Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 14th September 2010, 11:49 AM

Default Ansett Airlines rememberance

Many of you may realise today marks the 9th anniversary of the Ansett collapse.
Cant believe how quickly that time has gone, as an ex Caterer, I sure miss the industry and we wont see another airline quite like Ansett for a very long time,
Great memories and wonderful people. Im hoping some reunions will be planned for next year for the staff. I for one would certainly go along.
Old 14th September 2010, 01:16 PM

^^

NOT taking anything away from what it is that you're saying, but when you say "we wont see another airline quite like Ansett" what do you mean?

What made Ansett, for you, Ansett??

My Flight Diary

My Photos Flickr Images
Old 14th September 2010, 01:40 PM

Its hard to define, here goes, it was like working for a family, most took a lot of pride in what they did to offer exceptional service to the flying public. I was most proud to say I had nearly 16 years with them and found almost all some of the best people you could work with, and I mean that in all sincerity.The food was great, the service was great, the flights mostly on time. Overall a great experience, and would do it all over again today!
Old 14th September 2010, 08:46 PM

Well Said Steve i had 28.5 years and i still miss it.
Old 14th September 2010, 10:46 PM

I still remember my flight on AN887 SYD-HKG on their 744... it was by far the best economy meal I've ever had on any flight even to this day
Old 15th September 2010, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond Rowe View Post
Well Said Steve i had 28.5 years and i still miss it.
Raymond Rowe...... thats one of the biggest employer problems these days....... Employee loyalty....
long time gone are the days where in an employee will serve the amount of time you did with one employer. and we all know...... minimal employer loyalty leads to minimal employee loyalty and sadly, the "current" aviation industry,actually, not only aviation is suffering form this syndrome!
Old 15th September 2010, 04:59 PM

Hi Steve,

I hear you!

Sounds like the Ansett family & feeling was what my mother experienced working with Pan-Am for over 20 years. They treated her (and our family) and everyone else who worked there extremely well - so much love, passion & commitment. Everything you say rings true and I empathise.

Mum was with PA till the last day working at the GSA till the very, very sad end.

There will never be another Ansett or Pan-Am.

I always flew AN and loved them and it pains me to think how quickly the general public forget what they pioneered and achieved. Ansett is very close to my heart & will never be forgotten.

Thanks for your post, lets drink a toast to & celebrate AN today!
Best wishes

Boeing all the way.
Old 15th September 2010, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadia B-J View Post
... was what my mother experienced working with Pan-Am for over 20 years. They treated her (and our family) and everyone else who worked there extremely well - so much love, passion & commitment. Everything you say rings true and I empathise. Mum was with PA till the last day working at the GSA till the very, very sad end.
Nadia,

Where was she based, do you happen to know? Why I ask, is that I know a retired Delta Captain who also worked for PA. He was, in his time, based in Germany at one point...

I know that it was a BIG company, and a long time ago, but what are the chances??

B

My Flight Diary

My Photos Flickr Images
Old 15th September 2010, 09:17 PM

Hey Bernie,

Mum was based in Sydney. She worked at Martin Place office till they sold the Pacific to UA in 1985 , then worked as GSA for Walshes World in Ash St.

She used to do reservations, World Pass, ticketing & refunds etc. I loved it, got all the seat plans & everything.
Lived through and had to deal with Lockerbie disaster (so did I) it was dreadful. She went through the mill poor Mum.

Became a spotter & obsessed about 3 yrs old the rest is history. Used to be able fly to MEL rtn on the SP with Mum while they turned it around... orgasmic I got upgraded to First & Clipper class with Mum (subload of course & bumped off many times!!) @ 12yrs and was allowed in the flight deck. PA crew were tremendous..

We knew some crew & pilots from the states.
Ah the memories!!!

Hope this finds you well.

Cheers

Boeing all the way.
Old 16th September 2010, 01:33 PM

This is a great thread!

AN was very special. Always loved flying them and it did have that 'family' feel.

I remember I was an travel agent back in 1993/94 and AN gave every single agent free tickets on their 'Spaceships' 747-300s to either HKG or KIX.

It is still one of the best flights - the service was outstanding in Economy Class. An AN really set the standard for their First Class with 3 rows and the chefs and food. Just amazing.

I'm glad people are remebering such a legacy airline.

Thanks for sharing.