Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Technical > Flying and Technical Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 28th April 2009, 10:04 AM

Default Sydney ATC frequency Locations

Ok this might seem a little stupid and somewhat straight forward, but never the less it has still bugged me. When listening to sydneys atc you hear all the different frequencies, but where are they located? Im guessing most of the sydney ones would be at sydney airport tower but for example what about

129.7 i think thats departures?
135.9 - sydney/richmond approach?
etc etc

The reason i ask is that especially with 135.9 sometimes i swear i hear a voice that is the same as somone thats on Richmond tower so i thought that frequency was based out of richmond but then i thought that wasnt right? And with all the melbourne/brisbane centers are they respectively in either melbourne or brisbane?

Thanks for your help, even though it might be a simple question/stupid one!
Gerard
Old 28th April 2009, 11:09 AM

Hey Gerard,

I'm not exactly sure where all the transmitters are placed, they could be all over the place!

However, if you hear the same controller on differen't frequencies, sometimes they patch their frequencies so they can control multiple sectors at one time, most likely due to low traffic - but I'm sure there'd be other reasons also
Old 28th April 2009, 11:17 AM

Sydney TCU is based at the old control tower - Approach, Departures, Radar, Terminal - I thought it includes Approach 135.9 too but after reading this thread, maybe not.

Sydney Ground, Tower are located in the control tower - does the controller of Clearance Delivery also located in the tower or the TCU?

The controllers at Melbourne and Brisbane Centres are located at Melbourne and Brisbane respectively. Brisbane Centre is located next to Brisbane Tower from memory and Melbourne Centre is located near Melbourne Airport (South-west of the terminals).

At night, after 2130 or so, I often hear the same controller on Brisbane Centre 123.4 and 133.0 and Sydney Radar, Approach and Departures often have the same controller at late night too (129.7, 128.3, 124.55, 135.1).

Last edited by Michael Mak; 28th April 2009 at 11:25 AM.
Old 28th April 2009, 01:23 PM

Thanks Michael, that explains why one minute you hear someone on one frequencey and then the next they are on a different one. Very noticable when there is an american accent there that i hear a lot!
As for the patching i think they do that for sydney radar etc about after 8ish when i hear it.
Old 28th April 2009, 01:25 PM
Prolific Member

Clearance delivery at Sydney is done from within the New Control Tower.
Old 28th April 2009, 01:45 PM

Go to http://web.acma.gov.au/pls/radcom/as...e.range_lookup and search for the frequency you are interested in with postcodes for example, 2000 - 2999. Click on the links in the search results to get the site details.
Old 29th April 2009, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel C View Post
Clearance delivery at Sydney is done from within the New Control Tower.
Thanks Nigel.
Old 2nd May 2009, 05:55 PM

Thanks for all the help guys, much appreciated again.

Gerard
Old 7th May 2009, 09:57 AM

Additionally the ground transmitter location may change if back-up equipment is in use, eg 123.0 normally at Centrepoint will move to the airport (old Tower I think for that one) if primary equipment is not in use, due to works or the controller manually selecting it to vary the coverage.
SY APP/DEP uses 5 or 6 different sites, Blue Mountains, Woronora, Centrepoint, 2 different locations at the airport, might be one I've forgotten.
I *think* all the Tower freq except some ATIS transmitters are on the new Tower itself.
Old 7th May 2009, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard M View Post
The reason i ask is that especially with 135.9 sometimes i swear i hear a voice that is the same as somone thats on Richmond tower so i thought that frequency was based out of richmond but then i thought that wasnt right?
135.9 is a SY ATC frequency, locatged on the Blue Mountains. I think RIC Tower can select it but it would be VERY unusual for them to transmit on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard M View Post
And with all the melbourne/brisbane centers are they respectively in either melbourne or brisbane?
The controllers for ML/BN Centre sectors are based in the respective centres, the ones you can hear are however using frequencies in the Sydney basin as VHF is only line of sight, so if the frequency was in ML they couldn't talk to aircraft over Sydney.