Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 22nd April 2009, 02:00 PM

Damian,

you are correct. The "Sun Goddess" was in Ansett livery. There was a second smaller launch in the livery as well back when I went there in 1998. Boarding passes were issued to you when you checked out, and Hayman visitors had access to the upstairs lounge at HTI.

I've also earned QFF points when I returned in 2002, and also on a launch from HTI to Daydream island and a separate trip. From memory QF also codeshared on the launches to South Molle, Shute Harbour, and one of the islands south of Hamilton whose name has slipped my memory.

Air Whitsunday provided seaplane charter flights to HIS from a number of different locations, and also trips to the outer reef. I've logged a return flight from HIS to Hardy Reef on VH-PGA
Miles: 651,193; Hours: 1,484:43; Flights: 526; Routes; 218; Airports: 101; Airlines: 47; Countries:27
Old 24th April 2009, 12:36 PM

Damian and Craig are both on the money. The first of the 1990s Hayman launch fleet was 'Sun Goddess' (which wore both the old and new Ansett liveries, respectively). She was later joined by 'Sun Paradise' (new AN livery), and - in the very late nineties - the smaller catamaran 'Sun Eagle'. Sun Goddess was on the market for some time during the late nineties, but I seem to recall that it didn't sell, so they retained it for a while longer. I'm not sure what's currently in their fleet. As an aside, I got to know the Hayman harbourmaster (of many years' service), the result being that I logged quite a few helm hours (including quite a few HTI berthings) on Paradise and Goddess, but was never offered the helm of the flashier Sun Eagle

Ahh the memories!
Old 24th April 2009, 01:52 PM

Will

Hayman website still lists the same fleet names, but whther it's the same fleet is another issue!

Kent
Old 24th April 2009, 08:55 PM

Anyone got any pics of the boats in the AN livery?
Old 24th April 2009, 09:24 PM

Unfortunately not - I set up the QF check in system up there (piggy backing on the thru the AN system) and got to go to HIS on a number of occasions thru work.

Damn shame I never got to enjoy the place - but that launch trip was something else.

Do they still play that Enya song Orinoco Flow when departing HTI?
Old 6th May 2009, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent Broadhead View Post
Will

Hayman website still lists the same fleet names, but whther it's the same fleet is another issue!

Kent
They smaller Sun Boats (Goddess and Paradise) are the originals. Dunno if Eagle is original because it was described above as "small catamaran". Eagle is definately not small and is the largest in the fleet. (Goddess is smallest in the fleet).

I cant believe that Jetstar charge $185 for a "Flex" fare when the actual cost of the transfer is $155. Most travel agents i deal with wont book that service with jetstar because they want the comission $$$.

I don't often see people booking it though, I have never come across one yet (and i probably book hayman 2 to 3 times a week).

Favourite of the boats has to be Eagle, so huge! But the Girls at my work love Paradise because of the Spa on the front (I have been on all 3 boats recently).