Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 17th August 2009, 12:24 PM

Post Hangars

From today's SMH:

Quote:
Lang Walker, the property mogul, has had his plans for a 23-metre-high hangar to house two large corporate jets at Sydney Airport knocked back.
The Federal Government's air traffic controller, Airservices Australia, has ruled that the proposed hangar - about the size of the buildings used by Qantas for maintenance on its passenger jets near the domestic terminal - could interfere with navigation equipment.
Where exactly were the hangars proposed to be built? Surely they would not have been that close to nav aids? I'd have thought there was space in the north east corner near the charter terminals, or perhaps near the pond?

Speaking of hangars, I keep meaning to ask the significance of the numbers on the QF hangars opposite Terminal 3. 131, 271, etc, and 96 adjacent. Are they remnants of old street addresses, or building numbers, or something else?
Old 17th August 2009, 01:16 PM
Prolific Member

This report has already been made here http://yssyforum.net/board/showthread.php?t=1481&page=4

But in answer to your first question, the proposed site was on the southern side of General Holmes Drive pretty much opposite the new control tower.
Access to the corporate hangar was to be via Twy Charlie. This would effectively put it between the VOR/DME and the 34L approach. It would also be directly north of the Terminal Area Radar.
Old 17th August 2009, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel C View Post
... the proposed site was on the southern side of General Holmes Drive pretty much opposite the new control tower
I hadn't realised that - seems an odd choice but I don't know what alternatives were available. Also, 23 metres seems to be higher than the corporate jets require - was there a view to having the hangars utilised for other purposes?
Old 17th August 2009, 01:55 PM
Prolific Member

Not that I'm aware of. Perhaps they wanted office space upstairs?

Further to your first post, there is absolutely no room at the northern pond due to existing demands on that real estate, and there may be other plans for the corporate area long term which aren't conducive to building more hangars there.
Old 17th August 2009, 03:21 PM

Why should any proposal to expand corporate parking at Sydney Airport be granted? The airport is already crammed, with any expansion really needing to be for the air carriers. Qantas Domestic is already overflowing, and it isn't going to get better. Parking is limited already for the internationals, with the bays as well as the QF ramp near the pond often overflowing.

The corporates should be being hangered at a secondary airport, such as Bankstown. They can fly into KSA if they really insist, but they don't need to be parking there.
Old 17th August 2009, 04:04 PM

The only problem with that, Owen, is that the bankstown business thinks it's into industrial and trucking and no longer aviation. The number of light aircraft there has diminished significantly over the past 5 years and the owner would rather have the real estate taken up with profit rich rentals.

....anyway - that's another story....or thread.....

however on the subject of KSA - I do agree that the current space needs to cater for the airlines. If these corporates have so much money, why don't they build their own corporate strip....
Old 17th August 2009, 05:32 PM
Prolific Member

Lightbulb

Owen, if the corporates do get the go ahead for a stand-alone apron, then it will free more space for the air carriers and the domestics could expand further to the east. It probably shouldn't be looked so much as an expansion for the corporates, but rather a relocation.
Perhaps sticking the corporates, air ambos and even regionals where the failed proposed shopping centre site is might just be the answer the jet carriers are looking for?

Last edited by Nigel C; 17th August 2009 at 08:01 PM.
Old 19th August 2009, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Argy View Post
From today's SMH:\

Speaking of hangars, I keep meaning to ask the significance of the numbers on the QF hangars opposite Terminal 3. 131, 271, etc, and 96 adjacent. Are they remnants of old street addresses, or building numbers, or something else?
Have often wondered this myself..... anyone know?
Old 25th August 2009, 03:59 PM

It is the number of buildings that has been built on the airport, so Hangar 96 was the 96th building on the airport.
Old 25th August 2009, 04:21 PM

Question Building numbers

So how many buildings are there at Sydney Airport? I assume from the numbers that it isn't confined to airside buildings?