Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Spotting and Movements > Radar Spotting

Old 3rd January 2009, 04:07 PM

Default AirNav Versus SBS-1E

As an addition to my ham radio room and antenna syatems I'm considering buying an ADS-B decoder that I'd set up to cover the HNL/Hawaii Island area. Given that the house is at the top of a decent sized hilltop I figure it should get pretty good reception/coverage. I know some members have either played with these boxes or have them on line currently so I'm looking for some user based reviews on which is the better box.

Appreciate any help

Aloha from the Hawaiian Islands

MS
Old 3rd January 2009, 08:40 PM

Another option is Flight Explorer. It uses data from US, Canada, and NZ ATC systems. All data except NZ is delayed about five minutes due to US security paranoia. NZ is real time.

I'm using the Pilot Edition which is $15 a month, the lesser featured Personal Edition is $10.

I've used it on occasion to track you flying across the Pacific!!
Old 3rd January 2009, 08:46 PM

Hey Mike

Mate i own and love the SBS-1e by Kinetic easy to use, lightweight and portable for travel use. but i believe is a much more powerful device compared to the airnav i have not used it but i have read the aerial does not pick up as much as the standard one that comes with the SBS.

Software with the SBS is very light on memory so you do not have to worry about the program.

I hope this helps. please don't be afraid to email me mattcoughran@gmail.com if you would like screenshots or photos of the device im more then happy to provide.

Cheers Matt
Old 5th January 2009, 04:15 AM

David, does FE allow you to make the content available via the internet ?? I'm wanting to have the output generally available via one of the groups hosting these boxes in various locations. Matt, I will be in touch by email with some additional queries...thanks.

Regards

MS
Old 5th January 2009, 06:24 AM

FE is internet based but you have to pay the $$ to access it. I should add that the prices I quoted allow up to ten hours access per month. After that it's $1.00 per hour up to 50 hours which is the maximum you can use. Above that you need one of the pro editions.

I use it a lot but rarely go over the ten hours.
Old 5th January 2009, 08:47 AM

I'm not wanting it for my use (last thing I want when I'm not working) but rather to be able to post the live (slightly delayed) output on a group website where there are other boxes operating covering different areas in the world. There used to be one covering Sydney for example where you could see what A/C were in the coverage area along with the associated flight data provided.

MS
Old 5th January 2009, 03:07 PM

In that case, because of the nature of it, I don't think FE is going to work for you.
Old 5th January 2009, 11:45 PM

Hi all,

I'm currentlly trialling FE Pro for work, which tracks EVERYTHING (Aus atleast).
But the price is a bit more than the Personal and Pilot versions.
Couple of hundred dollars per month per login, and is airline based.

Not sure if the general public can purchase it or not.

It's awesome. Check out some of my time lapse videos I made using it.
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=acgIDn...e=channel_page
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=fe9ucW...e=channel_page

Its really a excellent program.

Numloxx's Flightlog
jetphotos.net
Old 8th January 2009, 12:04 PM

Prime use will be for interested parties on internet via website that has multiple areas covered. Kinda like the remote radio web sites that people can tune remotely.

MS
Old 11th January 2009, 11:17 PM

Mike - Get hold of a SBS. There are now a few hundred users now sharing their data on the net via a associated application call PlanePlotter. The data shared is realtime, not delayed, your setup will send a small packet of data every 60 seconds up to the Europe based server for users to access. The bandwidth used each month is relatively low, it wont upset any of your other online activities.

Have a look at this thread which discusses the system:

http://yssyforum.net/board/showthread.php?t=1203

There is continuous coverage for most of the major cities in Australia, and the airways in South Eastern Australia are fully covered.

Western Europe and Scandinavia have blanket coverage as does Florida, the Pacific North-West and parts of California.

Unlike AirNav there is no subscription fee for access or serving, and the "radar" is not delayed.

There is a bit more info here at my website:

http://www.satdirectory.com/--atcviasat.html

Cheers,
Mark F (Sharing data to the system from near YSRI 27x7 as user "By")

Last edited by Mark Fahey; 11th January 2009 at 11:24 PM.