Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 9th May 2009, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick F View Post
Sorry Matt, but as far as I'm aware, that is an ICAO phrase. I've heard it used at every controlled airport I've travelled into.

Mick
Fair enough mate.

All im saying is that for what a chinese or american pilot is used to- this isnt a standard phrase as such imho- could be wrong

It is absolutely fine because it is concise and clear and thus is absolutely permissable.

Today Tonight though seem to be able to go to any means to be able to make up a provocative or sensationalist story
Old 9th May 2009, 04:34 PM

Does the phase 'line up and wait' used in Europe as well? If my memory serves me right, I once heard HKG ATC and they used 'line up and wait' as well. US uses the phase 'position and hold' instead.
Old 9th May 2009, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_L View Post
Fair enough mate.

All im saying is that for what a chinese or american pilot is used to- this isnt a standard phrase as such imho- could be wrong

It is absolutely fine because it is concise and clear and thus is absolutely permissable.

Today Tonight though seem to be able to go to any means to be able to make up a provocative or sensationalist story
Of course!! Don't let facts get in the way of a good story. TT has a certain audience and they reel them in hook. line and sinker.

As we all know here, anybody with an average IQ treats the show with the respect it deserves, none. Can't say I've ever watched the show.
Old 9th May 2009, 05:16 PM

Matt L,

As a matter of fact it is a conditional clearance and the correct phraseology is:

"Singapore 220 Behind the A340 on short final line up runway 34 Left behind"

to which the pilot responds:

"Behind the A340 lining up runway 34 Left Singapore 220"

Quoted from AIP Gen 3.4 - 14 para 4.5.1 for your viewing pleasures.
Old 9th May 2009, 08:44 PM

Chris B, thats what the AIP says, but does the Australia AIP conform to ICAO?

Thats the next question

It may well do in this case, but many countries have a slight variation on the theme, which usually doesn't cause too many problems.

One of the ones that did, for a while, was the phrase "taxi to holding position", meaning taxi to the holding point, and hold short of the runway. This was ICAO, however the US continue to use "position and hold" which means "line up".

So we had an ICAO, and a US, phrase that sounded very similar but had very different meanings. That one was corrected by the use of taxi to holding point xxx.

Another example of an ATC instruction which is valid, but can be confusing, is the use of place names. For example, ATC could instruct an aircraft enroute to "Track direct to Alice", or "Direct to Scone", which is easy for a local to understand, but can be confusing for the poor international pilot. The US is probably the worst for it, telling you to track direct to "the Brickyard"... and unless you have a pretty good idea where you are going, and what they have said, you're left stumped! A good ATC (of which the majority are) will just tell the guy to track to the 3 letter designator, but some will insist on continuing with the place name, which is an example of where the pilot will be blamed for his poor english, but the controler could avert the whole thing.
Old 9th May 2009, 09:07 PM

I know in my part of the world Owen, the controller's will often state the place name followed by the designator code, for international aircraft. So doesn't create any problems.

Mick
Old 9th May 2009, 09:09 PM

Yeah I often hear the controllers of Brisbane Centre for international flights.
Old 9th May 2009, 09:25 PM

Yes Mick, a lot of controllers will, and its great to see. Every now and again you get one that doesn't, and that was all I was trying to demonstrate... that communication errors aren't just always because the pilot doesn't speak english, its that language isn't used that would enable them to understand
Old 9th May 2009, 09:58 PM

Ha, yeah, dead right. After all, most international pilots would scratch their head's when you say "Track direct to Kowanyama". . "Where and who the hell is Kowanyama?".

Mick
Old 9th May 2009, 10:18 PM

Absolutely!

It took me about 5 minutes in the US, after being told to "Track Direct to the Brickyard", to work out that its identifier is VHP!

Maybe if I was a car fanatic I'd have had more chance!