Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Technical > Flying and Technical Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 30th October 2008, 09:24 AM

Default Buying a new digital camera

The current Dick Smith catalogue has a special offer of a Cannon EOS 1000D Digital camera for $958.

It comes with a 18-55 mm lens and a 75-300 telephoto lens is included in the price.

There is a bonus Canon Camera bag worth $100 also included.

I would appreciate any comment about this offer..

I have a smaller Canon Powershot camera which has taken many thousands of shots and serves me well, I believe the brand to be good quality

Now I am making a stepup to telephoto capability

Last edited by Robert Zweck; 30th October 2008 at 02:07 PM.
Old 30th October 2008, 09:44 AM

Both my son and I have the Canon EOS 350D with the twin lens kit. We paid around $1400 when they were new. I have nothing but praise for the Canon camera but wish I could afford an IS lens. Unless you have a very steady hand, you'll find the telephoto lens will move around a bit on full extension. I find myself having to brace my 'lens hand' and hold my breath while taking photos to avoid movement of the lens.
Old 30th October 2008, 10:55 AM

Greg,

Thanks for the comment, this is the type of feedback I am looking for
Old 30th October 2008, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg McDonald View Post
I have nothing but praise for the Canon camera but wish I could afford an IS lens. Unless you have a very steady hand, you'll find the telephoto lens will move around a bit on full extension. I find myself having to brace my 'lens hand' and hold my breath while taking photos to avoid movement of the lens.

That's exactly the reason why I didn't go for a Canon or Nikon DSLR when I made my purchase about a month ago. I opted for the Sony Alpha A300 since it has in-built shake reduction, so you don't need to spend an extra $1000 just to buy an IS lense which has shake reduction built into the lens.
This feature in the Sony's allow you to use a 300mm telephoto lens with no blur-issues at all.
Couple with this the tiltable LCD screen (which at first I really wasn't a factor in my purchase decision because I wasn't fussed about fancy little features like this)..but after getting out there and using the camera, the tilt-screen really is a useful feature!

The Canon 1000D is an excellent camera just as all Canon's are, but when you're looking to get an entry-level DSLR and you haven't got a lot of money to buy fancy lenses and other equipment, my recommendation would be the Sony Alpha. A lot of people argue that Sony has a limited lens range, but if you're really really looking to go pro' and have a bag-full of lenses, then Sony still has a wide range. For entry level my choice was pretty clear.

Sony A300 with twin lens kit (18-70mm & 75-300mm): $999.00
http://www.sony.com.au/dis/catalog/p...egoryId=34306#
Old 30th October 2008, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Zweck View Post
The current Dick Smith catalogue has a special offer of a Cannon EOS 1000D Digital camera for $958.

It comes with a 128-88 mm lens and a 75-300 telephoto lens is included in the price.

There is a bonus Canon Camera bag worth $100 also included.

I would appreciate any comment about this offer..
Hi Robert
the EOS 1000D seems perfectly good as a SLR entry.
The 75-300 I had and was happy with for long while, but then upgraded it to the 70-300 IS (Imaged Stabilised) That's pretty handy on the long lens as with the 'crop factor' of the body you're effectively shooting at 480mm, that's pretty long to hand hold.
For comparison shots:
75-300 (Mark I mind you :-) )
70-300 IS

The shorter lens according to Tricky Dicky's web site is the 18-55 lens, see here here for shots with that lens (again the Mk I version). It's OK too but not great glass.

But for a starter pack at that price it seems pretty good. Have you checked http://www.d-d-photographics.com/canoneos1000d.htm for prices, his combo includes the IS short lens, I assume that would be better glass than the one from DSE but don't have any experience with it. Then you're up for more money for the long lens as well of course.
Old 30th October 2008, 01:51 PM
Prolific Member

Hi Robert,

We use the 400D at work with the twin lens kit, and here is a sample of what the 75-300 can do. Although not as razor sharp as an L-series lens, as you can see it's still quite reasonable at full length and hand held.

The bird is an Australian Hobby.

Old 30th October 2008, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel C View Post
Hi Robert,

We use the 400D at work with the twin lens kit, and here is a sample of what the 75-300 can do. Although not as razor sharp as an L-series lens, as you can see it's still quite reasonable at full length and hand held.

The bird is an Australian Hobby.

Shortly afterwards, he shot it with something else...
Old 30th October 2008, 04:37 PM

Thats very impressive Nigel, thanks for posting.

I myself bought a 350D from a forum member back in April.

I only have the 18-55mm stock lens now, but on my shopping list sometime in the next 10 months is a nice L series (70-200 IS possibly) lens to go with it.

An 18-55 really limits what i can do, plus at the F1 in '09 i will be desperate to have something good to take pictures with (I must look up F1 regulations on personal cameras..)
Old 30th October 2008, 05:12 PM

Default camera

Robert, the lenses that come with the camera are good on days when the weather is sunny especially the 75-300 since it has no IS. Try to keep the shutter speed above 1/500 to minimize shake.

My Stuff on the web
http://www.ryanhothersall.net/
Old 30th October 2008, 05:35 PM

Robert spend the extra money and get the IS lenses. You will not regret it.Also try and go for one of the 40D or the new 50 d much better cameras.