Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 24th August 2012, 12:45 PM

Default What if...........

With Virgin Australia going from strength to strength and QANTAS always in the news for the wrong reasons, I pose this HYPOTHETICAL.

What if John Borghetti had been chosen as the CEO of QANTAS instead of Alan Joyce. What could he have done or be doing to reinvent QANTAS ?
Old 24th August 2012, 01:10 PM

For a start, we may be seeing fuel efficient 777's with kangaroos on their tails flying around to places like SFO and BOM. There'd also be greater engagement with staff and a much happier workforce. But that's just my opinion.
Old 24th August 2012, 02:20 PM

Seems to me it probably wouldn't look very different to the Virgin we're seeing at the moment... his goal with Virgin is to innovate and take the lead in the market which is precisely what Qantas needs.

777s were a great idea for Qantas, possibly a little too late to go there now with the shape things are in. I doubt 777s would've made a difference to the BOM situation though as there was a lot more at play there than the aircraft type.
Old 24th August 2012, 03:53 PM

In relation to Qantas, I have read in a few articles over the last year that A380's aren't paying for themselves for some airlines. (I do not have any links to the articles). Would this be the case at Qantas? And if so, would the case for a 747-8I be more appropriate considering they are smaller and more adaptable to Qantas ultra long haul markets?

Dave
Old 24th August 2012, 04:14 PM

no unions
staff on lower wages
outsourcing increased

just for a starter
Old 24th August 2012, 05:38 PM

Virgin staff do have unions.
Old 24th August 2012, 05:53 PM

My feeling is that it wouldn't make a difference.

Joyce is following the wishes of the Board of Directors.

I think the question should be who is advising the Board??
Old 24th August 2012, 06:06 PM

Agree Adam - the board make the big decisions, the CEO goes along with it. If Borghetti was in charge, he may want to do things differently but the board would have the final say.
Old 24th August 2012, 09:27 PM

The board would be advised by the CEO, CFO & COO who in turn would be advised by the various technical experts within the company. Just because the board has the ultimate legal accountability & authority doesn't mean the CEO isn't running the company. In fact in a well run business that is exactly how it does work.

I'm also curious to know what outsourcing you're referring to in terms of Virgin/Borghetti??
Old 24th August 2012, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan K View Post
For a start, we may be seeing fuel efficient 777's with kangaroos on their tails flying around to places like SFO and BOM. There'd also be greater engagement with staff and a much happier workforce. But that's just my opinion.
Oh you mean like the ones JB ordered for Virgin? Ooops sorry forgot they were ordered by previous management and JB cancelled the remainder of the 777's who then ordered the A330 for Virgin instead.

With the 777 I think many would agree that the models that would have been ideal for Qantas are the ones that have come out in the last few years at which point Qantas had made the decision to go for the 787 and A380. The earlier models didn't suit Qantas's network at the time, hence why they weren't ordered.