Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 4th August 2008, 03:08 PM

Default AirAsiaX to consider weighing passengers

http://www.news.com.au/travel/story/...014090,00.html

Quote:
AIRASIA X is considering charging passengers depending on their weight in a bid to fight rising fuel prices and to "help Aussies lose weight".

The airline is allegedly considering weighing passengers to calculate the overall weight of the aircraft, said AirAsia X general manager Darren Wright.

After Australia's airlines vowed never to weigh passengers, Mr Wright told travel trade magazine Travel Today that AirAsia X is considering more extreme measures to increase revenue if fuel continues its march to $US200 a barrel.

Although admitting the move would be difficult to implement, Mr Wright said charging larger passengers "could help Aussies lose weight".

Mr Wright said the new weighing system would enable the airline to calculate the remaining weight allowance to be taken up with additional cargo.
I dont quite get what he is on about, but as i understand it they want to calculate the load with base fuel, pax and cargo and then charge overweight pax according to their weight if they need more fuel on board?

They're probably the first airline that fly to oz to seriously consider such a system, will be interesting to see how its received...personally i dont like the idea

I think he is drawing a bit of a long bow saying it will help aussies lose weight though!
Old 4th August 2008, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhys Xanthis View Post
http://www.news.com.au/travel/story/...014090,00.html

I dont quite get what he is on about, but as i understand it they want to calculate the load with base fuel, pax and cargo and then charge overweight pax according to their weight if they need more fuel on board?

They're probably the first airline that fly to oz to seriously consider such a system, will be interesting to see how its received...personally i dont like the idea

I think he is drawing a bit of a long bow saying it will help aussies lose weight though!

hmmmmmmmmmm yes well there goes me traveling around the world if these sort of things are brought into account!

I think I'll see my legal adviser about this

Regards
Brian Wilkes
Old 4th August 2008, 03:33 PM

Its a real incentive to 'loose weight' to pay for a cheaper flight
Old 4th August 2008, 03:52 PM

I think it's fair enough for carriers to charge passengers based on the total payload. Airlines currently work on an average weight per passenger weighing each pax will give an exact figure so they can maximise yields with freight. Maybe if D7 charged a low base fare and then when checking in weigh the passenger hand luggage and checked baggage at the same time using a hidden scale at the check In desk and charge an extra surcharge accordingly. Although I admit It's a bit rich for Mr Wright to state that it will help Aussie's loose weight.

Jason,
Old 4th August 2008, 05:01 PM

I can understand them charging obese passengers, but I'd refuse to fly with them if they charge for someone that's simply large - like me.
I'm nearly two metres tall and about 110kg. That's perfectly normal for someone my size.
Old 4th August 2008, 05:19 PM

I think this was more puffery and joke than anything, so don't get too excited. Nevertheless, I suppose these days you can't discount any idea!
Old 4th August 2008, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill S View Post
I can understand them charging obese passengers, but I'd refuse to fly with them if they charge for someone that's simply large - like me.
I'm nearly two metres tall and about 110kg. That's perfectly normal for someone my size.
Thats where its gonna get pretty hairy for them...everybody has a different physique with heeight vs weight vs muscle mass etc
Old 4th August 2008, 06:47 PM

I am around 193cm and weigh 135kg but I am not obese and fit easily into a regular economy seat. I suppose I'd be up for a few extra bucks under that system.
Old 4th August 2008, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickN View Post
I am around 193cm and weigh 135kg but I am not obese and fit easily into a regular economy seat. I suppose I'd be up for a few extra bucks under that system.
Yeah you would be just about guarenteed too...i doubt we will ever get to the charge situation...you could just imagine the bickering between check-in staff and customers!

Say someone is 100kg and 180cm and considered ok by the airline, but at the same time someone who is 100kg and 170cm is considered not ok...this would be so hard to implement and i doubt many people would be happy at all...i cant see it happening!
Old 5th August 2008, 09:05 AM

Maybe they will install sauna and gym equipment near the check-in counter so anybody wishing to save 50c off their ticket can lose a few last minute pounds. Or maybe they will offer discounted diet pills on-board so passengers can lose a few kegs before making the return flight.