Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Spotting and Movements > Spotting and Movements
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 15th March 2010, 03:14 PM

Default Ladders at the beach

Hi all

Have the day off work tomorrow, and was thinking of reacquainting myself with my aviation interest and head out for some spotting and photography at the airport tomorrow. It's been a long time since I've done so, and the scene has changed alot since!

I assume I'll work my way around between spots as the light changes, starting at the mound, foreshore road, Krispy Kreme donuts, Qantas drive, then settle at the beach for the rest of the afternoon, depending on where the planes are departing/arriving on.

My main query, it is still ok to bring a ladder to the beach spot along the fence, and prop it there? I've been hearing stories about security ushering people along or at least asking them to move it a few metres behind the fence. I mainly ask to decide whether I drag it along tomorrow or not. Many years ago, I managed alright with two milk crates :P

Hope the weather is as good tomorrow as it is today. Hoping to add to the collection some photos of SAABs, Jetstreams, Tiger Airways Airbuses, Jungle Jets, the odd QF A380 and anything else abit exotic to add to the albums

Many thanks for the advice, and if anyone's about tomorrow, I'm an asian bloke and wearing my #3 Red Spot NYC Subway shirt, by all means say hi!
Old 15th March 2010, 03:40 PM
Prolific Member

It might be a good idea to keep it 3 metres back from the fence...
Old 15th March 2010, 03:41 PM

Others on the forum may correct me but I understand you CANNOT lean the ladder up against the fence under ANY circumstances. You must be several metres off the fenceline. I would also not suggest you sit on top of the ladder all the time, just get up, take the shot, then hop down again.
Old 15th March 2010, 05:31 PM
Prolific Member

Your understanding is correct Adrian.
Old 15th March 2010, 09:27 PM

I've been out there on numerous occasions and asides from the occasional stop and look by Security to see if I was outside the 3 metres imaginary boundary, all was good. AFP may come down to check you out but again if you stay out of the 3m zone. They will quite happily have a chat and basically leave you alone.

Have a good time down there tommorrow and I'm sure you'll get some nice photos!

Last edited by Lee G; 15th March 2010 at 09:27 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 15th March 2010, 09:49 PM

Gentlemen

Many thanks for the advice provided, and by the looks of the weather forecast, it's going to be a good day!

If I could ask a few more frivolous questions, would I expect to see many A380s during the day, with QF, SQ or Emirates? It's not on my high list of fish to catch, though I've only seen an SQ380 in the flesh, and the QF one briefly flying over Sydney Harbour on Australia Day, wouldn't mind seeing the others tomorrow.

Thanks again!
Old 15th March 2010, 11:09 PM

Suggest you be out at the fence around 1130 onwards. Scheduled 380 departures are 1410,1640 and 1740, plus you may be lucky in that there is a positioning flight arriving at 1155 which may also be a 380 from Melbourne. There is also another positioning flight arriving at 1300 from Melbourne - not sure about this one.

The Last two flights mentioned were from the SACL website.
Old 21st March 2010, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris d View Post
I was trying that the other day with a 200-400mm F/4.0 AF-S VR Nikkor lens on a big Nikon camera body.

and just about near pitching me off the ladder.
This was taken with a D200 and 200-400 Nikon from the top of a 1.8 mtr ladder on a calm day, so I had no problem with wind. It can be done.

Steve
Old 21st March 2010, 09:42 PM

Dude, that picture is absolutely stunning! Good work, and thanks for sharing it with us
Old 21st March 2010, 09:44 PM

Chris, that is an amazing shot!

Beautiful work.

I went to the Observation Deck one night to try out some night shooting, but only had luck with stationary stuff with a Tripod, I would love to get a shot like that one you posted.

Jeff.