Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 28th May 2009, 11:12 AM

Default Qantas warns over discount air fares unless charges cut

Is Joyce just looking for an excuse to hike up fares to make some cash or is he for real?

Have DJ complained about airport costs?

Would love to hear peoples thoughts on this issue.

Quote:
By Geoff Easdown

May 28, 2009 12:00am

QANTAS chief Alan Joyce has warned discount air fares will end unless the nation's airports trim costs and stopped charging for everything imaginable.

Mr Joyce said Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane ranked in the top five airports in the world as measured by operating margins.

The three airports netted margins ranging from 65 per cent to 71 per cent, he said in an address to a Melbourne business lunch.

And he revealed the airline pays $700 million a year to the nation's airport operators.

"Airports are very good at earning revenue and producing profits out of everything you can imagine," he said afterwards.

"I think if they could charge for oxygen at the airport they probably would because they do earn a lot of fees out of everything they can."

Flight fees: Qantas to penalise long-legged passengers

Mr Joyce said Qantas was discounting heavily to stimulate travel, but the low prices that kept customers buzzing through airport terminals were unsustainable in the long term unless the airports trimmed operating margins.

And in a direct criticism of Brisbane airport management, he complained that the airport had recently imposed a 30 per cent increase on Jetstar.

"If we include Auckland, four out of the top five highest margin airports in the world form significant parts of the Qantas Group network," Mr Joyce noted.

He contrasted the Australia-New Zealand situation with Frankfurt-Hahn, Malaysia, Singapore and Hong Kong airports which had reduced charges to help stimulate demand in the present economic climate.

He added that constructive discussions were continuing with the managers of both Gold Coast and Melbourne airports.

"But so far no major airport has agreed to lower its charges in an effort to cooperatively stimulate passenger demand," he said.

"Worse, we are still getting proposals to increase leasing and staff car parking charges significantly".

Mr Joyce had earlier disclosed that Qantas was cashed up with $3 billion in the bank and was better placed than its rival to withstand the economic downturn.

He also told how the airline had funding facilities in place to cover all aircraft purchases until 2010, which he said gave "certainty to our operating going forward"
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegrap...013605,00.html
Old 28th May 2009, 12:14 PM

Quote:
QANTAS chief Alan Joyce has warned discount air fares will end unless the nation's airports trim costs and stopped charging for everything imaginable.
That reminds me of another company... oh yeah, Qantas!
Old 28th May 2009, 12:29 PM
Administrator

Really Mike? Because last time I flew Qantas, my food and drinks were free, I didn't have to pay any extra for my exit row, and my airfare included my checked luggage?
Old 28th May 2009, 01:48 PM

and a free newspaper, an update C9 news, a free IFE, free pillow & blankets, etc etc
Old 28th May 2009, 02:51 PM
Administrator

I think it is more accurate to say that Qantas' inflight services such as meals, IFE, pillows, newspaper etc. are included in the ticket price, rather than free.
ABQ ABX ACV ADD ADL AKL ALB AMA AMS ANC ARN ATH ATL AUA AUH AUS AVL AVV AZA BCN BDL BFL BGO BGR BHD BHM BHQ BIL BIS BKI BKK BLD BLI BLV BNA BNE BOG BOI BOJ BOS BRO BSB BTR BUF BUD BUR BWI BZE BZN CAI CBR CGK CHC CHS CLE CLT CMH CNS CNX COS CPH CPT CTG CTS CUE CUN CUZ CVG CXF CYS CZM DAL DBO DCA DEN DFW DLH DOH DRW DSM DTW DUD DUR DXB ECP ELP EUG EWR EYW EZE FAI FAR FAT FCA FCO FLG FLL FNL FNT FRA FRS FSD FU'K FWA GCN GDL GDN GEG GGW GIG GJT GOT GRI GRR GRU GSP GTF GUA GVA GYE HAM HAN HBA HBE HEL HHH HKD HKG HLZ HND HNL HOU HRL HSV HVB IAD IAH ICN ICT IDA IND INV ISP IST ITM ITO JAB JAX JFK JNB JNU JOG JTR KEF KGC KIX KMI KMJ KMQ KOA KRK KTN KUL LAS LAX LBB LBE LEJ LFT LGA LGB LHR LIH LIM LIN LIT LRD LST MAD MAF MAO MCI MCO MCT MCY MDE MDT MDW MEL MEM MEX MFE MFR MHU MIA MID MKE MNL MOB MOT MQL MRY MSN MSO MSP MSY MTJ MTY MUC MVD MXP MZT NAN NAS NRT NTL OAG OAK OGG OKA OKC OMA OME ONT OOL ORD OSL OTZ OUI PAE PBG PDX PEK PER PHL PHX PIA PIT PLO PLZ PNH PSC PSG PSP PTY PVD PVG PVR PVU RAP RDD RDM RDU REC REP RIC RIX RNO ROC RSW SAL SAN SAT SAV SBA SBD SBN SBP SCK SCL SDF SDU SEA SFO SGF SGN SGU SHA SHV SIN SIT SJC SJD SJO SJU SLC SMF SMX SNA SOF SSA STL STS SUN SYD SYO SYR TIJ TLL TMW TPA TPE TSV TUL TUS TWF TYS VAR VIE VNO VPS WAW WDH WGA WLG WRG WVB XIY XNA YEG YHM YHZ YKM YOW YQB YQG YQM YTZ YUL YUM YVR YWG YXE YYC YYJ YYT YYZ ZRH

Next Trips:
21-24JUN LAS-GJT-LAS G4
29-30JUN LAS-FAT-LAS WN/G4
03-09JUL LAS-MAN/LHR-LAS VS
13-14JUL LAS-DTW-LAS WN/DL
20-21JUL LAS-DEN-CPR-DEN-LAS UA
27-28JUL LAS-YVR/YCD-YVR-LAS AC/WS
03-04AUG LAS-SAN-LAS WN/F9
10-11AUG LAS-LAX-JAC-SLC-LAS UA/DL
17-18AUG LAS-SEA-KTN-SEA-LAS AS
24-25AUG LAS-SLC/EKO-SLC-LAS DL
29AUG-03SEP LAS-MSP-TVC-DFW-LAS SY/AA
06-08SEP LAS-ANC-ADQ-ANC-LAS AS
14-16SEP LAS-CLT-LAS AA
20-22SEP LAS-DEN-XWA-LAS UA/SY
28-29SEP LAS-DEN-LAS UA
07-12NOV LAS-DUB-LAS EI
28NOV-02DEC LAS-OGG-MKK-HNL-LAS HA/9X
19DEC LAS-LAX UA
01-02FEB LAS-SEA-LAS AS
15-18FEB LAS-EWR/BTV-ORD-LAS UA
Old 28th May 2009, 04:23 PM
Banned

Marty H - please do not continually quote the post directly above your reply. It is not necessary - mod.

Which is why QF are saying airports need to reduce what they charge QF as their yeild is down due to having to provide everything in a ticket price they are have to charge to compete against DJ, which make revenue off all the above that QF provide.
Old 28th May 2009, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Knudsen View Post
Really Mike? Because last time I flew Qantas, my food and drinks were free, I didn't have to pay any extra for my exit row, and my airfare included my checked luggage?
The first step is the extra fee for the "more legroom" seats, starting in June ( ? ). 80$ short haul, 160$ longhaul = 2500$ per flight for QF. I think, thats a good idea, if I can choose explicit my seat at the booking process.
Old 28th May 2009, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Knudsen View Post
drinks were free,
Not if you want a wine or beer.... flew to CNS and they wanted $$$ for it
Old 28th May 2009, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Morrison
Not if you want a wine or beer.... flew to CNS and they wanted $$$ for it
Alcoholic drinks are complimentary only on weekday CityFlyer flights after 16:00 (12:00 from PER).

None
Old 28th May 2009, 08:51 PM

That will be the next thing to go.......

If they have stooped to charging for exit row seats they will cull free booze before long.