Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 29th June 2009, 09:14 PM

Default Cathay Pacific product

I grabbed a $1370 return airfare to Paris in November Flying out on the morning A330 flight (CX110) and flying on to Paris on the 11.45pm service out of HKG (CX261) which is listed as a 747. My query covers 2 areas:-
* do most of the flights now have the new seating or is there a mix of old and new? I last flew CX in '97 and all the flights I had were on the then old product despite advertising the new one from at least the year before (I know it takes a lot of time to refurbish a whole fleet);

* we have 8 hours 55min between flights on the outward journey. Are you able to get a day visa and go sightseeing in the surrounding areas? I heard about a big buddha that was worth seeing. Is getting into HK proper feasible as I would like to take my sister up in the cable car to see the view from the Peak. If there are day visas, are they issued on the spot at immigration at HKG or do you have to pre arrange them?

Thanking you
Old 29th June 2009, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Crook View Post
If there are day visas, are they issued on the spot at immigration at HKG or do you have to pre arrange them?
If you have an Australian passport, you don't need a visa for a stay up to 90 days.
Old 30th June 2009, 12:07 AM

Quote:
* we have 8 hours 55min between flights on the outward journey. Are you able to get a day visa and go sightseeing in the surrounding areas? I heard about a big buddha that was worth seeing. Is getting into HK proper feasible as I would like to take my sister up in the cable car to see the view from the Peak. If there are day visas, are they issued on the spot at immigration at HKG or do you have to pre arrange them?
Always refer to Smartraveller and the HK Immigration Department for the latest, but Australian tourists are normally granted a 90 day entry on arrival in HK.

http://www.smartraveller.gov.au/zw-c...vice/Hong_Kong
http://www.immd.gov.hk/ehtml/hkvisas_4.htm

The Tian Tan Buddha has the advantage of being on Lantau, the island the airport is adjacent to. There is a cable car called the Ngong Ping 360 which operates from Tung Chung, which is a suburban commerical centre just outside the airport. On their website, they suggest just getting a cab over if coming from the airport.

http://www.np360.com.hk/html/eng/visitor/gethere.html

I would say it's probably better suited to shorter transits unless you're keen, because if you do it you'll have plenty of time left over, but not enough to do anything useful with (other than plane spotting, obviously)

Normally when I'm in HK I use the Airport Express buses because they're so damn cheap, go in all directions from the airport and offer a scenic view from the upper deck, but by using the Airport Express train, I would say you should have time to go into HK Island and up to The Peak.

According to the MTR website, a same day return into HK is HK$100. Trains take 24 minutes and depart every 12 minutes. The Peak Tram terminus is item 10 on the map (PDF link below):

http://www.mtr.com.hk/eng/airport_express/tf_index.html
http://www.mtr.com.hk/jplanner/images/maps/hok.pdf
Old 30th June 2009, 12:52 AM

It is quite funny as I just asked a similar question (on products) about Cathay Pacific in the international section.

Now speaking of visa's OneWorld has a good visa web page. I guess like everything you should only use it as a guide and double check with the authorities what the propper visa rules are but it is helpful none the less.

http://www.oneworld.com/ow/airports-...th-information
Old 30th June 2009, 06:16 AM

Yes all CX flights use the A330 on the SYD run with the new wishbone business class seating (lie flat), which means economy have the hard back seats.

In fact most are now version 2 models which have the in-flight magazines etc in the seat pocket in front and not underneath the seat in the version 1 model seats + other minor updates.

Banjo
Old 30th June 2009, 01:19 PM

Quote:
If there are day visas, are they issued on the spot at immigration at HKG or do you have to pre arrange them?
Steve,

I've done day visits to HK on a number of occassions. My shortest has been 52 minutes (I missed the direct ferry from Macau to the airport, so went into HK Island and caught the Airport Express).

Generally with Australian passports there are no issues. It is quite common for business people to go for the day to attend meetings, so HK immigration are used to it.

9 hours is more than enough time to: catch the airport express to Central, visit the Peak on the tram, catch a bus back down the hill to Admiralty, catch a double decker tram to the Star ferry, go across to Kowloon to take some photos, do some shopping, grab a meal and then head over to Kowloon station to catch the express back. Pick up an Octopus Card each at the airport to facilitate the public transport, and you will be set to go.
Miles: 651,193; Hours: 1,484:43; Flights: 526; Routes; 218; Airports: 101; Airlines: 47; Countries:27
Old 30th June 2009, 06:46 PM

MANY thanks for all that great advice everyone!!! I very much appreciate it. I can hear my sister squealing with excitement when I tell her.