Post
Who best to pilot Qantas through headwinds?
10 May 2008 | The Australian Financial Review | Katrina Nicholas SINGAPORE

For those that haven't seen the report, it suggests that the three top contenders to succeed Geoff Dixon when he retires (probably in August) are internal candidates Peter Gregg, John Borghetti and Alan Joyce.

Any comments?
James Hogan and Rod Eddington - two names that I think have what it takes for the role!
Old 15th May 2008, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Argy View Post
Who best to pilot Qantas through headwinds?
10 May 2008 | The Australian Financial Review | Katrina Nicholas SINGAPORE

For those that haven't seen the report, it suggests that the three top contenders to succeed Geoff Dixon when he retires (probably in August) are internal candidates Peter Gregg, John Borghetti and Alan Joyce.

Any comments?
I didn't see the article - can you post it or do you have a link Philip?