Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry

Old 14th April 2011, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarden S View Post
Qantas are getting 3 more 717s, just been announced on airliners.net this will take the total to 16 of the type.
Where has it been announced? Qantas have only announced the two to be leased for Cobham back in February.

Qantas Group to Boost Aircraft Fleet
Old 14th April 2011, 08:40 PM

Guys,

It's 2 extra 717s not 3.

Thanks
Old 14th April 2011, 08:40 PM

It was only on airliners.net today. No official announcement from QF
Old 14th April 2011, 09:19 PM

I think what you saw was someone thinking the 2x additional 717s were new when in fact they were announced in Feb.

Can anyone confirm further 717s, beyond the 2x announced in Feb, are heading to Qantas?
Old 14th April 2011, 10:33 PM

The mention of new frames to Cobham (erroneously stated as three) on airliners.net was used to back up a point that Qantas is unlikely to cease its relationship with Cobham, which was being discussed, given that new frames are coming their way.

Hence the danger in using posts on airliners.net out of context (or at least reading them out of context) and representing them as 'announcements'.

Qantas has only ever announced the two frames, as mentioned in the press release I posted above. There are no rumours, let alone announcements, of any more frames.
Old 16th April 2011, 01:48 PM

EOI have been put to Eastern Pilots about a PER base in the Q400, for 2-3 aircraft.

Aircraft would be rotated ADL-KGI-PER (Ferry most likely) for maintenance.

2-3 aircraft only really allows 1-2 routes max with an op spare.

Given that only 6 more Q400's are due to be delivered with at least 1 of those most likely heading to QLD, it seems like a bit of a gamble.

Mind you QLink still hold loads of options for the Q400.
Old 16th April 2011, 03:13 PM

By maintenance, I mean heavy work done on the East coast. Everything else I'm sure they'd just sub out.

There's no talk of $$$ at the moment. The sticking point will be moving allowances. There's a few pilots in QLD very unhappy that Sunstate weren't asked about the EOI. There's more than enough Bris-based who would move home in a flash!
Old 16th April 2011, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Qantas is very happy with the relationship they have with COBHAM and it's very unique in the world.
Although I agree that Qantas will keep Cobham, how is their relationship unique?
Old 18th April 2011, 07:05 AM

Fair enough. I thought you were referring to long term wetleases in general. This are completely commonplace throughout the world. Even wetleases where the carrier taking out the wetlease actual leases the aircraft to the operating airline.

Cobham isn't going anywhere, IMHO. Qantas had the chance to keep 717 operations in house back in 2004. Jetstar and Cobham bid for the QantasLink 717 flying. I thought Jetstar was a shoe-in (Jetstar even put out EOI to crew for CNS and PER Link bases). There must have been a vested interest to switch the new type over to Cobham.
Old 9th June 2011, 07:50 AM

Confirmed as 2 x Q400's starting in OCT, possibility of more in the future.

Routes to be announced closer to the date.