Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Technical > Flying and Technical Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 22nd February 2009, 06:02 PM

Default Difference between 150hr and 200hr CPL course

Could someone please explain the difference between the 150hr and 200hr CPL course? Why isn't everyone eligible to do the 150hr course? How does GST exemption fit into the scheme of things?

Thanks!
Old 22nd February 2009, 06:22 PM
Lukas M

Hi Edward,
I am also going through the training process at current, and had the same question little while back..so here's the drill.
150hr CPL is a more structured course that integrates the theory with the flying, and is GST exempt. Any Hours done outside of the 150hr CPL cannot be included in the hours(even if done overseas). With the 150 hours course, the theory and flying training are coordinated, whereas for the 200 hour option, they are often arranged separately. Examples of requirements for 150hr:
-Student Pilot must have accumulated 5 hours dual flying before attempting your BAK.
-Must have at least 70hrs of the 150 flown as Pilot in Command (100 PIC for 200syllabus)
-Need to have started Nav Training before passing the private pilot written exam

Entrants requirements for 150hr CPL:
-Class 1 Med
-Signed letter of intent
-Letter from previous provider of flight training indicating that prior training was done in accordance with the 150hr syllabus..or your logbook?

Choosing the 200hr CPL has its advantages, some more Cross-Country Experience is available of course, NVFR, AR, IR perhaps ?...bit more experience there..and a bit more cash is needed though

Only some flying schools I have since discovered do the 150hr CPL course, you can transfer from 200 to 150, but need to go through those entrants requirements I said above..If you have the $$$, then the 200syllabus might be a good choice, but if you only want the basics to begin with, mabye shoot for the 150hr.
Very confusing stuff, but once you get your head around it all, its smooth sailing.

If you need more help, I always find the CASA website handy

Last edited by Lukas M; 22nd February 2009 at 06:51 PM.
Old 22nd February 2009, 10:09 PM

Edward - it's difficult to explain the differences over a discussion board post especially as the path people choose is normally dictated by their circumstances.

I suggest you contact a Chief Flying Instructor to chat to about the options best for you.

In general most students looking to do a CPL would go through the 150 hour option - it's normally more cost effective both due to the 50 less hours and that it's GST free.
Old 23rd February 2009, 09:14 AM

Ed,

one more thing to add. There has just been fee help recently assigned to accredited flying schools/universities/tafes on specific courses which is approximately an 85,000 payout by the Government to the person learning to fly with the system much like HECS as the individual pays it back over time after earning over the threshold income somewhere in the high 40ks- think its about 48,000 P.A.

For anyone considering the 150hr/200 hr courses the above option is highly attractive as the challenge of securing a loan becomes much easier, however it is imperative to check with flight training provider beforehand as i know quite a few at Bankstown promising to provide the aforementioned without even having the accreditation or being legally given the right by both houses of parliament (which is required for fee help provision).

here is a link for the fee help-
http://www.dest.gov.au/sectors/train...nformation.htm

and it will involve most likely doing a diploma or university degree to get the fee help assistance.

Just thought id add this to the mix as it is new information/scheme by the Government to make flying training more affordable/accessible.
Old 23rd February 2009, 03:33 PM

hi
i am on a 150 course at the moment and is pretty much as said above. 200 hours gives you a litle bit more freedom were 150 is strict so it is up to you on which one you would like to do