Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Spotting and Movements > Spotting and Movements
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 6th July 2012, 04:04 PM

Well said Nathan. It would be nice.
Old 6th July 2012, 06:05 PM

Let's not beat around the bush.

I've seen what happens at other airports when the actions of a few irresponsible spotters can ruin the hobby for many others and destroy strong relationships built up over years with airport authorities.

Firm action needs to be taken and SACL should issue an immediate formal warning on this board that the radar field is a "no go" area. Multi lingual "No Trespassing" signage should also be erected without delay.

Don't give miscreants any other warning - if anyone is found in the radar field, hit them with a hefty fine and impound their camera gear. That would soon stop trespassing.
Old 6th July 2012, 09:05 PM

Plane spotters are to be reminded about their conduct when taking photos on Qantas Drive. The radar field is off limits.

Climbing fences and signage is not permitted for safety and security reasons.

If you see someone acting suspiciously in this area where they should not be please contact SACL Security Operations immediately on 02 9667 9673 or the Australian Federal Police on 131 AFP.
Old 7th July 2012, 09:01 AM
Prolific Member

The signage on the way to the off-limits radar field is quite clear. There are no excuses.

When first turning off Foreshore Rd...

And if the first sign isn't enough, there are then 2 of these signs. Spotters are not authorised persons.
Old 7th July 2012, 03:02 PM

Well done SACL and thanks Nigel.

Can't be any clearer than that.
Old 9th July 2012, 01:17 PM

I seem to recall that it was also possible to enter the Radar Field by "risking life and limb" and running across Southern Cross Drive near the Control Tower. This is another place where our overseas visitors may think it is OK to enter Radar Field and not sure if there are signs or fences at this location?

Cheers
M
Old 9th July 2012, 06:56 PM

Maybe some time in Long Bay with a few Kings Cross "identities" will make overseas visitors and others realise that it is not ok to enter the radar field.
Old 9th July 2012, 08:55 PM

Bob C are you trying to single handledly undo all the hard work put in by Members on and off this message board to make us not appear as criminals?

All this talk of sending people to Long Bay and confiscating camera gear seems a bit harsh. I don't understand why when we all have the same hobby people go out of their way to make it difficult for others.

Both Nigel and SACL have made it quite clear in this post that this location is off limits to photographers. Many overseas spotters would come here as their first point of research and I don't believe that this spot is listed on any of the Sydney Spotting guides.

Perhaps the Moderators could lock this thread now it has all been cleared up.
Old 9th July 2012, 08:58 PM

Well said, Couldn't agree more Micheil.
Old 9th July 2012, 10:39 PM

Here's my 2 cents. I'm definitely agree with more signage such as no photography around the restricted areas. Coming from Singapore, I have seen may spots closed down by the airport authorities and left with only air shot spots. But I do need clarification on the saying of foreigners are the pure cause of this. I've know local spotters that spot at the radar field and therefore I do not agree on this point.