Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Technical > Flying and Technical Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 8th May 2009, 06:29 AM

Default Question for the Commerical Pilots (Airline)

NOTE: This is not a gripe, whinge, moan or any other related synonyms. It is merely a query.

On Monday I traveled from CBR to BNE on QF948. Being a bit of a plane geek (as I guess we all are in some form or another) I handed in my flight info sheet to the cabin crew for details of the flight (see attached)

I have written at the top to "please fill in as much or as little as you wish". However, I was quite surprised to get my form back when exiting the aircraft. The only boxes filled contained YSCB and YBBN.

On walking up the aerobridge I quietly screwed the paper into a ball and stuck it in my pocket.

I was in BNE for legal matters and was chatting to the Det-Sgt while gf was 'powdering her nose'. Whilst chatting to him the Capt on this flight came up to me and apologised for not filling in much on the form. I said that I was okay with it as I never expect them to do it, just if they want to or feel so inclined. What he said next kinda surprised me. That some of the details I had asked for were sensitive and if something was to go wrong with the flight then it wasn't the sort of information he would want a pax to have. He then went on to say that I probably knew more of the details than he would. Not likely though as thats why I ask for them in the first place

My questions then,,are ,

What information on this form would/could be classed as sensitive ??

Would any of the pilots who frequent this board have any issues providing any of the information requested ??

If so, could you elaborate further ?

I want to stress again that this isn't a gripe against this crew. I am more curious about the sensitivity of the information I ask for and whether I should refrain from presenting this form again.
I was certainly grateful to the Capt for coming up to me in the arr hall and talking to me about his concerns. Obviously he had no reason to have to explain himself so the gesture was appreciated.

Thoughts ? Musings ?

Cheers
R
Old 8th May 2009, 07:06 AM

It's an interesting question, Rod, but basically it comes down to the Captain on the day. While airline pilots are highly standardised on matters that pertain to the operation and management of their aeroplanes, and their company SOPs, they tend to have a broad palette of ideas about the peripheral issues. They are human, after all.

Most Captains I know would find the data you asked for quite innocent and happily oblige, but that doesn't mean that this particular Captain doesn't have a very valid point. I'm sure an enthusiast's data card from the Emirates tailscrape at MEL - containing takeoff data - would be called upon in any subsequent investigation, for example.

Bottom line, there's no harm in sending it up to the flight deck, and your approach of asking for 'as much or as little' data as they're prepared to give is the right one to take.
Old 8th May 2009, 07:25 AM

Maybe some type of declaration that your document cannot be used in a legal setting? That the figures indicated are a rough guide, and may not possibly be the actual figures on that particular flight. Even though they probably will be the correct figures. It might make the thought process for the pilots a little easier.

Just a thought.
Old 8th May 2009, 09:11 AM

G'day,

I agree with Will that the questions you have asked are harmless enough, however I'm sure you're more than aware that these days if you have even a minor incident it usually makes the 7 o'clock news, containing all sorts of wild speculations.

I'm not for a moment suggesting that you would go running to the media with any detail, but the Captain doesn't know that, and so I can see how he is a little cautious. Most crew would fill out most of your data sheet with no issues - they might leave a few areas blank.

These days crew are reasonably suspicious of anything that isn't "day to day", and sometimes don't have the time to really think through it. An example that I have had was on a flight from SIN to MEL, the passenger wanted to know "exactly" when we were over the top of Ularu. It was a night flight, and he would be unable to see it. It was probably a completely harmless question, but in this day and age of securty, it makes you think twice.

If you still like to get the information, I'd keep sending the form up, and most of the time you'll get some answers I'd say . Your approach of being very polite and enquiring is the right one, and should get a good response most of the time.
Old 8th May 2009, 10:55 AM

I can't see anything there that's remotely in need of being secret.
Old 8th May 2009, 01:09 PM

Lightbulb Other concerns

Perhaps 'secrecy' was an excuse for burdensome. After all, there's more than 50 items of information being sought, some of which might require reference to an information source rather than being top of mind.

What about amending the form so that it says something like "if you get a spare 10 minutes during the flight I'd be grateful for as much or as little of the requested information as you are able to give me for my flight logs"?
Old 8th May 2009, 01:21 PM

do you fill in some of the form before it goes to the cockpit, eg gate, runway used, off-block time etc

so they guys know what you are talking about?
Old 8th May 2009, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Argy View Post
Perhaps 'secrecy' was an excuse for burdensome.
That's more likely.
Old 9th May 2009, 11:25 PM

I have many forms from my and my parents' travels and in the majority of cases, they are fully completed. If the crews omit information, it is most often their names, followed by passenger numbers, which can both be considered sensitive information. In one case I was flying BA from London to Singapore after a strike and a flight attendant asked me if my parents were journalists as the pilots wanted to know if the information they would provide might be disseminated in the media. However, pilots rarely treat my forms with this level of suspicion.

Andrew, on a short sector I will give the form to a flight attendant before I take my seat. On longer sectors I keep it with me until after takeoff and fill in some fields.
Old 11th May 2009, 03:01 PM

Rod,

What might be helpful is filling out as much as you can before sending it forward.

Then the skipper will have some idea that you are aviation savvy, etc.

It probably all boils down to what mood the skipper is in on the day.

There is nothing secretive about your request for information , the AIP for instance is accessable by just about anyone.

Myself, I would be helpful to anyone who showed interest. Aviation is the world's most exciting industry

As my grandchildren reach the age of 2, I teach them about Qantas and what it means to be an Aussie.