Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 22nd June 2009, 09:48 PM

http://www.qantas.com.au/regions/dyn...009/jun09/3933

Quote:
"The aircraft most likely encountered what is known as convective turbulence, which led to it rapidly gaining around 800 feet in altitude before returning to its cruising altitude of 38,000 feet.

"This convective turbulence is not normally visible to weather radar. At top of descent into Perth, the Captain explained this to passengers and also referred to the radar being designed to detect moisture but not ice crystals.
Old 22nd June 2009, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty H View Post
Simply when seated keep your seat belt on.
The woman was outside the toilet in the exit row, seat belts off, and got bounced head to floor.

I agree always on, but how many times have you been standing without a seatbelt?

**** happens, but you won't find me on an Airbus for a while, never liked them before all this started, just didn't like them.
Old 22nd June 2009, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lohdan View Post
**** happens, but you won't find me on an Airbus for a while, never liked them before all this started, just didn't like them.
I gather you won't fly Qantas either as a result?

How on earth did the fact that this was an Airbus aircraft have any bearing on what happened? It was turblence, there seems to be no argument about that and this could have happened to ANY aircraft or any airline for that matter.

Now if you were talking about the two issues near Perth in recent years then maybe, just maybe I could understand the comment, but not this one.
Old 23rd June 2009, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lohdan View Post
The woman was outside the toilet in the exit row, seat belts off, and got bounced head to floor.

I agree always on, but how many times have you been standing without a seatbelt?

So what are you going to do next time a Boeing falls out from under you due turbulence? Walk or sail.
Old 23rd June 2009, 08:00 AM
Prolific Member

Fly vodka burning Antonov, da?
Old 23rd June 2009, 09:03 AM

Tom Lohdan said quote : **** happens, but you won't find me on an Airbus for a while, never liked them before all this started, just didn't like them.

I take it you don't know a lot about aviation then , so you think that if you were on a 777-200 for example , , on the same flight path and alt. then there would have been no turbulence , you can get turbulence on any flight , regardless of aircraft manufacturer!
Old 23rd June 2009, 09:36 AM

It was a meteorological event, nothing to do with Airbus or any other aircraft type
Old 23rd June 2009, 09:54 AM

Default You can't stay buckled in a seat for 8 hours!

Most people will go to the toilet a few times in an 8 hour flight, and many will stretch their legs with a walk up and down the aisle every few hours too. If the Fasten Seatbelt sign is not illuminated this is fine. It is just very unlucky to get clear air turbulence when you're not buckled up in your seat. That's why the recommended approach is to keep your seat belt fastened whenever you're not moving around the cabin.

This incident has nothing to do with the aircraft, its manufacturer or the airline, unlike other recent incidents where some correlation may be meaningful.
Old 23rd June 2009, 01:01 PM

I agree, the incident has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that it was an Airbus, and quite frankly i'm getting a little sick of hearing on the media about how bad the Airbus A330 is and that it is not safe. i am taking into account what has just happened with AF and of course last year with Qantas, but the fact is that if the Aircraft was not safe then the airlines would ground them, i mean there are hundreds of these aircraft flying around the world everyday and how often do you hear about them dropping out of the sky. Don't get me wrong i'm not saying that everything on the A330 is perfect because recent events such as AF and Qantas last year have proved that there may be something not quite right, but the majority of the A330's around the world are safe.
Old 23rd June 2009, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post

You should do some flying out of Japan - then you will get to experience some 'turbulence' and I can assure you my friend, nature does not discriminate against manufacturers...
Back in the late 60's a BOAC Boeing 707 broke up in severe turbulence near Mt Fuji