Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 31st March 2008, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montague S View Post
well their business class and premium economy fares are more in line with that of Qantas, so, I'd guess they are targeting the carrier that does the most business on the route...which is the sensible thing to do. this product is not even close to what UA offers on the their 744's, for a start UA don't have PTV in their economy class or economy plus, I could go on but the differences don't really need highlighting.
Thanks monty......
Old 31st March 2008, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montague S View Post
skybed is an embarrassment especially when they had the chance to really attack SQ with a new product for their A380. The real question is this, how long down the track will it be when QF realise their business product is outdated and then launch a costly upgrade process?
Agree again Geez agreeing with you too much lately, must be the new board

But like I hinted at before, what can QF do really ?

Business has to be below First as I mentioned

SQ seem to have done this quite well though so yes they should have followed this path perhaps. But QF know that they are never going to compete with SQ on the USA route

A quick calculation, nearly 1/2 of the 744 fleet is used on the USA route from MEL/SYD/BNE and via AKL. The competition is UA/NZ/VA none of which are serious competitors. As long as QF is slightly above these that is all that matters.

As for the Europe route I don't know enough about that to comment, but who do we have ?
EK - Inconsistant product offering, no loyalty program
BA - Qantas/BA who can tell the difference
VAtlantic - Great product IF you get the reconfigured planes, which I don't think we do down here, but strugging to fill the plane as it is.

So who else does QF really care about to compete with ?
Old 31st March 2008, 02:23 PM

well QF's new offering in first is really equal to that of say SQ's business class in the 380 and 77W, why QF didn't go all out is beyond me? EK will bring their 380 online to Australia from early 2009 and from what I've been hearing it might even surpass SQ in the premium stakes, this will be a one-stop service via DXB on the A380 to LHR.

EK 1&2 will do DXB-LHR daily from late this year or early next year.

just look at the picture comparisons on QF and SQ websites and you can see the premium products are miles apart. why QF persist with Marc Newson is beyond me??

Next Flights:
MEL-HKG-HND-HKG-JFK-HKG-NRT-HKG-MEL/CX
Old 31st March 2008, 02:29 PM

Again the main problem with EK is no loyalty program, the QF FF program while requiring lots of points for anything is linked to AMEX, Hertz etc etc which is great, along with all your domestic flights here.

Again QF really only care about the USA routes, as I said roughly 1/2 of the 744's are on this route at any one time. QF will be equal or better than anyone else flying this route for many many years so no need to go any better

VA will hurt QF a bit as their FF program is quite good and of course you can earn points here on DJ and AMEX are now linked in so it will only improve.

But yes the QF product is nothing special and I never look forward to the Skybed, even with the ticket is free
Old 31st March 2008, 02:55 PM

Qantas is having an amazing "May Sale" ex LA

Round Trip LA-SYD-LA = $US1068.74 including taxes!

Is this right???

http://www.qantas.com.au/regions/dyn/home

Last edited by Lukas M; 31st March 2008 at 03:03 PM.
Old 31st March 2008, 03:05 PM

well that QF sale isn't much chop unless you live in the USA...but it does make you wonder how much we are being raped if they can offer fares that low, seems USA-Australia is a few hundred dollars cheaper year round even with forex rate factored in.

Next Flights:
Old 31st March 2008, 03:13 PM

It is always cheaper to fly from another country TO Australia
Old 31st March 2008, 03:17 PM

I tried landing one of their much publicised specials for BA later this year...much to my disgust it was impossible and around $1000 more than the special advertised! Qantas are now selling their flights online as oneway and you pick the best two prices and it calculates your fare.

Next Flights:
Old 31st March 2008, 07:52 PM

A few $999 return seats left, but not many
There are more outbound seats left, so if you mix a "V Promo", with a "V Deal", it turns out to be $1447, which is still brilliant, anything under $1500 to the states is just amazing

Old 1st April 2008, 03:34 AM

Does anyone know when tickets will go on sale for LAX-SYD return?

Cheers,

Ben