Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Spotting and Movements > Spotting and Movements

Old 9th July 2012, 10:42 PM

No Micheil, not at all and I don't mean to offend and I apologise to anyone who feels that way. Unfortunately, it's the people who flaunt the rules and disobey signs who make it difficult for the vast majority of us.

The reference to Long Bay was somewhat tongue in cheek as I doubt that anyone would end up in the clink for trespassing.

I worked over many years to further the interests of spotters in Perth. But unfortunately, I have had personal experience of the damage miscreants can do which ruins the hobby for others. There are Perth based members of this Board who can confirm the work that myself and others of the then AEGWA executive did in Perth over 10 years ago, and others before us, with airport authorities to ensure that enthusiasts were understood and given reasonable access to pursue their hobby.

We worked with the authorities who issued us with ID cards, gave us frequent airside access and members of our group followed a Code of Conduct and we acted as a rudimentary "Airport Watch" and were given a number to call to report any suspicious activities.

And a couple of years ago when the the Sydney Airport Watch was first mooted, I had lengthy correspondence with the AFP representative , offering the Perth experience as a model. I still have that correspondence on file as well as my last ID card from WAC in Perth.

SACL and others can confirm these statements by reference to WAC or AFP.

Once again, apologies if I offended anyone which was unintentional.

Last edited by Bob C; 9th July 2012 at 11:08 PM. Reason: Spelling error
Old 9th July 2012, 11:06 PM

Further to my previous post, my correspondence with the AFP was dated 30 September 2009.

And I forgot to mention that members of AEGWA were instrumental in initiating discussions with WAC regarding the desirability of a dedicated Viewing Area.

This finally came to fruition in December 2011 after additional input from AEGWA and other interested parties. The Viewing Area has proved extremely popular with spotters and the general public and hopefully may be expanded and additional amenities provided.
Old 10th July 2012, 01:14 AM
Prolific Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny Zheng View Post
Here's my 2 cents. I'm definitely agree with more signage such as no photography around the restricted areas. Coming from Singapore, I have seen may spots closed down by the airport authorities and left with only air shot spots. But I do need clarification on the saying of foreigners are the pure cause of this. I've know local spotters that spot at the radar field and therefore I do not agree on this point.
Benny, I certainly don't think anyone was pointing this issue only at foreign spotters only. I think the reference was made purely as a point to say that unless people are familiar with current local arrangements, then those who don't often spot at Sydney may inadvertently end up at the radar field through word of mouth or out-dated internet references.

If you know who the people are that have been accessing this area, then perhaps a friendly word to them about what is and what is not acceptable in terms of spotting locations would help resolve this issue before the authorities really clamp down on it hard.
As others have alluded to, the relationship between SACL and the spotting community is at a unique stage right now, and it would be in everyone's best interest if this relationship is given the chance to bloom through trust and respect on both sides.

Cheers