Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Technical > Flying and Technical Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 23rd March 2009, 03:50 PM

Default Prerequisites required for a commercial pilots licence

Hello all,

Just a general inquiry as to the prerequisites required for becoming a commercial pilot at either a flying school, ADFA or through a cadetship?

Last time I checked all that was required for the defence force was 2U maths, English and another board approved subject. However, as of late, I read that the required subjects are chem, physics and 2U maths.

I'm particularly concerned as to whether I need Physics to become a pilot?

Please note that I am asking for the prerequisites required to become a pilot, not to be an aeronautical engineer. They are different right?

Thanks in advance
Old 23rd March 2009, 10:16 PM

Mate I'm an ex-747 Captain.
I went as far as high school, and I can tell you for a fact that all you need to fly just about any jet anywhere in the world is to be able to add, subtract, and multiply & divide by three.
Old 24th March 2009, 06:19 AM

hi
go on the websites and they should tell you. I know qantas require 2unit maths and english. Physics is a good subject to have as it pops in and out of the requirements:-)
Old 24th March 2009, 06:43 AM

Peter, I am studying Aeronautical Engineering, which involves far more complex Maths and Physics than you would encounter as a pilot.

I have only done my PPL theory exam, but from what I have read of CPL theory, 2U Maths and Physics would help in facilitating your understanding of the material. I'm sure many others on the board who have gone all the way to ATPL will be able to comment further. I tend to think that the specific topic knowledge or algebraic skills which these subjects develop are less important than the conceptual understanding and problem solving techniques they offer.

Requirements differ between airlines (or ADFA) so check on the respective websites.
Old 24th March 2009, 12:23 PM

You'll need plenty of passion and enthusiasm.....

......To deflect all the obstacles in your path
Old 24th March 2009, 06:21 PM

I have up to & including ATPL's - I didn't study 2U Maths (However did do a course to help out an application to a specific airline) or Physics & have not found a need for it. As Bill said if you can count/divide/multiply/subtract etc you should have no issues.

What's required practically however is not always reflected in airlines/defence force requirements so check out those websites for their requirements.

In the event you don't have them, there are a lot of courses you can do fairly quickly to meet the minimum requirements.