Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 23rd March 2009, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah C View Post
To be fair to Ash, even on the JQ website they have the -800 :

http://www.jetstar.com/au/en/about-us/our-fleet.aspx
That's a fair answer. I was just wondering, not having a go or anything.
Old 23rd March 2009, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike W View Post
What's with the "800" thing Ash? We`all know (and what the manufacturer calls it) the actual Aircraft is called the 787-8!
Brain fart! I was thinking of the A380-800 I will be flying on next week!
Old 23rd March 2009, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash W View Post
Brain fart! I was thinking of the A380-800 I will be flying on next week!
Old 23rd March 2009, 08:44 PM

Again deleting my post... this discussion has nothing to do with the topic.
Old 23rd March 2009, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash W View Post
Qantas have already made the decision that it was too expensive to modify the floors of their first A330-200's to accept Skybed, hence why they ordered new build aircraft for this purpose and sent their older ones to Jetstar. I beleive they also need galley mods to bring them up to international spec too.
LOL This floor upgrade cost always gets the blame for QF not using the old domestic A332s for the international config. It is true it would cost a couple of $$s to strengthen the business class floor (but has been done before, most of QF 744s floor was upgraded to handle the in seat IFE system and Skybed). What is not clearly mentioned is that the entire cabin would have to be gutted to bring it to Int spec (larger capacity fully chilled galleys, a full inseat IFE system, more lavs, etc) then there is the need for higher aircraft spec (MTOW and engine thrust). This all equals very large $$s. Again it has been done, recall that QF brought the initial A333s as domestic configs and then stripped them to an empty shell to install a completely new Int config.

On the origional topic, I thought the plan long ago was to bring the QF A330 maintenance to BNE?? Thats why awhile back they built new hangers up there and QDS is contracted to do the RAAF A330 MRTT conversion project in BNE as well as provide the through life support for the aircraft. I don't see the boys in the Philippines touching aussie military aircraft any time soon.
Old 15th April 2009, 03:54 AM

Interesting comment made by Alan Joyce in this article:

http://www.crikey.com.au/Business/20...-and-loss.html

Quote:
He said overseas maintenance contracts were not being renewed and the work was being brought back to Australia to conserve cash. His comments will add to the growing view that he takes a much different and more positive view of the worth of non-management staff at Qantas that his predecessor Geoff Dixon, whose allies in the organisation have now largely been culled.
Old 11th May 2009, 10:52 PM

Where abouts does this maintainence take place? All the news channels just said Brisbane so i'm assuming Brisbane Int somewhere? Was it Singapore where it was previously taken place?
In the footage of the hangers, there were two aircraft in there, one fully painted and one in i think primer? What two aircraft are these?

Gerard
Old 11th May 2009, 11:52 PM

At the moment, maintenance of QF's A332/333s are done by Lufthansa Technik in the Philippines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard M View Post
In the footage of the hangers, there were two aircraft in there, one fully painted and one in i think primer? What two aircraft are these?
Those 2 aircraft ought to be RAAF's KC-30As.
Old 11th May 2009, 11:58 PM

Cheers Nick couldn't remember which country.
Well maybe the one in primmer was the Raaf KC-30 and the other was a 767 undergoing maintenance? Because one defiantly had Qantas Painted all over it
Old 12th May 2009, 07:39 AM
Prolific Member

tHERE is only 1 KC-30 in BNE currently and it is not in the 767 hangar.It is in the old Ansett Hangar which is the one with the red doors.

The huge 767 hangar which can take 3 side by side currently has only 767's inside.

Cheers Lloyd